Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 12,152 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Austin from Boston in September. I do not have a car, which has never been a problem here. I know there are buses, but how convenient is transportation there really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 05:57 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,957,822 times
98% of people in Texas use a car because there is substantial sprawl and public transportation in not very good. If you are selective about where you live and where and when you travel you can make it without a car but it will be far from convienient.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:12 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
It is quite possible (my brother hasn't had a car in 20 years or so in Austin), but you have to be very patient, and plan ahead....

Old 07-19-2007, 08:11 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,750 times
Very, very, VERY patient. Some busses only come once an hour, most come every 1/2 hour. Don't miss your bus!!

The public transpo here sucks.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:40 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
I was told by a long-timer that the buses were great but that they have low ridership. Looking at the routes, it seem to be a very extensive system. I know it's been mentioned before on this forum but Austin needs streetcars. Modern, attractive, efficient streetcars. Not more buses. People hate riding them. The large, powerful auto companies forced them upon us in the 1950s and then ripped out all of the awesome, useful streetcars...nationally. In fact when I was in Austin last week, I saw a street downtown that still had exposed track showing. I think that this has been one of the most disastrous decisions made in cities post WWII. Things will just get worse as cities grow...and grow they will.

This issue seems to be a very charged subject locally so I'll stop here

Old 07-19-2007, 09:13 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
I think there were also some liability issues with the streetcars...people were jumping on/off while they were moving (which is kind of the intent), but when someone got hurt, of course they sued

Old 07-19-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I think there were also some liability issues with the streetcars...people were jumping on/off while they were moving (which is kind of the intent), but when someone got hurt, of course they sued
Of course they did Ruin things for everybody.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:22 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,634 times
Streetcars would be fantastic. I would even go for the idea of monorails since they are raised above traffic and tend to go places a lot more quickly.

I think Austin has a decent bus system but we need more options. As for the original question, I think you could easily live in Austin without a car as long as you picked the right spot. The central city is very good for walking/biking and taking the bus, in my opinion.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I think Austin has a decent bus system but we need more options. As for the original question, I think you could easily live in Austin without a car as long as you picked the right spot. The central city is very good for walking/biking and taking the bus, in my opinion.
That was our thinking when looking for an apartment. We were willing to sacrifice modernity for location. Finding the balance that works financially is the trick.

My wife and I are going down to one car so biking/walking/busing will be the first choice for getting around and about.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:22 PM

20 posts, read 58,451 times
Default Fellow Yankee

I will be moving to Austin soon too. I can't wait!! It seems like a wonderful place. Anyway, the PT is not as good as us Yankees are used to. NYC and Boston has it beat any day. I did hear however, that they will be building a new train system soon and a new bus system will be going into affect. Will you be living downtown or the burbs? The only buses I saw last time I was there were UT buses. Still, it can only get better right???!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin