Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 12:13 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
We often follow vegan recipes and order vegan dishes due to a family member's food allergies. Not milk, etc, but eggs are bad news for this child. Just saying that, for some, it isn't a choice. Not that going vegan out of choice is wrong, because it isn't. It doesn't affect anyone at all.
There is nothing wrong with being vegan. But people who are "strident, vegan, communists" typically do get on my nerves. That is one person who embodies ALL THREE characteristics. Come to think of it, just being strident anything annoys me a bit. I just happen to have lots of experience with the former because I spent 18 years in Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 12:38 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
You mean to tell me that they pay 200 bucks for that crap that looks like they fished it out of the dumpster?

Maybe I'm getting hipsters and bohemians confused.
Usually hipsters have money - bohemians don't. One of them is the real thing and the other is not.

There seems to be a yearning for perceived authenticity that a lot of (mostly affluent white) hipsters are striving to embody - the "keep it real" platitude that seems to manifest itself in the slumming mentality of many hipsters. I'm not sure if it's only a fashion-oriented gesture or some sort of attempt to create the perception of an "edgy" culture where one does not exist.

At the end of the day, I suppose it's just pop-culture fashion - just like the preppy, country club izod style of the 80s or the biker influenced stoner-rocker look of the 70s. As with most trends, it will run its course and make way for something new. You borrow the things that work for you and throw out the rest.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:45 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
I think I need to visit Austin and see for myself. Where are the hipster hangouts besides Rio Rita? How long have hipsters been around now?
I would think that your best bet would be what was called Clementine's and is now called Thunderbird Coffee. The Manor location is the one that I'm familiar with. You'll see lots of iPads, Macbooks, Kindles, etc. You'll even see a Subaru or two outside for the hipster patrons that don't live on the East side (as close to the safety of UT as possible of course).

Thunderbird Coffee

If you need to spot some hipsters after they're done hanging out at Emo's or the Mohawk, head over to Star Seeds which is open 24 hours. However, you'll most likely see college aged hipsters there still using their parents money to buy their iPods.

Star Seeds Cafe . Home (http://www.starseedscafe.com/ - broken link)

Old 12-27-2010, 10:00 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I would think that your best bet would be what was called Clementine's and is now called Thunderbird Coffee. The Manor location is the one that I'm familiar with. You'll see lots of iPads, Macbooks, Kindles, etc. You'll even see a Subaru or two outside for the hipster patrons that don't live on the East side (as close to the safety of UT as possible of course).

Thunderbird Coffee

If you need to spot some hipsters after they're done hanging out at Emo's or the Mohawk, head over to Star Seeds which is open 24 hours. However, you'll most likely see college aged hipsters there still using their parents money to buy their iPods.

Star Seeds Cafe . Home (http://www.starseedscafe.com/ - broken link)
Yes, you're absolutely correct. That whole stretch of Manor Road is overrun by hipsters who want to "slum it" in East Austin even though that part of East Austin (Cherrywood and Alamo Heights) is quite nice. Star Seeds Cafe is also popular with stoners who want some late-night munchies.

Speaking of UT - Spiderhouse Coffee is another location where I've seen lots of hipsters.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:17 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,651 times
I figured it out! Hipster's are the adult children of hippie's!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:48 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,651 times
From wiki... "some believe that the word hipster originated from the West African word "hipi" meaning "to open one's eyes." From urban dictionary... "hippie, originally a term thought to be used by Harlem's black neighborhoods to describe the white "flower children" who could come and go without trouble"... also interesting that the hipsters prefer east Austin???

Old 12-28-2010, 10:09 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Don't those one-speed bikes have coaster brakes? At least the ones the hipsters tool around town in. I can see the draw, they are old-school, yet they bought it new.
Only the ones who are faking it use brakes.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I like your comment about ironically poor vs. actually poor.

But if they are no more ridiculous than soccer moms, who you say are truly ridiculous, aren't the looking cool hipsters also truly ridiculous?

Why BTW, are soccer moms ridiculous? They haul their kids all over town to activities like soccer, either in a minivan or Tahoe. If the kids in fact are playing soccer that's good considering the alternative could be watching TV.
Those doing it just for the look (i.e. spending lots of money on looking homeless) are indeed truly ridiculous.

Because they haul their kids all over suburban areas in minivans and Tahoes, they would never set foot in an urban area, they watch the Real Housevies of Beverly Hills and Jon and Kate + 800, they follow Ameriacn Idol. For all of these reasons, they are in fact ridiculous. I find the overstimulated child to be completely ridiculous as well, so while we're at it, throw him under the bus, too (or Tahoe, I suppose).

There's a reason it's hard to define hipsters. Real ones you probably couldn't even pick out now, the culture has become so popularized. They are people who did not want the soccer mom, drive-a-tahoe culture (maybe burning all that oil ain't a good thing, ya?) and went a different way and have accepted all of your ridicule as a consequence. These folks have sacrificed the popularity contest looking a bit different and make music, art, etc, that maybe nobody will buy, but hey they tried right? The same people who bash hipsters end up buying music movies and other products influenced by people who they would bash if they saw them walking down the street.

In Capitol Hill, Seattle, circa 07 when the economy there was still booming, it was possible to get a decent-paying part-time job and spend the rest of the time pursuing your craft. Now throughout the U.S. this is less and less possible. Meaning most of the brilliantly-colored hipsters you see these days are actually faking it while the real ones are battoning down the hatches.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:25 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Those doing it just for the look (i.e. spending lots of money on looking homeless) are indeed truly ridiculous.

Because they haul their kids all over suburban areas in minivans and Tahoes, they would never set foot in an urban area, they watch the Real Housevies of Beverly Hills and Jon and Kate + 800, they follow Ameriacn Idol. For all of these reasons, they are in fact ridiculous. I find the overstimulated child to be completely ridiculous as well, so while we're at it, throw him under the bus, too (or Tahoe, I suppose).

There's a reason it's hard to define hipsters. Real ones you probably couldn't even pick out now, the culture has become so popularized. They are people who did not want the soccer mom, drive-a-tahoe culture (maybe burning all that oil ain't a good thing, ya?) and went a different way and have accepted all of your ridicule as a consequence. These folks have sacrificed the popularity contest looking a bit different and make music, art, etc, that maybe nobody will buy, but hey they tried right? The same people who bash hipsters end up buying music movies and other products influenced by people who they would bash if they saw them walking down the street.

In Capitol Hill, Seattle, circa 07 when the economy there was still booming, it was possible to get a decent-paying part-time job and spend the rest of the time pursuing your craft. Now throughout the U.S. this is less and less possible. Meaning most of the brilliantly-colored hipsters you see these days are actually faking it while the real ones are battoning down the hatches.
I always find it funny that the rebellious, 'don't judge me, man' crowd are the first to judge. Who cares about soccer moms?? Silly. I adore hipsters, soccer moms, scene kids, old people, really anyone except the people who write checks at the grocery store.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
really anyone except the people who write checks at the grocery store.
I agree with you here, but only here. Soccer moms are the bane of my existence and all mankind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin