Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 03:15 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,100 times

Advertisements

People from all over are moving to Atlanta. Which region (city/or state) of people are hurting the reputation of Atlanta by continuing to move here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 03:17 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,712,763 times
It was new orleans for a bit, idk now...

Old 05-09-2010, 03:29 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,405,521 times
Tony, it is more the type of individual or group of individuals vs., the region in my book. Along with assimilation issues.

Example: 1 Bringing the poo here from where you came.

Can be the Northeast, Upper Midwest, West Coast California.

The person or group moves to the Southeast to get away from massive taxation, high cost of living, corrupt government, gestapo union drones like the New Jersey Education Association.

Then,,,,, once here the person or group of persons turn right around and vote, protest, or promote the same type of crap from which they ran to the place they came to get away from where they ran.

This is what will hurt Atlanta the most in my book.

Example 2: Assimilation

This is more of a national issue anymore than a local one. But let's put it in perspective. What is the old saying? "We don't care how you do it up _____________ (Insert region or country here).
All natives of this area should be proud to say this.
Something is attracting folks here even today in this economy.
Could it be something besides the weather? No different here than California or Florida and considering the number of refugee tags I see from those states its must be something related to Example 1. Hmmm

Hey! I'm an Eagles fan and a Met's fan. I love Jersey Italian food and the shore, but I'm not in Jersey anymore, I'm in Georgia!
I don't try to Jersey Georgia, God help if that happens (see example 1 again)
I watch and root for the Hawks and the Falcons, I enjoy going to different Que joints, I visit the High Museum and don't compare it to Chicago. I go to the Georgia mountains and support Georgia causes. I have a Georgia plate on my car and do not run around with my Jersey plate on the front.
I ask native Georgian's where to go and how do YOU do it down here.
My moniker says : Georgia not Jersey.
While here I am a Georgian in training, not a Jersey or West Virginian in exile.
Get my point?
Frankly, as a transplant I get sick and tired of seeing this type of crap I can only imagine the natives.

Just some thoughts.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:00 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,712,763 times
I agree, GA...

It's a guy from NYC who is constantly comparing ATL and NYC...its like, Go Back, already!

yeesh....

Old 05-09-2010, 04:12 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,197,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
It's a guy from NYC who is constantly comparing ATL and NYC...its like, Go Back, already!
Actually, it seems to be the wannabees who never lived up north and are from GA that seem to bash GA and think everywhere else is paradise. Those of us who moved here from elsewhere, as Georgia said, are more than aware of the reasons we did so. Having said that, I still recognize those things about GA that are bad, and would be bad no matter I lived.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:13 PM

15 posts, read 38,173 times
Sorry, but this has to be said and causes more damage than everyone's petty issues that they posted above: I think the ghetto people, the ghetto culture, and the homeless, panhandling vagrants throughout Downtown "ruin" it. I know so many people (many do not live here or have not been in awhile) that think Atlanta is "ghetto" and I constantly have to defend it. Is it ghetto? Yeah, some parts are (just like anywhere else). However, there are some really nice areas of the city too. Even though it is not entirely true, it sucks that our city's reputation is "ghetto".

Old 05-09-2010, 04:39 PM

143 posts, read 346,109 times
I don't think that the people from any particular region are "hurting" Atlanta - a regional identity isn't monolithic, and it's be extremely short-sighted to assume that everyone (or even most people) from a particular state or group of states is going to act the same when they get here. It just doesn't work that way, in practice.

Post-Katrina New Orleans was a special case, and the "negative" influence that moved to Atlanta after Katrina was mostly not made up of people that would have had the means to make moves of that nature otherwise. On average, the people that make regional moves are educated or skilled in some way and looking for more career opportunities, a better way of life, or even nicer weather. Poor people generally don't have the luxury of making those types of decisions - the "ghetto" people that the poster above me is referencing are mostly natives. The people that had the means to move here from the Northeast or the West, no matter their race, how they dress, or how you perceive them, likely aren't the ones committing crimes. There are exceptions, of course, but moving from region to region is an expensive undertaking and most often one accomplished by those who have at least modest means.

I'm a native, and I say that the more educated, skilled, positive people that move to the metro area, the better. The more that population grows, the more companies (and therefore jobs) will be attracted to the area, the tax base will grow, public works projects get completed, etc. A large population of skilled people that pay their own way is positive for everyone in the area, no matter if they were born here or if they moved here later.

