Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 07:06 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times

Advertisements

Comparing to other cities like NYC doesn't make sense. It's all Manhattan and all very much a dense area, even the more low rise areas in between Lower and Middle Manhattan.

I never said that other cities don't have multiple skylines or edge cities. My point that most of the cities it's out of a good urban planning policy and that's especially true of Atlanta.

Virtually every city has suburban office parks, but it' ridiculous that an edge city like Perimeter exists.

I work in that area and it's a disaster.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:18 AM

369 posts, read 657,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Comparing to other cities like NYC doesn't make sense. It's all Manhattan and all very much a dense area, even the more low rise areas in between Lower and Middle Manhattan.

I never said that other cities don't have multiple skylines or edge cities. My point that most of the cities it's out of a good urban planning policy and that's especially true of Atlanta.

Virtually every city has suburban office parks, but it' ridiculous that an edge city like Perimeter exists.

I work in that area and it's a disaster.
What do you say of Tysons Corner in virginia that straddles the D.C. beltway? Its often been coined by the Washington Post as "one of the top 10 largest downtowns in the USA" which is totally ridiculous and stupid.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:30 AM

Tysons Corner is a burb.

I can't speak to the Post list. It's probably upsurd as most of those lists are.

There it's not unusual for some burbs to have town centers/downtowns.
The DC area has several surrounding communities like that.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:45 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Tysons Corner is a burb.

I can't speak to the Post list. It's probably upsurd as most of those lists are.

There it's not unusual for some burbs to have town centers/downtowns.
The DC area has several surrounding communities like that.
Dunwoody is a burb. It's about 11 miles from the CBD. Thank God for Dunwoody. As if people coming down from North Fulton don't have it bad enough, that they would have to add another schlep to get all the way downtown. Personally, I think the North Fulton corridor is the most desirable residential area in the Metro area, so Dunwoody/Perimeter works just fine for many. I used to live near Perimeter and went into downtown by MARTA, and sure would have loved to have a job near Perimeter.

As metros grow, because Americans want front and back yards, edge cities will continue to exist and grow.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:06 PM

We all know why they exist and that's part of the problem.

From a transportation stand point, not only is the area to car dependent, access is poor in terms of getting around, especially in the afternoons.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:45 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
After looking at Mapquest, I saw these where 485 splits off from 85, and begins its southward run. And I expected their ring road to be forested. Instead, all these vinyl houses sit in these subdivisions where all the trees were ripped out. Yes, Atlanta has some of that, but what I see when you go around their Perimeter, particularly on the southern end, are a lot of brick ranches inside the trees, styled the same way as their counterparts in Decatur and Brookhaven, that just happen to be in poor(er) neighborhoods. Flying into Hartsfield, from either direction, also confirms this.
I disagree and it's no more prevelant here than any other expanding burb...maybe you're seeing what you wanna see and believe. One anecdotal mapquest download coupled with an observed fly-in makes it a fact? Sounds like shotty research and an a$$ load of bias. Obviously you're not familiar with this area....still a lot of trees around here or maybe I'm seeing things.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:45 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
After looking at Mapquest, I saw these where 485 splits off from 85, and begins its southward run. And I expected their ring road to be forested. Instead, all these vinyl houses sit in these subdivisions where all the trees were ripped out. Yes, Atlanta has some of that, but what I see when you go around their Perimeter, particularly on the southern end, are a lot of brick ranches inside the trees, styled the same way as their counterparts in Decatur and Brookhaven, that just happen to be in poor(er) neighborhoods. Flying into Hartsfield, from either direction, also confirms this.
This is a very apples-to-oranges comparison. The I-485 loop in Charlotte pretty much represents the exurban extent of development from Charlotte itself and is a good bit newer than the Perimeter. You'd have to go out much farther than the I-285 Perimeter to see those areas in metro Atlanta as they are not concentrated along one particular corridor (northern Gwinnett, Barrow, north Cobb, Bartow, Cherokee, Douglas, Rockdale, etc.).

And I'm not sure why you'd expect an interstate loop to be forested when it's typically the case that new development immediately follows the building of these roads.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:06 PM

12 posts, read 64,376 times
Can someone give me information on the 2 send me a message.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:55 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,558 times
Charlotte is what Birmingham looks like when it tries to be like Atlanta.

Lots of finance sector jobs but lacks in job diversity. But then there's the awesome Research Triangle which helps keep the state of North Carolina keep pace with (or surpass GA).

Atlanta is still the capital of the south when it comes to cities, but when it comes to states North Carolina with its larger population, the worlds largest research park, and an attractive "swing state" label is the leading state of the south.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:55 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Charlotte is what Birmingham looks like when it tries to be like Atlanta.

Lots of finance sector jobs but lacks in job diversity. But then there's the awesome Research Triangle which helps keep the state of North Carolina keep pace with (or surpass GA).

Atlanta is still the capital of the south when it comes to cities, but when it comes to states North Carolina with its larger population, the worlds largest research park, and an attractive "swing state" label is the leading state of the south.

Georgia has a larger population than North Carolina.

However, prior to 2000, North Carolina did have a larger population than Georgia.

List of U.S. states and territories by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta