Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:43 PM

6 posts, read 36,953 times

Advertisements

I will move to Duluth area for my new job. There are some good school systems in Johns Creek under Fulton County. For elementary schools, I found some good schools with the high ranking in GA public schools (from schooldigger.com), such as Shakerag, Findley Oaks, Wilson Creek, and Medlock Bridge.

Because I can only rent an apartment at the beginning and may or may not buy a house a year later, could you please share your experience of those schools above? Also, there is no apartment associated with Shakerag and Findley, so that I only have two choice: Wilson Creek and Medlock Bridge. I greatly appreciate your opinion on those two elementary schools. Here are two special factors I need to consider:

1st, we are Asian and my daughter needs to learn English because she stays at the home country most of her time.
2nd, my daughter are good at painting and I hope the school she will attend has a good art class.

In addition, if I choose Wilson Creek, I have to live in Johns Creek Walk Apartment; if I choose Medlock Bridge, I have to live in Avonlea On The River (cheaper than Johns Creek Walk). Do you think Johns Creek Walk is a better apartment than Avonlea On the River?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 06:41 PM

188 posts, read 594,682 times
Wilson Creek and Medlock Bridge are excellent elementary schools. There is a large Chinese population in the area. It's very likely your daughter will end up in a classroom with other children who speak Chinese at home. All four elementary schools have a very large Asian population. I'm sure that there are houses for rent in both Findley Oaks and Shakerag, if you are also interested in those school zones.

The one complaint I have heard from a few parents about Medlock Bridge Elementary, is that they didn't feel their kids were as prepared academically for River Trail Middle School as the kids from the other elementary schools.

I know two people who lived in Johns Creek Walk and loved it. Hadn't heard anything about Avonlea On the River.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
You may also wish to see the thread we created just for this topic which may help: http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-one-keep.html

Old 06-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Tresninas, I really appreciate your thoughtful comments and suggestion, which are very helpful. I am also surprised that you can guess me as a Chinese. You are right and I look forward to my home--Johns Creek!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:07 PM

Thank you Atlantagreg! I will definitely read the link in detail.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:19 AM

lug127,

Sorry to freak you out! When I was replying to your post, I was thinking of a friend of a friend, also moving to the area, who is Chinese and looking at schools.

I meant to add something about the second part of your post. Our 2nd child is a very talented artist, and loves her art teacher at Shakerag. But there is also another wonderful resource for artsy kids. It's called the Johns Creek Community Arts Center, on Abbots Bridge Road. They have wonderful classes in just about any medium (drawing, painting, clay, jewelry making). My daughter is doing camp there this week and LOVES it.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:30 AM

Hi Tresninas, no problem at all. Maybe I may become your a friend of a friend in the future ))))).

Greatly appreciate your information of Johns Creek Community Arts Center, which is really important for my daughter. We definitely will visit there and I bet she will love it too.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:03 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,130 times
Just wondering why you chose those particular apartments (John's Creek Walk vs Avonlea on the River). There are several that service Medlock Bridge Elem, some cheaper, some more expensive. All have plenty of kids. I know that Avonlea sometimes hosts activities, like pool parties and movies through Perimeter Church.

There is a large asian and Chinese population in the area, including several of the apartments. I know of several children who take Mandarin classes on the weekends and a few girls taking some type of Chinese dance lessons nearby. There are several parents working on their English via private tutors and free ESL classes at the library.

I do believe Medlock Bridge Elementary has afterschool art classes, as well as piano/keyboarding and chess. There are also art classes that can be taken via City of Duluth, John's Creek, or Alpharetta. On their city's websites, they list all the classes, times, and fees.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Just wondering why you chose those particular apartments (John's Creek Walk vs Avonlea on the River). There are several that service Medlock Bridge Elem, some cheaper, some more expensive. All have plenty of kids. I know that Avonlea sometimes hosts activities, like pool parties and movies through Perimeter Church.

There is a large asian and Chinese population in the area, including several of the apartments. I know of several children who take Mandarin classes on the weekends and a few girls taking some type of Chinese dance lessons nearby. There are several parents working on their English via private tutors and free ESL classes at the library.

I do believe Medlock Bridge Elementary has afterschool art classes, as well as piano/keyboarding and chess. There are also art classes that can be taken via City of Duluth, John's Creek, or Alpharetta. On their city's websites, they list all the classes, times, and fees.
Anadyr21 is right, at least 2 of the elementary schools have afterschool art classes through the Young Rembrandt's program. These are run by a company outside the school, and taught at the school, right afterschool.

My daughter did these for one semester and enjoyed it -- but I did not feel that for the money it was that great of a class.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:00 PM

Thanks for your reply anadyr21 and Tresninas. To answer your question, here is the reason why I only compared two apartments: Avonlea On The River vs. Johns Creek Walk.

Yes, there are 4 available apartment associated with Meldlock Bridge Elementary, Avonlea On The River 77%, Camden River 27%, Chelsea Ridge 38%, New Heaven Townhouse (no rating). The number with each one is ranked by apartmentratings.com. According to this data, I choose Avonlea On The River 77%. In addition, there are only two apartments associated with Wilson Elementary: Aylesbury Farms 16% and Johns Creek Walk 69%. So, I have to choose Johns Creek Walk 69%.

For other two good elementary schools, Shakerag and Findley, there are NO apartment cooperated with these schools. I could not buy a house at the beginning so that I could not have a chance to let my child to enroll these two.

BTW, do you know how valid of the data at apartmentratings.com? Do you have other resources to evaluate apartments online? Because I am still in PA, I do not have a chance to visit this area before I move in. Thanks a lot!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta