Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 08:51 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times

Advertisements

thesonofgray;16090134]I don't know what it is...I see 10scoachrick and my brain says cockroach instead. It likes to rearrange letters apparently.

I've been given a few nicknames over the years; but, that's a new one.

Just a few things: I'm not trying to defend stupid drivers. Obviously, driving into another car is not a very smart thing to do. I'm just saying that there will ALWAYS be a gap between cars moving at a fast speed. And when you merge onto a freeway, the safest way to do so is to speed up, not slow down, and place yourself in that gap, even though the car behind you will undoubtedly have the slow down to accommodate the extra car.

We're on the same page, here. It's unfortunate that many drivers' first reaction(to just about ANY thing) is to hit the brakes...Cell phone rings--hit the brakes; not sure where Starbucks is--hit the brakes; need to merge into 65mph traffic--hit the brakes .

I didn't realize traffic laws were also laws of physics.

Ignore the traffic laws...get a ticket. Ignore the laws of physics...well, let's just say that two objects occupying the same space at the same time will be a bit 'altered' physically . (Pardon the lousy syntax, if you please.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 09:19 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times
Were these Mercedes AMG drivers from Dallas by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
True, driving a burnt orange Excursion with a UT flag on each window, oversized off road tires, and a sticker with Calvin relieving himself on a A&M logo will pretty much allow a driver to be able to disregard most traffic laws _and_ be able to park in handicap parking spots with impunity in Austin. Worst part is that it will take forever to get anywhere due to having to deal with all the guys who will instantly want you to become their best buddy and all the women who will want to have your children (regardless of the gender of the driver).

I've seen drivers in Mercedes AMG SL's reduced to tears due to all the honking and overall feelings of inferiority in this cruel town.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:57 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Coach Rick -I think you get it. Several people on here assumed I am the terrible driver for attempting to merge safely, .
Im not saying you are a terrible driver, just if you stop in the merge lane of great hills trail to 360, I will probably honk at you after about 5-10 seconds or so. Typically the people stop about halfway into their turn - i.e. Im pretty sure they dont realize the merge lane is there.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:15 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Im not saying you are a terrible driver, just if you stop in the merge lane of great hills trail to 360, I will probably honk at you after about 5-10 seconds or so. Typically the people stop about halfway into their turn - i.e. Im pretty sure they dont realize the merge lane is there.
Well, if you give me 5 or 10 seconds, I'll be out of there for sure. Yesterday, I left a little early to test the theory that if I just sail right into that merge lane without stopping that I could easliy merge. Ha! There were 5 cars (count them 5) stopped in front of me at the yield sign. It seems I'm not the only one who pulls up and checks the traffic flow before going. But no one sat there long, just a few seconds like I do. That's what I don't get. If someone is just sitting there waiting for the light to change, yeah, I get PO'd too but honking just because you didn't automatically zoom into the merge lane is a little too impatient - especially since you ain't going anywhere once you get on 360 anyway!

Fortunately, I've figured out the timing of the lights such that if I get there a few seconds later, the light changes on 360 and I can zip right over to the left lane. Gotta work on how to time that for the drive down GH!

Old 09-30-2010, 10:50 AM

308 posts, read 1,468,145 times
I hate those people who are always on their cell phones with a hand off the wheel when driving. They should be banned from owning a cell phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I can't even remember the last time anyone honked at me, so if it happens to you very often, you probably are doing something wrong. I rarely honk at another car unless they are obviously zoned out at the wheel, on a cell phone and/or clearly not paying attention.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:54 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesonofgray View Post
I didn't realize traffic laws were also laws of physics.
Some traffic laws are based on the laws of physics - especially the one involving two bodies occupying the same space at the same time.

Per the Texas Driver's Handbook, Chapter 9, page 2:

ENTERING THE FREEWAY
1. You must yield the right-of-way to vehicles already on the freeway.
2. Enter the speed change lane, stay to the right, signal left, and when the
way is clear increase your speed so you can merge with the flow of traffic.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. Where did you learn to drive that you think that the traffic on the freeway is supposed to yield to traffic entering the freeway?

Old 09-30-2010, 11:02 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayanh View Post
I hate those people who are always on their cell phones with a hand off the wheel when driving. They should be banned from owning a cell phone.
How about the ones who reach ACROSS their chest to hold the cell to the 'other' ear? And then there's the folks who lean halfway into the passenger seat to talk on the phone as though it's a tethered 1980s model .

Old 09-30-2010, 11:09 AM

3,080 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
How about the ones who reach ACROSS their chest to hold the cell to the 'other' ear? And then there's the folks who lean halfway into the passenger seat to talk on the phone as though it's a tethered 1980s model .
Of course in this day and age if folks were only talking on their phones, that would be bad enough. Now we see people texting, checking emails, probably playing games, posting on ...

.. hold on a sec I'm trying to merge onto I35 ...

anyway, what was I saying?

Old 09-30-2010, 11:10 AM

3,080 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Were these Mercedes AMG drivers from Dallas by chance?
Likely since they all had female passengers with very large blonde hairdos

Old 09-30-2010, 11:14 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Some traffic laws are based on the laws of physics - especially the one involving two bodies occupying the same space at the same time.

Per the Texas Driver's Handbook, Chapter 9, page 2:

ENTERING THE FREEWAY
1. You must yield the right-of-way to vehicles already on the freeway.
2. Enter the speed change lane, stay to the right, signal left, and when the
way is clear increase your speed so you can merge with the flow of traffic.

Seems pretty straightforward to me. Where did you learn to drive that you think that the traffic on the freeway is supposed to yield to traffic entering the freeway?

You're just being way too logical here THL. The rules above are exactly what I do but for some people that seems to be a problem. Thanks for the support BTW - tried to rep you but I need to spread the love first....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin