Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2008, 01:53 PM

85 posts, read 432,468 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what the residential area around the Augusta National Golf Course is like? Is it nice? Just okay? Crummy?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 09:48 PM

10 posts, read 32,840 times
I think you were talking about the Vineland neighborhood in a previous post which would be adjacent to the Augusta National. That is an older neighborhood, I'd say from the 50s, but it is very well kept overall. The houses look somewhat small, but nice, and the neighborhood is appealing overall.

Now, there is a a separate neighborhood called National Hills, which is located across the street (Washington Rd) from the Augusta National. The homes are older, and tend to be priced pretty cheaply. There's some nice areas, but I can't generalize and say the whole area is appealing, as I did with Vineland.

In one section of the neighborhood, for instance, there is a low-income housing development (not sure what type of government affiliation it possesses) located nearby. There are often crime reports coming out of this complex related to drugs and burglaries, but I'm not sure how much it affects the nearby neighborhood. Just something to be aware of though.

When looking at a map of the area around the Augusta National, you'll see Berckman rd. coming off of Washington Rd. running along side the western border of the course. There are many decent neighborhoods off of this road as well. I'm not a huge fan of one in particular, however. I don't know the name, but the main street is Wicklow Drive. I don't think there's a lot of crime, I just don't really like the quality of the houses.

If you go a little further down Berckman, make a right onto Ingleside Dr., there are plenty of good neighborhoods there. They tend to be a little more pricey than Vineland and the National Hills area. A good 3 bedroom would probably run you around $170000, at least. Brynwood is the name of a very large subdivision in this area.

If you haven't been to Meybohm.com already, the site of the biggest real estate company in the Augusta area, I would recommend visiting it. You can search all listings, not just Meybohm listing. You can specify the county, and even the neighborhood.

So, all in all, Vineland is a nice neighborhood, National Hills is really hit or miss (depends on the area) and the other neighborhoods off of Berckman and Ingleside (Brynwood being the largest) are very nice but pricier. Hope this info helps.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:50 PM

Thank you so much! Yes, you helped a lot. I called the number in one of the rental ads I saw and it was an apartment complex called The Greens on Washington. When I looked them up on ApartmentRatings.com, none of the 33 reviews were positive. There were only a few neutral/lukewarm reviews, all the rest were very negative. So, I will not be living there. It's not the low income gov't apartments you were talking about, but the reviews make them seem to be just a small step up from them.

Can you tell me about the Greene St. between 4th and 5th Streets area? It's where the red box is on the picture below. This is supposed to be "historic" downtown Augusta. The pictures I have of the rental are great and I'd really like to get it. But, if it's not in a decent area, I'll pass.

Thanks so much for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusta_native View Post
I think you were talking about the Vineland neighborhood in a previous post which would be adjacent to the Augusta National. That is an older neighborhood, I'd say from the 50s, but it is very well kept overall. The houses look somewhat small, but nice, and the neighborhood is appealing overall.

Now, there is a a separate neighborhood called National Hills, which is located across the street (Washington Rd) from the Augusta National. The homes are older, and tend to be priced pretty cheaply. There's some nice areas, but I can't generalize and say the whole area is appealing, as I did with Vineland.

In one section of the neighborhood, for instance, there is a low-income housing development (not sure what type of government affiliation it possesses) located nearby. There are often crime reports coming out of this complex related to drugs and burglaries, but I'm not sure how much it affects the nearby neighborhood. Just something to be aware of though.

When looking at a map of the area around the Augusta National, you'll see Berckman rd. coming off of Washington Rd. running along side the western border of the course. There are many decent neighborhoods off of this road as well. I'm not a huge fan of one in particular, however. I don't know the name, but the main street is Wicklow Drive. I don't think there's a lot of crime, I just don't really like the quality of the houses.

If you go a little further down Berckman, make a right onto Ingleside Dr., there are plenty of good neighborhoods there. They tend to be a little more pricey than Vineland and the National Hills area. A good 3 bedroom would probably run you around $170000, at least. Brynwood is the name of a very large subdivision in this area.

If you haven't been to Meybohm.com already, the site of the biggest real estate company in the Augusta area, I would recommend visiting it. You can search all listings, not just Meybohm listing. You can specify the county, and even the neighborhood.

So, all in all, Vineland is a nice neighborhood, National Hills is really hit or miss (depends on the area) and the other neighborhoods off of Berckman and Ingleside (Brynwood being the largest) are very nice but pricier. Hope this info helps.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:09 PM

10 posts, read 32,840 times
The Olde Town neighborhood, which encompasses most of that area on Broad and Greene streets is composed mostly of single family homes, with some that have been converted to apartments. I don't really hear about that much crime in the area, but it is relatively close to downtown and east Augusta (the area surrounding Sand Bar Ferry Road, which Broad Street turns into after leaving the Olde Town area), where crime does occur. But the Olde Town Neighborhood itself, from what I've seen, is fairly nice. There seems to be a good bit of families occupying the houses. But, since I'm not entirely familiar with the area, it would be good to seek out other opinions. Maybe some of the other Augusta posters have some input.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:45 PM

Thank you, again, for your help. Sounds like this rental is going to be a finalist in my search. I do mind crime, but I know it happens. I just don't want to be in the middle of a gang controlled area or live somewhere where I always have to worry about somebody breaking into my car or my apartment, or following me down the street talking about "hey bay-be, psst.. psst" or something like that.

Thanks, again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusta_native View Post
The Olde Town neighborhood, which encompasses most of that area on Broad and Greene streets is composed mostly of single family homes, with some that have been converted to apartments. I don't really hear about that much crime in the area, but it is relatively close to downtown and east Augusta (the area surrounding Sand Bar Ferry Road, which Broad Street turns into after leaving the Olde Town area), where crime does occur. But the Olde Town Neighborhood itself, from what I've seen, is fairly nice. There seems to be a good bit of families occupying the houses. But, since I'm not entirely familiar with the area, it would be good to seek out other opinions. Maybe some of the other Augusta posters have some input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
View detailed profiles of: