Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:59 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times

Advertisements

thank you THL for rescuing a thread gone bad!

Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 12-08-2010 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: Be careful with the "t" word. Calling another member a troll is considered a personal attack at C-D.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:09 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Some posts were deleted above. Here's a reminder from the TOS for the thread:

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.
The best way to avoid violating this rule is to reply without getting personal (avoid sentences with "you" in them) and to resist the temptation to "connect the dots" by posting your conclusions about other people based on what they say in their posts.

City-Data is primarily a relocation forum, so the mod team pays extra attention to what is said to newcomers in a thread. It's against the TOS to insult anyone, but in a relocation forum, it's especially despicable to insult newcomers.

Last edited by Bo; 12-08-2010 at 08:18 AM..

Old 12-09-2010, 12:29 PM

50 posts, read 110,998 times
You'll be okay anywhere. I undestand why you asked this question, though some people here clearly don't. Where I come from, neighborhoods literally had personalities and if you had opposing views or beliefs it was just impossible to meet people and live happily. You'll be okay here though. People are really accepting here in Austin.

I got a lot of harassment like this when i first came here for advice. I never meant to stir things up or start arguments or be rude in any way and people just jumped down my throat. Mostly telling me they didn't want anymore yankees down here...(im from NY)

So, good luck! I'm sorry some people were absolute @ssholes to you on here.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:02 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curious1111 View Post
I find much of this hypocrisy. Those that say - "oh, no bigots here, just live, let live, all stripes, etc." are the exact same people that are not tolerant of a conservative Christian or Republican. I have experienced this first hand. Some of my best friends are REAL liberals, and they stand by those principles in every direction, not selectively. I also know many "selective" liberals, who are all for diversity of thought, politics, etc. as long as it fits THEIR definitions of what that should look like... rural blue collar Christian conservatives arent a diverse group, they are just wrong, for instance

Sorry, I digress. Back to topic at hand, if you are looking to be around others with similar beliefs, values, etc. I think that there is nothing wrong with that. I agree that you need to be more specific though. A particular religion? Christianity? Spirituality?
Policy beliefs and bigotry are two different things. So yes when a 'Christian' tries to use the power of the state to promote discrimination based on their religious beliefs. That is not politics its plain old bigotry and not up for debate.

If you espouse bigotry in any neighborhood in Austin you're going to basically ostracized anywhere. Normal policy driven politics, people dont really care as long as you dont go on about it.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
People dont bring up politics or religion in casual conversation. If the idea of living near people of different political or moral persuasions bothers you then I suggest not living in Austin at all. Bigots of any stripe political or moral are the one type that isnt welcome here.
The person asked a simple question.
conservative != bigot

Your post is NOT reflective of most people in Austin.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:38 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
If the original question could be rephrased to something like:

I am a person of some particular conservative and religious beliefs, though I don't push them onto others, and I'm not outwardly judgmental of those different than me because I enjoy having a wide and diverse variety of friends. Is there anywhere in Austin where someone like me might have a hard time feeling comfortable and fitting in?

Answer: No, you'll fit in just about everywhere.

If the question is:
I am a religious conservative and only want to associate and be around people exactly like me. Is there such a place?

Answer: No, probably not. Not completely.

Steve

Old 12-15-2010, 05:51 PM

313 posts, read 786,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cckhek View Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear - conservative for religion

Definitely Round Rock and surrounding communities North of Austin. They have good schools there too and affordable housing.

*insert you'll be accepted anywhere spiel*

Old 12-15-2010, 07:24 PM

319 posts, read 737,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Policy beliefs and bigotry are two different things. So yes when a 'Christian' tries to use the power of the state to promote discrimination based on their religious beliefs. That is not politics its plain old bigotry and not up for debate.

If you espouse bigotry in any neighborhood in Austin you're going to basically ostracized anywhere. Normal policy driven politics, people dont really care as long as you dont go on about it.
But its ok to be a "Zandandu" (made up faith that believes primarily in respecting all arachnoids) and affect policy, right? Because then it is social responsibility, civic involvement, activism, which is what makes America great, right?

We could go on about this all day.

Hypocricy.

Belief in respect for all voices, participation by all, diversity and inclusion...as long as it fits a certain politically correct view of what those groups should look/feel like. And only as long as they agree with your policies.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:13 PM

172 posts, read 411,409 times

Old 06-28-2011, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 5,244 times
No, by all means, do ask where the conservative side is here in Austin, and do live where other conservatives are. People who say that progressives will accept you anywhere here is lying.

I WAS as liberal as they came until I grew up and paid attention. I live in 78704 area and that is smack in the middle of liberalville. I was at a bar on Lamar st one day and this drunk chick kept spouting off on how stupid Sarah Palin was. When I asked her what exactly makes her stupid, she couldn't answer, and several locals looked over at me with angry eyes, and before I knew it I was being labeled a hater republican. Ironically, I have tattoos, and am a minority.

Now, I'm moving northwest. This place has drastically changed after 2000.

Dont forget; location, location, location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin