Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 01:20 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times

Advertisements

Beverly Scott is not the problem. We are very fortunate to have her here, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 07:08 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
why?

Old 02-08-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
why?
For starters, she is well enough regarded by her peers to hold the title of Chairperson of the American Public Transport Association (APTA).

National Journal Online -- Transportation Experts -- Contributor Profile (http://transportation.nationaljournal.com/contributors/Scott.php - broken link)

Do a little research on this fine woman, and try not to be impressed with her accomplishments in her chosen field.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Well, I know the Asian community here is certainly glad to have her here (sarcasm). I wonder if there will be a special "yellow fare" when the new structure goes into place? double

Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, I know the Asian community here is certainly glad to have her here (sarcasm). I wonder if there will be a special "yellow fare" when the new structure goes into place? double
Greg, I have to admit I could hardly believe it when I read that article.

Am I a jerk for thinking these folks are being just a little hyper-sensitive?

I called a good friend earlier that happens to be Korean, to get her take. After she stopped laughing, she said "they need to get a life."

Last edited by johnatl; 02-08-2010 at 10:26 PM..

Old 02-08-2010, 09:59 PM

210 posts, read 455,117 times
Although I'm not exactly the most sensitive and easily offended person you'll ever meet, I did wonder why Doraville was chosen to be the "yellow" line terminus. I always thought that orange would have served well enough...

Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillemeister View Post
Although I'm not exactly the most sensitive and easily offended person you'll ever meet, I did wonder why Doraville was chosen to be the "yellow" line terminus. I always thought that orange would have served well enough...

But, yellow is a primary color. I would choose yellow before orange.

For line naming...

Blue
Red
Yellow

Green
Orange
Purple

Pink, etc.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:11 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Greg, I have to admit I could hardly believe it when I read that article.

Am I a jerk for thinking these folks are being just a little hyper-sensitive?

I called a good friend earlier that happens to be Korean, to get her take. After she stopped laughing, she said "they need to get a life."

No, not a jerk. I'm actually with you on this.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:45 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times
I'm in favor of it. They've done this on the Bay Area Rapid Transit system and the DC Metrorail for years

Old 02-09-2010, 01:10 PM

288 posts, read 959,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Hey, well, join the club! So far, a handful of people who habitually complain about me have said I'm the cause of global warming, the floods a few months ago, and somewhere along the time Bush/Obama, the most recent snow storm, and the earthquake in Haiti fall in there, too. My can is open - just dump this in there, too.

And they're called "zone fares", which are used in many transit agencies in the U.S. and the world, and are a very fair way of charging people by distance traveled. I mean, when you ride a cab it's usually not a flat fare under normal circumstances. When you drive your own car you're burning more gas $ per mile, etc. Transit isn't/shouldn't be any different.

The Breeze tap card system they put in place theoretically makes this simple. You just keep your card charged up with cash, and would tap it as you leave a station as opposed to before you enter it as you do now. Then the proper amount of funds would be taken off the card as you leave the exiting station. You travel 1-3 stops and may only then have to pay 75-cents, but suburbanites who part at Doraville might have to pay $3.00 each way, etc. Fair. Too bad they took a couple of decades to figure it out.
Next thing ya know we will be naming the next big hurricane "Hurricane Greg" LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta