Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 03:53 PM

730 posts, read 1,402,435 times

Advertisements

I've been reading and hearing about the guy who murdered his pregnant girlfriend in Augusta then killed an Aiken Public Safety Officer this morning. What scum. I live in Lexington, SC now but grew up in Evans and Aiken. Seeing this kind of news makes me sick. This isn't what I like to see when I check up on "home."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 11:52 PM

20 posts, read 38,983 times
Yeah! Augusta is quickly becoming the next Detroit.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:53 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,101,366 times
I can't believe this thread is being ignored like nothing is wrong.

7 murders this year in the area as of today, possibly another in Clearwater that is being investigated as of this morning.

One that occurred yesterday happened in an area often recommended on this forum as a "safer" place and "up and coming" place to live...Old Town.

Newcomers: Look at the demographics, crime statistics, and do yourself a favor by driving through these areas talked about on these forums. Augusta is not what a few of the members on this board would have you to believe about it.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:29 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,509 posts, read 15,110,286 times
Maybe the thread is being ignored because people know the facts... All you have to do is compare the FBI crime stats of Augusta vs Greenville, Chattanooga, Charleston, Savannah, Columbia, Macon, Columbus, Jackson, Little Rock, Greensboro, Durham..

This year the metro area does have a high amount so far in terms of homicides, but three of those murders were domestic violence.. The shooting in Clearwater was accidental and self-inflicted..

The homicide happen in East Augusta and not Olde Town... Students at GHSU and other young professionals wouldn't be moving to Olde Town if they didn't feel overall safe.. Developers don''t build new residential in neighborhoods who aren't growing..

Last edited by nortonguy; 02-06-2012 at 12:48 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 12:27 PM

I don't think anybody ever said Augusta was the safest city in the US.. There are similar size metros(Boulder, Madison, Des Moines, Boise) who are indeed safer than Augusta..

Well here are the 2009 FBI crime stats..

Augusta 415.1
Savannah 428.5
Macon 440.3
Durham 442.7
Greensboro 479.2
Winston Salem 510.6
Columbus 521.5
Chattanooga 589.9
Charleston 616.3
Baton Rouge 697.3
Columbia 760.9
Tallahassee 766.8

Table 6 - Crime in the United States 2009

Old 02-06-2012, 02:21 PM

So East Boundary and Telfair is no longer considered to be in Old Town? Really stretching it a bit, if so.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:36 PM

East Boundary aka Eastbound, E.B., The Bottom, etc and Olde Town are two diffrent areas...

Old 02-06-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
East Boundary aka Eastbound, E.B., The Bottom, etc and Olde Town are two diffrent areas...
Can you stop with the crap for a minute? Honest people come to these boards to get an honest opinion and all you can ever do is pump sunshine. I don't read the Augusta boards as much because I moved on to a much better place- but you recently actually recommended Harrisburg as a suggestion to move into and that it is experiencing positive growth. Ridiculous.

Augusta is not Atlanta...neighborhoods don't spread across the whole city with each one being known to the residents around it. The technical border of Old Town IS EAST BOUNDARY.

This murder, where someone was shot in the face and the victim was a known drug dealer occurred near the intersection of East Boundary and Telfair and less than a few blocks from what could be described as the very center of Old Town.

Now, you can flip that any way you want to- but the fact remains that this murder happened in the area of Old Town, and the area around it (by almost any decent persons standards) is GHETTO, and beyond the small stretch where the houses are fixed up nice- it is undesirable to raise a family or live there and not question for the safety of yourself and your property.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:42 PM

All we have to do is ask a couple of GHSU students or members of the Young Professionals of Augusta about popular areas..

I've never heard anybody but you ever mention River Glenn being apart of Olde Town.. When did the housing authority If I remember correctly you previously said you've only lived in Augusta for a few years.. The map below clearly shows River Glenn is not apart of Olde Town.. I won't deny River Glenn or East Augusta Commons would be considered ghetto, but definitely not Olde Town.. River Glenn, East Augusta Common, etc along East Boundary are almost public housing projects.. Olde Town is a mix of homes, apartments, condos, businesses, etc with renters and homeowners..
http://i.spotted.augusta.com/user/1/zoom/838513.jpg
http://cookingwithlittlebuddy.com/wp.../lamaison1.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2123/...e580014872.jpg

http://historicaugusta.org/images/oldetown.jpg (broken link)

I told the person Harrisburg is a neighborhood experiencing gentrification.. I never once said Harrisburg is similar to Summerville or Forest Hills when comparing intown areas.. The side of Harrisburg facing the Hill does consist of manicured lawns and nice homes.. The other area facing 15th street does need alot of work.. I don't know what's wrong if somebody said Harrisburg is experiencing postive growth.. The $100 million Kroc Center, First Stop Center, First Stop Village, Broad Mill Village, Martha Lester School, and Eve Street Row are dramatic changes.. The Sibley Mill will be renovated sooner or later too.

How is this not considered positive growth?? The Kroc Center brings 500 people daily to Harrisburg...
http://blog.augustaga.org/wp-content...ior-edited.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-seYN4NB-Gm...c+Cottages.jpg

Last edited by nortonguy; 02-06-2012 at 05:11 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 05:09 PM

I give up.

People, do yourself a favor and do your own research.

In this particular example of sunshine pumping, the highlighted portion is Old Town (according to the map provided above) and the red area is where the apartments are located in which 2 murders have already occurred at so far this year. "Totally" different area in some minds. Oh, for extra measure...the prison is in the bottom left corner and yeah- those are more projects along the right side of the map. Fortunately, there are two large cemeteries present to act as somewhat of a buffer (which are, I will admit, quite interesting).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area