Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:10 PM

12 posts, read 18,544 times

Advertisements

I am new to this site and possibly moving to Augusta GA. I've tried many searches and most come up with golf stuff. I'm not an avid golfer so this doesn't mean much to me. So from people who already live in the area.... How is the crime rate?
Is there plenty of things to do? Outside of eating and drinking?
What colleges are worth taking classes at?
How is the nightlife?
How is the job scene? (At this point I realize (I'm still in college) 8-10$ hr is my best bet)
Any neighborhoods inside Augusta I should stay away from or run to?
Please just don't post stats- I would rather have actual stories.
Thanks-so-much
Future Resident
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,695,260 times
-Well, there isn't as much nightlife here as you'd find in somewhere like Columbia, SC (USC helps that out a lot), but things in Augusta are progressively getting better. More and more shows and concerts are coming to the areas arenas as of lately (Carrie Underwood, Jason Aldean, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, etc all have upcoming shows in the next few months), and there are some decent clubs and bars in downtown. It's not a super exiting place, but it's OK, plus Columbia's only an hour drive if you can't find anything here.

-Both area universities, Augusta State and USC Aiken, are very good schools, Augusta State is the larger of the two with about 10,000 students while USCA has just under 4,000. Plus both Augusta Tech and Aiken Tech are good schools as well, there's also places like Phoenix University etc. The Med. College of GA is here, so that provides more opportunities. Paine College is a small university also in Augusta.

-The job scene is pretty good too, especially with the economy, there's lots of retail jobs available and plenty of restaurants around that you could try.

-Good Neighborhoods/Areas: West Augusta, South Richmond County, Summerville & National Hills, Evans, Martinez, North Augusta, Aiken, Olde Town, Downtown.

-Some places to avoid: The Gordon Highway area of South Augusta, Harrisburg, Laney Walker (but it's getting better here), East Augusta.

-There are lots of outdoorsy thing to do around with the river, canal, lake, etc. So if you're into that sort of thing, you're in luck! There aren't a lot of big touristy attractions around though. There's your typical movie theaters, IMAX, a few mini golf courses, laser tag and the like. But the plus side of it is, you're only a short drive to both the beach and Atlanta.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Augusta is a pretty safe city. The nightlife is good downtown, washington rd, augusta exchange area, and surrey center. Augusta's economy is doing very good compared to other cities. New stores, offices, and companies are opening all the time. Run to Downtown, Artist Row, Olde Town. All offer amenities in walking distance. Plus give you the feel of living in a city. If you want a kinda city feel. Then go with Summerville/Hill. If you want suburbia/city area Augusta Exchange area.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideDave View Post
-Well, there isn't as much nightlife here as you'd find in somewhere like Columbia, SC (USC helps that out a lot), but things in Augusta are progressively getting better. More and more shows and concerts are coming to the areas arenas as of lately (Carrie Underwood, Jason Aldean, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, etc all have upcoming shows in the next few months), and there are some decent clubs and bars in downtown. It's not a super exiting place, but it's OK, plus Columbia's only an hour drive if you can't find anything here.

-Both area universities, Augusta State and USC Aiken, are very good schools, Augusta State is the larger of the two with about 10,000 students while USCA has just under 4,000. Plus both Augusta Tech and Aiken Tech are good schools as well, there's also places like Phoenix University etc. The Med. College of GA is here, so that provides more opportunities. Paine College is a small university also in Augusta.

-The job scene is pretty good too, especially with the economy, there's lots of retail jobs available and plenty of restaurants around that you could try.

-Good Neighborhoods/Areas: West Augusta, South Richmond County, Summerville & National Hills, Evans, Martinez, North Augusta, Aiken, Olde Town, Downtown.

-Some places to avoid: The Gordon Highway area of South Augusta, Harrisburg, Laney Walker (but it's getting better here), East Augusta.

-There are lots of outdoorsy thing to do around with the river, canal, lake, etc. So if you're into that sort of thing, you're in luck! There aren't a lot of big touristy attractions around though. There's your typical movie theaters, IMAX, a few mini golf courses, laser tag and the like. But the plus side of it is, you're only a short drive to both the beach and Atlanta.
Have you seen the houses in Harrisburg close to the Hill?

Have you seen the new neighborhood Willhaven off Gordon Hwy?
http://images.internest.com/crowncommunities/property37339.JPG (broken link)
http://www.crownga.com/communities/wlh.php (broken link)

All these areas have nice places. You can't use a broad brush to paint a whole area. Gordon hwy for example is miles and miles of highway. From downtown to past Harlem in Columbia county.

The part of Gordon hwy between I-520 and Harlem is very good. This is not the South Augusta part of Gordon hwy. This part of Gordon hwy is SouthWest Augusta. Willhaven is a brand new neighborhood. Starting at $150k off Gordon hwy past Jimmie Dyess. Alot of the houses are over 200k. The other part of Gordon hwy you're talking about(Old Regency mall to almost downtown) has the dicey and okay areas.

