Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of 70 View Post
No, by all means, do ask where the conservative side is here in Austin, and do live where other conservatives are. People who say that progressives will accept you anywhere here is lying.

I WAS as liberal as they came until I grew up and paid attention. I live in 78704 area and that is smack in the middle of liberalville. I was at a bar on Lamar st one day and this drunk chick kept spouting off on how stupid Sarah Palin was. When I asked her what exactly makes her stupid, she couldn't answer, and several locals looked over at me with angry eyes, and before I knew it I was being labeled a hater republican. Ironically, I have tattoos, and am a minority.

Now, I'm moving northwest. This place has drastically changed after 2000.

Dont forget; location, location, location.
Moderator cut: off topic for the forum

Good luck in your move.

Last edited by Bo; 06-28-2011 at 08:26 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 09:18 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cckhek View Post
I know some of you will not like the fact I am asking this question, but I would like to get your opinions on which part of Austin tends to be on the conservative side. I know Austin proper isn't as it is known to be liberal. We now live in Dallas but will be moving to Austin next year so would like to get a heads up on which part of town may be the best to begin looking at for housing.
Anywhere. Austin is a tolerant city. Nobody will bother you for being conservative, as long as you dont try to force your beliefs on anyone. Austin is known for being a liberal city, but it is somewhat libertarian. Live and let live could be Austin's motto. If you are unwilling to live next to people that dont share your political beliefs than you are the one with the problem.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 PM

629 posts, read 1,652,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of 70 View Post
No, by all means, do ask where the conservative side is here in Austin, and do live where other conservatives are. People who say that progressives will accept you anywhere here is lying.

I WAS as liberal as they came until I grew up and paid attention. I live in 78704 area and that is smack in the middle of liberalville. I was at a bar on Lamar st one day and this drunk chick kept spouting off on how stupid Sarah Palin was. When I asked her what exactly makes her stupid, she couldn't answer, and several locals looked over at me with angry eyes, and before I knew it I was being labeled a hater republican. Ironically, I have tattoos, and am a minority.

Now, I'm moving northwest. This place has drastically changed after 2000.

Dont forget; location, location, location.
A bar on Lamar is where you'll find the most politically affluent Austinites. Your story about a drunk chick who didn't offer an enlightening political conversation is ASTONISHING since it's so abnormal. Really, I'm in disbelief.

Thanks for reviving this dead thread that should have remained so to share your AMAZING story. Hopefully the drunk chicks in northwest bars offer more informed political commentary.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:55 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
Austin does have some "liberal" areas, but keep in mind that is liberal by Texas standards, not by U.S. standards. Anyone from either of the coast would find even the most "liberal" parts of Austin to be rather conservative. A good chunk of north/northwest Austin, and the suburbs are extremely conservative, religious places. Only in Colorado Springs, have I experienced a more conservative, relgious place. You'll be quite happy im sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cckhek View Post
I know some of you will not like the fact I am asking this question, but I would like to get your opinions on which part of Austin tends to be on the conservative side. I know Austin proper isn't as it is known to be liberal. We now live in Dallas but will be moving to Austin next year so would like to get a heads up on which part of town may be the best to begin looking at for housing.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:24 AM

285 posts, read 567,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Austin does have some "liberal" areas, but keep in mind that is liberal by Texas standards, not by U.S. standards. Anyone from either of the coast would find even the most "liberal" parts of Austin to be rather conservative. A good chunk of north/northwest Austin, and the suburbs are extremely conservative, religious places. Only in Colorado Springs, have I experienced a more conservative, relgious place. You'll be quite happy im sure.
You and I must have lived in different cities then. It would be fair to call central Austin "liberal" by national standards. Moreover, Houston easily trumps Austin for being religious and conservative. Colorado Springs? You're not fooling anyone with that garbage.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:27 AM

399 posts, read 1,802,651 times
Quote:
Anyone from either of the coast would find even the most "liberal" parts of Austin to be rather conservative.
I am from the East Coast and do not find that to be true. This does not surprise me, though, as I've yet to find anything you write to be true.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,776,575 times
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.

just sayn...

Old 06-29-2011, 09:41 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1038 View Post
You and I must have lived in different cities then. It would be fair to call central Austin "liberal" by national standards. Moreover, Houston easily trumps Austin for being religious and conservative. Colorado Springs? You're not fooling anyone with that garbage.
Don't listen to him (her?). Between his recent bizarre comments on Austin weather and now on politics I'm beginning to suspect Eepstein doesn't actually live in Austin.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:27 AM

532 posts, read 1,391,981 times
Quote:
This is simply not true. I am a liberal Democrat who lived the first 32 years of my life in Boston. I then lived the next 18 or so years in San Francisco. I have now been in Austin about 4 years. I don't find Austin to be "rather conservative" at all. It's probably not, in my opinion, as liberal in some ways as San Francisco or Boston, but in no way would I say that the most liberal parts of Austin are "rather conservative".

Old 06-29-2011, 11:58 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,543,783 times
I don't know that I would say Austin or "Texas Liberal" is conservative but its nowhere near as liberal as areas of the Northeastern US or California. I always felt the city was socially liberal but more Libertarian when it comes to government involvement and fiscal issues (and thats not a bad thing IMO) though it does get very conservative outside of the heart of the city.

One thing eepstein is spot on about is Co Springs, its basically turned into the Evangelical Holy Land in the last few decades. Glad I got out of there a long time ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin