Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:42 PM

5 posts, read 12,327 times

Advertisements

Hello,

i'm a 31 yobf who is originally from ga, but not the augusta area. I've lived in fl for 7 years and am considering a move out of the state. Two cities on my list are ft. Worth, tx and augusta. I'm looking for a place that has more of a community feel (instead of a touristy/vacation feel). It doesn't have to be a huge city, as long as there is something to keep me occupied on the weekends when i don't want to take a road trip to atl. Other things high on my list are:
1. Low cost of living vs. Pay
2. Parks and rec that offers a variety of classes and activities.
3. Southern hospitality.
4. Short commutes to anywhere i need to go.
5. Excellent shopping and a good variety of stores.
6. Good restaurants-chains and local eateries.
7. Lots of cultural activities.

I also like to do things like go to outdoor concerts, spoken word/neosoul events, and comedy shows.

So here are a few questions: Are these things available in augusta? What are race relations like in augusta (i.e. Is it very segragated/good ol boy system)? Is it easy to meet people/are they friendly? Is the black community thriving? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 06:47 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagurl1 View Post
Hello,

i'm a 31 yobf who is originally from ga, but not the augusta area. I've lived in fl for 7 years and am considering a move out of the state. Two cities on my list are ft. Worth, tx and augusta. I'm looking for a place that has more of a community feel (instead of a touristy/vacation feel). It doesn't have to be a huge city, as long as there is something to keep me occupied on the weekends when i don't want to take a road trip to atl. Other things high on my list are:
1. Low cost of living vs. Pay
2. Parks and rec that offers a variety of classes and activities.
3. Southern hospitality.
4. Short commutes to anywhere i need to go.
5. Excellent shopping and a good variety of stores.
6. Good restaurants-chains and local eateries.
7. Lots of cultural activities.

I also like to do things like go to outdoor concerts, spoken word/neosoul events, and comedy shows.

So here are a few questions: Are these things available in augusta? What are race relations like in augusta (i.e. Is it very segragated/good ol boy system)? Is it easy to meet people/are they friendly? Is the black community thriving? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Augusta can offer 1-7. You can find outdoor concerts, spoken word/neo soul events, and comedy shows more in downtown but in the suburbs too. Suburbs probably would have more outdoor concerts though than the other two.

I think East Augusta the inner city around downtown. Is well I should say was the only segregated place. Im saying was because their are several new homes going up in that area. Including the james brown townhomes. The whole area round Laney walker especially. The rest of metro area is diverse. Some areas are more diverse than other's. Yes people are friendly and its easy to meet people.

Black people are thriving in West Augusta in Belair Hills. Belair road/Jimmie dyess is nice, safe, and very low crime. The area is 55% black, 25% white, 10% hispanic, 10% asian. A older neighborhood Belair Hills is 95% black. The neighborhood is huge so it has tons of land. You can build a home if you want too. 6 homes are for sale the highest is 600,000 and the lowest 250,000. They have homes for over 1 million in Belair hills.

[SIZE=3]Belair Hills Estates - Augusta, GA - North and South Carolina ...[/SIZE]

http://www.northofthesavannah.com/id...h&search_title=

Last edited by nortonguy; 03-03-2009 at 07:24 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 09:01 PM

215 posts, read 481,191 times
I second everything norton said... It seems like you are describing Augusta a whole lot more than you are Fort Worth. Especially cost of living, etc.

Norton are you affiliated with that site at all?

Old 03-04-2009, 09:16 AM

220 posts, read 622,638 times
'' It doesn't have to be a huge city, as long as there is something to keep me occupied on the weekends when i don't want to take a road trip to ATL''.

Well this describes Augusta perfectly.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:27 PM

267 posts, read 725,773 times
Augusta metro gained more people than any other GA city in 2008. Besides metro Atlanta we came in second place. People are starting to move here more in higher numbers. As the city continues to grow and get bigger.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:30 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times
actually cost of living in Fort Worth is quite reasonable for a large city.. not as cheap as Augusta but certainly cheaper than Florida. If you want more of a small town feel though, then Augusta is probably a better choice.. as Fort Worth is part of a huge metropolitan area bigger than Atlanta.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:20 PM

4 posts, read 2,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Augusta can offer 1-7. You can find outdoor concerts, spoken word/neo soul events, and comedy shows more in downtown but in the suburbs too. Suburbs probably would have more outdoor concerts though than the other two.

I think East Augusta the inner city around downtown. Is well I should say was the only segregated place. Im saying was because their are several new homes going up in that area. Including the james brown townhomes. The whole area round Laney walker especially. The rest of metro area is diverse. Some areas are more diverse than other's. Yes people are friendly and its easy to meet people.

Black people are thriving in West Augusta in Belair Hills. Belair road/Jimmie dyess is nice, safe, and very low crime. The area is 55% black, 25% white, 10% hispanic, 10% asian. A older neighborhood Belair Hills is 95% black. The neighborhood is huge so it has tons of land. You can build a home if you want too. 6 homes are for sale the highest is 600,000 and the lowest 250,000. They have homes for over 1 million in Belair hills.

[SIZE=3]Belair Hills Estates - Augusta, GA - North and South Carolina ...[/SIZE]

Augusta Georgia MLS - Search MLS Listings=

Rep this information has been very helpful.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:47 PM

349 posts, read 1,004,445 times
Willis foreman in Hephzibah has a substanial black middle class. Evans, North Augusta, Martinez, and Aiken have a black middle class too. But in those area's you more than likely will have more white neighbor's. Willis foreman area and especially jimmie dyess-belair road will have a larger concentration. Of middle class/ upper middle class blacks living beside middle/upper middle class blacks.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:58 AM

250 posts, read 610,388 times
If you want to meet people I suggest going downtown & to Augusta mall.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:44 PM

267 posts, read 725,773 times
Diamond Lakes in Hephzibah is a park that offer's alot of activities. North Augusta is pretty diverse with a nice size black middle class for a suburb of 35,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area