Laney Walker holley street iis nice as well. The homes off 9th street in Laney Walker. The homes are good too.

Harrisburg btw eve street and the Hill. These are beautiful homes with pretty lawns. You must be thinking about the part of Harrisburg btw eve and 15th street.

Only the housing projects need to be avoided in East Auguta. The homes are prefectly fine. Except I wouldn't live in Marion homes.

Last edited by nortonguy; 01-12-2010 at 09:02 PM..

Old 01-12-2010, 08:58 PM

Nortonguy, I was being general when I said to avoid these areas, it's easier this way since the original poster is from out of town. These areas aren't that great as a whole, so it would be better if they just avoided this area, at least until they were more familiar with the area. Also, I'm not going to argue about South Augusta again, to the original poster--avoid Gordon Highway from downtown to a bit past I520, if you visit, you'll be able to tell this isn't a very good area, about the only part of Gordon Hwy that is any good is the portion at Ft. Gordon. And yes, there are some nicer houses in the extreme western portion of Harrisburg near the Augusta Country Club, but the majority of Harrisburg is sketchy. New homes in Laney Walker doesn't automatically make the whole area nice, it's on a good track but will be a while before it is a nice area, remember, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. And east Augusta is a pretty 'not good' place, though it is starting to improve as well, but I wouldn't recommend it. Nortonguy, stop making Augusta out to be so wonderful, overall it is a great place to live, but there are still undesirable areas like Harrisburg, South Aug within 520, etc.

Last edited by EastsideDave; 01-12-2010 at 09:08 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 09:38 AM

Eastsidedave, stop painting a broad brush on areas you don't know much about. I actually spend time in these areas. Im not going by hearsay. We both know you don't spend anytime in Eastbound, Harrisburg, or Laney Walker hanging around with people like me daily. So Im %100 percent positive. I know alot more about these areas compared to you.

Laney Walker is still in a transformation mode. That's why I specifically named streets who already went through the gentrification. There are several areas who are nice attached to another nice area. The majority of Harrisburg is not sketchy. Only the area between eve st and 15th street. The side of Harrisburg between eve and the Hill. The side is beautiful with very nice homes.I'm in Eastbound alot. Only the housing projects are to be avoided. The homes are perfectly fine except for Marion homes. Gordon Hwy is not only good near the main gate of Fort Gordon. Willhaven a brand new neighborhood is about 10-15 minutes. On gordon hwy past Jimmie Dyess going towards Harlem.

Last edited by nortonguy; 01-13-2010 at 10:31 AM..

Old 01-13-2010, 02:12 PM

Nortonguy, you don't know where I am and am not familiar with, you don't know how familiar I am with these areas, I could live in one of those areas for all you know!

To the original poster, it would be best to avoid the areas I originally stated at least until you are more familiar with the area, that way you don't run the risk of ending up in a bad part of town.

Nortonguy, it's easier to be general with someone when they are unfamiliar with the area, then once they are more experienced with their surroundings, then we can bring up specifics.

Last edited by EastsideDave; 01-13-2010 at 02:47 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideDave View Post
Nortonguy, you don't know where I am and am not familiar with, you don't know how familiar I am with these areas, I could live in one of those areas for all you know!

To the original poster, it would be best to avoid the areas I originally stated at least until you are more familiar with the area, that way you don't run the risk of ending up in a bad part of town.

Nortonguy, it's easier to be general with someone when they are unfamiliar with the area, then once they are more experienced with their surroundings, then we can bring up specifics.
So you live in a area that you think is undesirable?

Old 01-13-2010, 04:52 PM

Did I say that? No, I said that you don't know where I live so you can't assume what I do and do not know about any specific area.

So for the sake of argument, lild1, ask nortonguy anything about Augusta, he's the resident expert on everything in the entire area, he's got all the inside scoops on everything from retail to government, I don't know what I'm talking about, even though I live here...everything I said was wrong apparently, and I'm sure you could ask Butch Palmer and he'd tell you Harrisburg is a lovely place to raise a family.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:03 PM

Butch Palmer lives in Harrisburg. Somebody who almost won a Augusta commission seat. Lives in a area you called undesirable. I doub't Butch would stay it was all that undesirable. And he lives on the side of Harrisburg facing 15th street. There are several middle class people raising families on that side of the burg. Butch Palmer doesn't live on the all nice side of Harrisburg facing the Hill. Im sure Butch is trying to get as many upwardly mobile people. As he can to live in Harrisburg. Butch has posted on the Augusta city data forum before. To tell people to move into Harrisburg. The only part that needs some gentrifcation. Luckily is located right near the major construction. The kroc center, martha lester school residential, and broad mill village. The construction will transformed that whole side of Harrisburg. And Butch Palmer is one person. Do you know how many live in Harrisburg? It still doesn't change the fact. The houses between eve street and the Hill are beautiful. It's a wonderful place to raise a family.

Last edited by nortonguy; 01-13-2010 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area