At the same time, though, I wish people wouldn't move here, take advantage of all the positives, and then do nothing but complain about being in the South. Again, I'm a native (and born of native Southerners running back all the way back to the Civil War), but my religious and political beliefs run counter to what people would normally expect of the average Southerner. I still love it here, and that's because that's not all there is to the place. There's great folk culture - food, music, history that doesn't involve the Confederate flag (although it's equally important to learn and understand the part that does). There are a lot of positives to the way of life here, and I wish that more transplants would be more open-minded about what it means to be Southern.

And also, on a slightly lighter note, I would like to welcome with open arms any transplants that would like to open a good Italian restaurant or bagel joint. Y'all can stay.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:56 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1986 View Post
Sorry, but this has to be said and causes more damage than everyone's petty issues that they posted above: I think the ghetto people, the ghetto culture, and the homeless, panhandling vagrants throughout Downtown "ruin" it. I know so many people (many do not live here or have not been in awhile) that think Atlanta is "ghetto" and I constantly have to defend it. Is it ghetto? Yeah, some parts are (just like anywhere else). However, there are some really nice areas of the city too. Even though it is not entirely true, it sucks that our city's reputation is "ghetto".
Yeah unfortunately the media image of this city sucks. Real Housewives of Atlanta anyone? Did they all have to be ghetto trash - even Kim? Hopefully soon the "money, *******, and bling" image of this city will wear off as more and more of these $30,000 millionaires go broke and can't pay their credit cards and leases anymore.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:33 PM

128 posts, read 215,348 times
lol...this post is funny. I can just see how this topic gonna take a racial turn for the worse. I wasnt aware, however, that this city was hurting for anything. I happen to think Atlanta is a very nice place to live, compared to other major cities in America. Even the worst of hoods in Atlanta would seem like a suburb to places like Compton, 5th Ward Houston, and Magnolia housing projects in N.O.

Also, I would really appreciate it if those who stayed outside 285 would gain a more well rounded perspective on issues that are ITP. Honestly, I feel as if sometimes those that are ITP northward have a very high and mighty opinion of themselves in regard to areas like Atlanta proper, Dekalb, Clayton, etc. (maybe perhaps b/c these areas are predom. black? Hmm.....there's a thought. lol). From my observations, alot areas in Atlanta's East and southside are no worse or better than subdivisions Ive seen in areas like Duluth, Johns Creek, or Cobb county.

And as far as the media image of Atlanta sucks? Might that be because atlanta is portrayed with an ethno-centric flair, perhaps? Why is there such a movement among the residents of Northern greater Atlanta to erase every trace of "supposed" black culture out of Atlanta? No one told thousands of white families to desert Atlanta during the peak of integration and white flight. No one forced families to desert bankhead as to not be around any black families moving in. No one told any white family or forced them at gunpoint to flock in droves out of Decatur and in to Gwinnett.

I mean lets be honest. Atlanta has some serious issues regarding racism and often does such a poor job to cover it up. Atlanta is marketed as a city in the south that has supposedly surpassed the Jim Crow era mindset, therefore making it very affordable and attractive to those in other parts of America (especially middle class blacks from the NE and cali and other Southern Metros). Most transplants are suprised to see such a racially segregated area when they get here.

Nothing is wrong with Atlanta, by far, that isnt wrong in other parts of the country. This a great city, and if the suburbanites are so maligned by what they see ITP, then why move back and do something about it? I dont mean play the race card, but I gotta say I get inflamed when I read mess like this on this website.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:51 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,664,235 times
From my point of view, back when the economy was really chugging along, what hurt Atlanta was the number of people who thought they were just passing through. They would land here with a corporate transfer for a few years and then move on.

Consequently, our infrastructure for things like the arts and other cultural organizations is sadly lacking. It took Atlanta over 15 years to build a Children's Museum, for example, when other much smaller communities built better, larger, and more respected museums in a third or less of the time. (We were at one of the first fundraisers for the project and we didn't have children yet.) The High Museum of Art has struggled as has the Atlanta Symphony.

To many corporate executives have failed to invest in their temporary home and it shows.

Not exactly what you were asking -- but it is a symptom of a mindset that this isn't my home -- I am just passing through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta