Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:13 PM

38 posts, read 143,972 times

Advertisements

I need to replace my 30-gallon water heater which is about 20 years old. How much will it cost me? (I was given a quote of $750 for the job by a local company) . Any recommendations as to who I should hire for this job? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 01:22 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,788 times
Seems fair but I don't have experience in the area. Get 3 quotes and see how they compare. I believe there are some new technologies out there as well.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:56 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
That's not unreasonable, assuming we're talking about a reputable, licensed plumber who's going to pull a permit for the job and properly dispose of the old hot water heater.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:34 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,372,113 times
Hi, we just got a new 40 gallon tank about 2 weeks ago. Hubby purchased from Home Depot. The heater was cheap, I think around $350 or something. But the installation,labor, county fees, and separate attachment required brought the total to $740.00 or so.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:18 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Seems fair but I don't have experience in the area. Get 3 quotes and see how they compare. I believe there are some new technologies out there as well.
You might want to consider tankless water heater technology. It costs more to install, but consumes less energy (so saves money and is more environmentally friendly) and you never run out of hot water.

I haven't used one of these units personally, so my comments are just hearsay. Tankless water heating is pretty standard in Europe, I've read. Home Depot and plumbing suppliers sell the units.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:28 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
You might want to consider tankless water heater technology. It costs more to install, but consumes less energy (so saves money and is more environmentally friendly) and you never run out of hot water.

I haven't used one of these units personally, so my comments are just hearsay. Tankless water heating is pretty standard in Europe, I've read. Home Depot and plumbing suppliers sell the units.

I was about to suggest the same. Try the tankless units. Yes, they've been in use in Europe for some time (in prevalence in Belgium for a while). There was a small unit (in the bathroom) at an office I worked at. Constant and instant hot water.

I'm not sure about costing more to install. I'd have to check on that.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Get quotes on the tankless systems, as the last time I checked (2-3 years ago), it cost about twice as much to get one with installation than a traditional heater. However, costs may have gone down since then, and over the life of one, you do save $$$ in gas costs, so eventually they pay for themselves.

Note there are different types of systems, too. Some of them require 2.5 gallons of water per minute to be pulled through the pipes before they kick on, so let's say you install a brand new 1.5 gal/min shower head - you may not have any hot water when using it as it won't pull enough water through to turn the tankless system on. Other tankless systems are designed to activate with less water pulling through, etc. I'm sure experienced plumbers will be able to go over your options.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:21 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
An Energy Star rated tankless gas or propane water heater would qualify for the tax credit. In round numbers, 30% of cost(reaching a $1500 max credit for all Energy Star improvements this year and next, I believe) could be realized in a tax credit provided you are not taking over $1500 for all improvements such as insulation, windows, heating and a/c, etc. Many of the suppliers of Energy Star products will speak of a '30% discount'...when THEY are not discounting ANYTHING--they are speaking of the tax credit. You might consider the tax credit when comparing water heaters.(many will qualify).

It's fairly uncommon to have a conventional water heater run 'smoothly' for 20 years(ours was 22 years old when replaced)...consider your 'luck' when you look at the big picture.

If all current codes are met and the unit you are getting is a good one, I believe your estimate is in line...you could probably upgrade the unit for another hundred bucks or so, if you are so inclined. Good luck!

Old 12-16-2009, 09:37 PM

97 posts, read 355,554 times
Sounds about right. Fairly easy to install but prolly should have a plumber do it.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:17 AM

38 posts, read 143,972 times
Thank you all for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta