Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:42 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibseysgirl View Post
Hi there,
I have been searching and asking for suggestions as to where in GA would be a good area to relocate with the same issues you have. I lived in MA(Boston) and in NH so I am use to crime so to speak as well and I am also used to good schools and neiborhoods. I have been told the same as you to stay out of Norcross and also Macon...they are both very bad from what I have been told although I do not have first hand knowledge. I have also been told that the two towns you mention Lawrenceville and Duluth are both well respected and nice areas with good schools. Another place I have been told to check out is Cummings. I have checked all of these out and they all have there draws so to speak and I have not found any negatives but I am sure every place has some...give different people have different ideas, criteria, etc...I have also gone on each towns websites and the school pages as well to check out areas....I just suggest you make a list of what you desires are and either do interenet research and or call the towns (or realtors) and get some feedback from them as well.
Good Luck and let me know if you dont mind what you find out. If you would like me to do the same I would be happy too...Good Luck
Lisa
I forgot to mention Cumming is in Forsythe(sp?) county vs some other well liked and refered area which as in Fulton Country(which has higher taxes etc)
Good Luck,
Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 7,268 times
Default North GA

I have lived in clayton cty and their school system is not to be compared to North Ga school systems. I say Gwinett, Cobb any of North Ga, any way I am originally from NY and it will give you a step up with a slash of the city.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:09 AM
vst

21 posts, read 107,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
California real estate prices are a game of their own. You can look at areas near airports all around the country and in virtually all of them property values are lower then other areas of the city. People don't like living near airports.

Property values are higher on the north side because the north side offers amenities and jobs which are the south can't even begin to rival. It would be nice to live on the south side but if I have to drive 45 minutes north to just do the kind of grocery shopping I want to do, its not worth it to me. As far as jobs, sure if you are a teacher or a police officer or work at Home Depot you can find a job on the south side easily, but if you are an accountant or a lawyer or an engineer you are likely going to have to drive to the north side and deal with the traffic anyway because there are many more opportunities there.

And therein lies the MISINFORMATION that keeps prices on the Southside tame and the liveability factor high. I used to live on the Northside buddy and I can buy whereever I choose (can afford a lot more than where I currently live) and there are parts of Atlanta, Decatur, Dunwoody, Norcross, Chamblee, Duluth, Doraville and even BUFORD which I would not touch with a 50 foot pole. North Atl truly has some truly Ghetto slums in areas where people THINK slums do not exist. It's funny how media perception has molded this thinking.

Either way, I choose to pay less for more and I can spot a bad deal when I see one from miles away. My friend bought a new 350k single family home 2 years ago in Gwinnett in an area he "thought" was upscale. I started to laugh when I pulled into his tiny cluster home he bought and paid 300% more than what it was actually worth. 2 years later and there are foreclosures galore in his neighborhood and plenty of new construction surrounding his quickly depreciating asset. I guess he can look at the bright side: At least he's up North.

Does anybody remember a time when Gwinnett was trailer parks and Dekalb County and "inside the perimeter" was considered off-limits? I do. It's amazing how perceptions change when a bunch of developers get together and mold the masses into obedient citizens.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:22 AM
vst

21 posts, read 107,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLienGirl View Post
Thank you, for speaking out for the southside, I thought I was the only one for a minute. There are not that many recommendations for relocating on the southside; most are East Cobb, Alpharetta, Lawrenceville, Roswell, Etc. The few I've heard are Henry County and Fayette down here, again, places with money (although Henry is much cheaper). Even if I had money, I would NEVER move up there, just like many north side residents would NEVER move down here. It's all good, I love being around this "certain class of people" and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm still alive and I haven't been shot, stabbed, robbed, or anything else.

Ratio does not constitute a high foreclosure rate. I said that Clayton was nowhere near the foreclosure dilema as Fulton and other "pricey" places. That article was a joke, and obviously, wasn't read all the way through. The media LOVES to pry on Clayton County, I tell you. Oh well, less traffic headaches for us since everyone's avoiding us and leaving.

The article was INTENTIONALLY misleading. Since most people only read the headlines, I'm sure the majority in this thread honestly believe that the highest number of foreclosures are on the Southside. It only takes some simple elementary math to understand that it can never be so. The higher the cost, the more likely the foreclosure and the rate of default. Plain and simple.

The author gives you a graph of the surrounding areas and the number of foreclosures and Henry and Clayton are at the bottom of the list (not the top). Also, somebody in the article said that "affordable housing" was an extinct animal in Henry county. What the heck is he smoking? More like affordable housing is extinct in North Metro ATL...

Old 06-11-2007, 06:46 AM

985 posts, read 5,758,569 times
Let's get back to positive thread, please. Which school in Clayton offer special education OP needs? What are some safe areas? What are some shopping options in Clayton? Those are infos OP probably can find more useful.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:01 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,004 times
I'm not sure what misinformation was included in my post. I choose to do the majority of my shopping at Whole Foods and now Trader Joes. I have not found a store which can rival either of these stores on the southside. I would shop at Kroger or Publix but they don't offer the types of products that I'm looking for. As far as jobs, I can tell you in my profession that virtually all the opportunities are north of I-20. Many other professions are similar. I don't think anybody has said that the northside was perfect, just if you are comparing Clayton to Gwinnett, Gwinnett comes out on top. I think the reason most people don't recommend Henry or Fayette County (both of which I think have many wonderful aspects) is because they are so far from where most people will be working.

I agree that the way the article was written it appears to indicate the southside is harder hit by foreclosures then other parts of the region but does not appear to provide any proof. However, I believe the original poster of the article posted it because it said Clayton County has the highest ratio of foreclosures in the region. Ratio is another word for rate, which is the primary concern of real estate experts and local governments. Unfortunately the articles does not say how that rate compares to other counties so we don't know how serious the problem is there.

I think JXU said it right. If the OP decides to move to Clayton County, where should they move? Do you think every part is just as good as the other or are there some neighborhoods which offer more then others? Which schools are the best? Where sill she find the best access to jobs? Etc.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:24 AM

103 posts, read 327,606 times
Default Thank You

That is exactly what I need. Better parts of Clayton, good schools for SP. Jobs. Pls know that I am not opposed to driving north for work. I live in Brooklyn, NY and I have to take the bus 20 mintues to the train 45 minutes to get to work.

Thank you for all of your points. But I do need this info also.

Thanks

Old 06-11-2007, 09:43 PM

103 posts, read 327,606 times
Default Ok, any info on good schools

Now that all the negs have been said. And people have just cooled off. Where are the good schools and jobs in clayton!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:18 AM

425 posts, read 1,755,716 times
Who am I to debate when someone tells you that the stats (ex: test scores) are not valid and keep insisting that the schools are good? I guess I would have to take his word for it since I am definitely not in the "know" when it comes to Clayton county. Numbers are still important to would be transplants since that is pretty much all they have available without having to temporarily live in said area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab1975 View Post
Now that all the negs have been said. And people have just cooled off. Where are the good schools and jobs in clayton!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:15 AM

85 posts, read 587,069 times
We are moving from Boston at the end of this month, we have researched a LOT, we decided to rent in the Buckhead area, and send our son to Sarah Smith school, coming from NY you may enjoy the life the city seems to have..
Our good friends live in Duluth, they like it, they have this area called Johns Creek nice houses, but from us coming from Boston that we are crowded here that area seems a little bit dull.
Anyway it's my appreciation from talking in this chat and researching.
At the beginning we need to feel "close" to everything, and have atmosphere of restaurants and nice stores..
Our friends love Duluth, good prices too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta