Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 12:36 PM

543 posts, read 1,319,355 times

Advertisements

I feel there are alot of reasons why Augusta haven't seperated itself from the rest of the second tier cities in the state. The two major reason are Augusta downtown and the regional airport. Downtown was abandoned when the 2 malls where built in the suburbs. But for the last decade downtown is on the upswing with the help of the small business community. The Augusta leadership have made major investments for downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods. The regional airport had also come a long way with the remodeling and expansion that is still going on. But I'm wondering which investmest would put Augusta on the map. With a vibrant downtown, more residents would move to the innercity and would eventually bring more business back to downtown. But I also realize that an airport with a number of airline would do would wonders for the city as a whole, not just downtown. Alot of the businesses that go to major cities would start to look at the augusta market. I just want you guys opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 12:46 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,699,627 times
Hahaha, I actually find it VERY difficult to chose between the two. A competitive airport would attract business and commerce to the metro, resulting in job and population increases. A vibrant downtown would also attract people and result in increased tourism and spending, but I believe the business opportunities that come from an active airport would be more beneficial. BOTH should be at the top of the list when it comes to expenditures of local government. Also, the more jobs, the more people, the more money available for downtown. Money should still be put into revitalization of downtown, but we need to look into expanding our air travel availabilities also.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:04 PM

I've notice that downtown Augusta has been the focus for the past 10 years and the airport has been quietly improving. I think the city leaders should make more incentives to attract more airlines to the city. We should give them our full support even if it's a sweetheart deal. I rather have a new airline than a baseball stadium downtown.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:01 PM

937 posts, read 1,804,403 times
We need 2 focus on both because both play their own hand! I wish along with the dt and other airline we could go ahead and get interstat 3 moving I think that north south interstate is what we need as well

Old 12-19-2009, 02:16 PM

But if had a choice which would you rather boom. Or a better question is which give you more bang for your buck? I-3 is out of Augusta control no need to speculate on that.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:19 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,699,627 times
I think that there are three things that Augusta needs to really boom:
1. Downtown Revitalization: Improve conditions in inner-city neighborhoods, improve safety, promote business investment, restore existing structures, etc. Hopefully the TEE Center will kick revitalization into high gear.
2. Invest in transportation: Improve Public Transit, possibly expand bus service to Aiken and columbia counties. And improve air travel capabilities. Expand and create a greenway bike trail system throughout the city, and have better pedestrian conditions.
3. Augusta needs it's big tourist draw: the master's only is one week per year, we need something that will bring in thousands of people year round. Columbia has it's zoo, Myrtle beach has the beach, Charleston and Savannah has their historic districts...we need some sort of big tourist attraction. I personally would have loved to seen that Ellis Street canal extension become a reality, this could have been downtown's big draw. Just imagine: Ellis street open to foot traffic only, with a canal going strait thru it, with restaurants, shops, bars, clubs, and apartments all lining it. There could be gondola rides running all throughout the canal area, not only the new parts on Ellis, but all throughout the canal's downtown length. I think this could have been the project to put Augusta on the map. We do all these smallish projects like the Golf and Gardens, but we really need one BIG project and I though the Ellis street canal could have been it, too bad it got shot down before any real studies could have been performed.

Last edited by EastsideDave; 12-19-2009 at 02:30 PM..

Old 12-19-2009, 02:33 PM

I don't mean to bash downtown Augusta but reality sets in and I realize our airport could help the city as a whole. Corporate headquarters are what's missing in Augusta downtown and the metro. With a decent airport with more then two choices of airline, we actually land a couple of corporations. Hopefully the palmetto parkway will make the trip to the airport easier and boost the air traffic. There is no wrong answer to this but I believe in priorities.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:01 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,510 posts, read 15,134,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Mike View Post
I don't mean to bash downtown Augusta but reality sets in and I realize our airport could help the city as a whole. Corporate headquarters are what's missing in Augusta downtown and the metro. With a decent airport with more then two choices of airline, we actually land a couple of corporations. Hopefully the palmetto parkway will make the trip to the airport easier and boost the air traffic. There is no wrong answer to this but I believe in priorities.
The mayor of North Augusta thinks it will.

North Augusta Mayor Lark Jones said the benefits will likely go beyond North Augusta.

"It will be much easier for people from South Carolina to get to Bush Field, so that will be a boom for people flying from Augusta more," he said. "There's all sorts of little things that can happen for the region."

Palmetto Parkway will open to traffic Thursday 121609 - The Augusta Chronicle

Old 12-19-2009, 03:07 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,510 posts, read 15,134,280 times
Both will continue to grow. They will start to grow even faster next year. In 2010 the Raleigh type of growth is coming. The explosive growth will be here. The airport has 440 new parking spaces under construction. In spring 2010 the $40 million Tee Center, $30 million Hyatt, and $10 million parking deck start construction. In Feb 2010 the actual building for the $100 Kroc Center will start construction. The Kroc Center will be a first of its kind. With a one stop center away from the building. Land clearing started about 3 weeks ago. The Martha lester school(residential or residential/commercial)
and Broad Mill Village(rehabilitating six historic mill duplexes on Broad Street across from King Mill and just east of Martha Lester School, right next to the soon to be kroc center in Harrisburg. Right across from the kroc center) are all by each other and under construction.

The city is pouring $37.5 million into the inner city. Laney Walker and Bethlehem. Alot of homes, sidewalks, and street lights have already been built. Now that the Tee center is passed. The major bucks for the inner city are coming in.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:26 PM

I could be wrong but I think Augusta could have all the above if our airport was competent. Augusta could have beach but it takes thinking out of the box. Augusta should have developed a state of the art dragstrip in south Richmond. I think an inland port is a no brainer but the Augusta small thinking is what we settle for. What is this Tee Center really suppose to do besides car auctions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area