Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 06:08 PM

37 posts, read 212,207 times

Advertisements

I totaly agree with atlantagreg30127, the city of Atlanta has unexpectdly received people from all over the country, please go elsewhere, I just came from there, and trust me, people are moving about 50 miles noth and the average commute is like 1 hour to get to work...People quit moving there please....

Old 09-18-2006, 06:58 PM

148 posts, read 951,547 times
Default Georgia On My Mind

Georgia,

Weather-wise, much of what you list could be said of any city in the South. Yes, the South is hot. Yes, the South has bugs.

Crime-wise, much of what you list could be said of any large city with 4,000,000 residents.

Fundamentalism-wise, this is the South. Baptists rule. Baptists rule in Texas. Baptists rule in Bama. Baptists rule in South Carolina. Baptists rule even here in Georgia.

Greg, like many of the posters, doesn't want more people moving here. I do, but only non-fundamentalist, non-homophobic, liberal Democrats. Please move here.

Z

Old 09-18-2006, 09:28 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Joys of living in the Atlanta Area:

* Being panhandled in 3.5 seconds from the time you set foot outside your car when touring downtown.
------------------------------

That one was especially funny.

A friend of mine and I tried an experiment once not long ago. We rode MARTA downtown and exited at Peachtree Center (hotel district on Peachtree for newbies). We left the station, went streetside, and walked south those 4-5 blocks to Underground/Five Points. We were asked for money NINE times. NINE. Two additional people asked if they could "see" (as in hold) the camera I was carrying. I acted Russian and replied, NINE! LOL

Once we reached the park at Five Points, we counted 18 bums asleep on the grass and 2 asleep on the sidewalk. This number did NOT include the guy that was sleeping on the two million dollar fountain nearby they had installed for the Olympics in '96, or the guy who was peeing on the bush. My friend just looked at me and asked, "and what third world country are we in, now?"

This is the reason the city is quietly trying to "shift" the touristy downtown to the Centenial Park area around the Aquarium. There are now so many bums in the Five Points area panhandling and sleeping on the grass in that park, they can't do anything about it. Whenever they try to pass and enforce any type of vagrant law, the activists freak out, protest, and file lawsuits. So their answer is to leave the existing bums where they are, and shift focus to the aquarium/Centenial Park area, where the new World of Coke is also being built. This is why they pushed so hard to try to get the NASCAR museum as well, which would have been located across the park from the aquarium.

The plan is to build up that entire area as the new tourist spot. Tourists would exit MARTA at Peachtree Center and just walk West to the new spot, avoiding Peachtree entirely. The bums haven't taken over the new park area, so it's easy for them to nudge them away as opposed to the political mess of trying to clean up the Five Points area. As far as Underground goes at Five Points, I have heard rumors at least, that more than one city leader as said, "Let it die" as opposed to trying to clean up the area to save it.

Five years or so from now, downtown Atlanta is going to be vastly different. You'll have a glitzy glass and steel touristy area around the CNN and park/aquarium area, and Five Points will resemble something out of the "Thunderdome" movie.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:10 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
------------------------------

That one was especially funny.

A friend of mine and I tried an experiment once not long ago. We rode MARTA downtown and exited at Peachtree Center (hotel district on Peachtree for newbies). We left the station, went streetside, and walked south those 4-5 blocks to Underground/Five Points. We were asked for money NINE times. NINE. Two additional people asked if they could "see" (as in hold) the camera I was carrying. I acted Russian and replied, NINE! LOL

Once we reached the park at Five Points, we counted 18 bums asleep on the grass and 2 asleep on the sidewalk. This number did NOT include the guy that was sleeping on the two million dollar fountain nearby they had installed for the Olympics in '96, or the guy who was peeing on the bush. My friend just looked at me and asked, "and what third world country are we in, now?"

This is the reason the city is quietly trying to "shift" the touristy downtown to the Centenial Park area around the Aquarium. There are now so many bums in the Five Points area panhandling and sleeping on the grass in that park, they can't do anything about it. Whenever they try to pass and enforce any type of vagrant law, the activists freak out, protest, and file lawsuits. So their answer is to leave the existing bums where they are, and shift focus to the aquarium/Centenial Park area, where the new World of Coke is also being built. This is why they pushed so hard to try to get the NASCAR museum as well, which would have been located across the park from the aquarium.

The plan is to build up that entire area as the new tourist spot. Tourists would exit MARTA at Peachtree Center and just walk West to the new spot, avoiding Peachtree entirely. The bums haven't taken over the new park area, so it's easy for them to nudge them away as opposed to the political mess of trying to clean up the Five Points area. As far as Underground goes at Five Points, I have heard rumors at least, that more than one city leader as said, "Let it die" as opposed to trying to clean up the area to save it.

Five years or so from now, downtown Atlanta is going to be vastly different. You'll have a glitzy glass and steel touristy area around the CNN and park/aquarium area, and Five Points will resemble something out of the "Thunderdome" movie.
How about this one.
I was picking my wife up at the airport on Sunday.
Her plane was delayed at the last minute so I bought a paper and sat in the Atrium.
Minding my own business, at the airport, during so called increased security, I was actually panhandled 3 times!!!!

I keep asking my company for a job transfer. In 20 years I have been relocated 8 times and said Atlanta would be my final spot. After 2 years, I'm ready to go. I used to think Baltimore was awful, I think Atlanta wins!

Your right Greg, then again to get to the World of Coke ect. you will have to make it from 75/85 though a few streets to get there If Atlanta does not have a major government change Thunderdome will be here before you know it.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:21 PM

722 posts, read 3,316,843 times
Overall, I like the area. It's fast paced, exciitng, and is always changing. I see the negatives and can understand why some people wouldn't like it (Greg) but people should at least give it a try and form an opinion on their own. However, I really wish people would stop moving to the mountains up in Pickens and Dawson county. If it becomes another suburban parking lot I'll be crushed!

Old 09-19-2006, 08:18 PM

274 posts, read 860,490 times
I just moved here from Los Angeles. I love it. I'm from Virginia so it's great here. I've told all my friends that have sold their homes for $300,000-500,000.00 to move here and pay cash. The fruities are coming and they are flakey as a bed bug those CA people.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:47 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I've told all my friends that have sold their homes for $300,000-500,000.00 to move here .

All together now... "wonderfulllllllllllllllll"

Old 09-20-2006, 07:11 AM

238 posts, read 669,079 times
Default to all the georgia natives...

i feel your pain ~ i have been run out of my state( florida) and i am very sorry to add two more to your population. we did also buy up in dahlonega and we also do not want everyone to move here as its so nice now. i love it here and i love the alanta skyline and the big city lights. please try to understand we did not want to leave fl but had no choice. i am truly sorry for invading you ~ i wish all the transplants would have said that to us fl natives . i am going to put the word out to move to florida , its the best place ever.........new georgian!

Old 09-20-2006, 07:43 AM

126 posts, read 319,846 times
I'm just glad someone posted the name "Crap-Lanta" because so help me, if I hear one more person call it "Hot-Lanta" I am going to cry and kick my feet and pound my fists. It won't accomplish much, but I sure will feel better. Crap-lanta, the hub of the south.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:56 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
Is Atlanta becomming the new NYC? I cant believe how high the pop in Atlanta! Would this make it the 2nd or 3rd biggest city in usa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta