Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 01:04 PM

543 posts, read 1,318,772 times

Advertisements

......or just use what we have and turn Phinizy Swamp into some giant swamp park! Thats thinking out of the box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 12:41 AM

33 posts, read 74,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideDave View Post
I think that there are three things that Augusta needs to really boom:
1. Downtown Revitalization: Improve conditions in inner-city neighborhoods, improve safety, promote business investment, restore existing structures, etc. Hopefully the TEE Center will kick revitalization into high gear.
2. Invest in transportation: Improve Public Transit, possibly expand bus service to Aiken and columbia counties. And improve air travel capabilities. Expand and create a greenway bike trail system throughout the city, and have better pedestrian conditions.
3. Augusta needs it's big tourist draw: the master's only is one week per year, we need something that will bring in thousands of people year round. Columbia has it's zoo, Myrtle beach has the beach, Charleston and Savannah has their historic districts...we need some sort of big tourist attraction. I personally would have loved to seen that Ellis Street canal extension become a reality, this could have been downtown's big draw. Just imagine: Ellis street open to foot traffic only, with a canal going strait thru it, with restaurants, shops, bars, clubs, and apartments all lining it. There could be gondola rides running all throughout the canal area, not only the new parts on Ellis, but all throughout the canal's downtown length. I think this could have been the project to put Augusta on the map. We do all these smallish projects like the Golf and Gardens, but we really need one BIG project and I though the Ellis street canal could have been it, too bad it got shot down before any real studies could have been performed.
I agree with everything that you have pointed out. I remember when comm. cheeks, if memory serves me correct, first came up w/the idea, it was shot down on site as "pie in the sky" With the right amount of public/private interest/investment that could have made downtown Aug an everyday destination for locals and tourist. We lack real leadership and vision in gov, no chess players and thinkers, only checkers! Always back jumping!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:47 AM

Augusta regional is adding a third airline to the area! Very important and a great start to growing Augusta influence in the southeast.

Third airline to fly into Augusta Regional Airport | Mobile Augusta

Old 03-08-2010, 09:54 AM

1,138 posts, read 2,698,202 times
Great News! I have a feeling this is going to be a good decade for Augusta and the metro, it's starting out good!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:56 AM

What can the city do to keep this trend going? A new airline once a year would be a good trend over the next decade.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,510 posts, read 15,124,540 times
I was just going to post the article. Finally people get to fly to Dallas...

Last edited by nortonguy; 03-08-2010 at 11:52 AM..

Old 03-08-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Mike View Post
What can the city do to keep this trend going? A new airline once a year would be a good trend over the next decade.
Continental Express might returned to Augusta by 2012.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:11 PM

164 posts, read 392,107 times
Southwest needs to come here

Old 03-08-2010, 01:40 PM

Which airline is that Chicago is the hub? Contenital?

Old 03-08-2010, 01:55 PM

AirTran isn't in Augusta yet either......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area