Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 10:27 AM

42 posts, read 141,011 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used Orkin for the control of Scorpions and was it successful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 12:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,173 times
You will never get rid of a scorpion problem unless you do 4 things.
1) use Cy-Kick spray under warm zones like ground based ac units/washer dryers and along entire bottom of house outside walls going up to 2 ft coverage (because they climb)
lasts 30 days. safe to humans and pets once it drys.
2) Use Delta Guard granules in flower beds and entire yard. Water in to seep into crevices. lasts 30 days. kills the little ones…
3) Go night hunting. Get a black light and Scorpion killer no. 2 can quick knock down spray. It speeds up the control process by getting the adults you can see before they mate again…
4)Seal your home from access points usually around pipes and vents or they may nest in your walls…
Nothing else will work effectively. Trust me, I live in Az. and am a professional on this.
You will never get rid of them period until these steps are done…
Treat monthly for 1st year…After that you should not have to treat as often…Usually quarterly keeps them gone for good.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:13 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
I'll vouch for the Cy-Kick.

The rest of what he ssaid makes good sense.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:50 PM

117 posts, read 347,445 times
Interesting. After battling them most of last summer, we tried Demon WP (cypermethrin) and didn't see one again. But that was when it was starting to cool off so we are unsure how much the weather played in that.

Cy-kick is cyfluthrin, which I imagine is similar. Might just try that, seems to get rave reviews in Arizona.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
We use ABC pest control (quarterly maintenance with as many revisits as you need), and it works great. No scorpions (or any kind of bugs) at all since we've been using them, pretty much -- and when we first moved in to our latest house, scorpions were a problem.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:20 AM

59 posts, read 154,960 times
Well, now I'm thoroughly depressed! I have a big fear of bugs of any kind. I freaked out the a few summers ago when I had a roach attack in my apartment. Now I hear that there are SCORPIONS in Austin??? Don't they bite??? .

Please tell me that they only come to people who have gardens and live on the ground floor. Please tell me that if I get an apartment on the second or third or whatever floor with no garden in sight, I will be fine. Please, please, please???

Tam

Old 03-07-2011, 09:50 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammay View Post
Well, now I'm thoroughly depressed! I have a big fear of bugs of any kind. I freaked out the a few summers ago when I had a roach attack in my apartment. Now I hear that there are SCORPIONS in Austin??? Don't they bite??? .

Please tell me that they only come to people who have gardens and live on the ground floor. Please tell me that if I get an apartment on the second or third or whatever floor with no garden in sight, I will be fine. Please, please, please???

Tam
The local scorpions are pretty small and their bite is no worse than a bee sting.
It would depend on where you live.

When we built our new home up here by Round Rock 16 years aago, I only saw one in the house a couple months after moving in. Saw another one out on the sidewwalk a few yeears later, and that's it.

And we have sprayed very little since we've lived here (only once inside). I've put out granules about every 3 or 4 years in the yard.

However, we have fire ant mounds that pop up every now & then, so I'll sprinkle theem with Amdro - which moves 'em over to the neighbors.

No matter where you live, there's gonna be some kind of bug around.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:29 AM
gdu

256 posts, read 699,637 times
Quote:

Tam
Nope. I lived in a brand new apartment in Davenport Ranch on the 3rd floor and saw an occaisional scorpion.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:34 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:

Tam
They are only in the west side of town really, where you see the rocky cliffs, etc. And even there, it's mostly where new construction has happened. Established areas have less. Inside the city center, probably won't encounter them (scorpions). But you could have roaches.

The "hill country" area of Austin is full of all kinds of natural critters across the whole spectrum -- from deer, fox, coyotes, to possums and raccoons to snakes, scorpions, and tarantulas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin