Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:27 AM

37 posts, read 86,224 times

Advertisements

I am from Wisconsin. I currently have a business here in Wisconsin and currently make around $80,000. I want to relecate to austin for several years now but just havent got the guts to do it. I can not stand the cold here anymore and want to live for quality of life. I enjoy boating, fishing, parks, and business. I am concerned about JOBS. My wife just graduated with a bachelors degree in business administration and I own a commercial cleaning business that I want to start in Austin. My two concerns are how difficult will it be for my wife to get a job, and my business specializes in servicing restaurants. With the huge population of hispanics I have heard that low labor makes the service industry hard because the bids are so much lower? I am not racist by any means but my average job in wisconsin is around $450.00. Do you think that because of the illegal hispanic population that my bids will dramatically decrease. Please give me information that is relevent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 02:38 PM

39 posts, read 96,689 times
That's a tough nut to crack!

If you can trade your salary for a milder climate, then you'll certainly have that in Austin. You will not be getting $80k off the bat since it will be almost like starting over. Your wife's new degree and job could help offset some of those financial hurdles. If you own your home in Wisconsin, I'd suggest putting it on the market asap. Then you might want to consider renting for a little bit before committing to a monthly mortgage.

I cannot help you on the service industry as I do not have much info there. Hope the other information was helpful though.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:14 PM

239 posts, read 518,203 times
Do you really want to be cleaning kitchens in 100+ heat? Personally I would not pull up stakes, sell my house and try to relocate (what sounds to be a good) business. THE GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER. All the good you hear about Austin is largely due to a good marketing campaign. Austin is a big small town and the economy is still tough....not as bad as other areas of the country, but still tough. Jobs are not plentiful. As for a restaurant cleaning service...on one hand you have a lot of locally owned restaurants...with margins the way they are it would be a tough sell. I don't know about franchises, but since everything is a corporate decision I would think it would be hard for a small independent to get a foot in the door.
And if the business fails, it would be difficult to find other means of employment now.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:14 AM

37 posts, read 86,224 times
Thanks for the input. I dont clean kitchens but I do work with restaurants. Either way we want to move. In reality there should be no reason I should have to be stuck in this winter haven I call hell for the rest of my life. The way I see it is I should atleast try if i doesnt pan out I move back and get my cash here. I have to atleast try I would not be american if I didnt.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by directimports3 View Post
Thanks for the input. I dont clean kitchens but I do work with restaurants. Either way we want to move. In reality there should be no reason I should have to be stuck in this winter haven I call hell for the rest of my life. The way I see it is I should atleast try if i doesnt pan out I move back and get my cash here. I have to atleast try I would not be american if I didnt.
That's a very positive optimistic view. I think you will be fine. By the way, Georgetown is still known for its small business community.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:20 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
The restaurant and hospitality industry is experiencing a bit of a boom here right now, and in fact most of the jobs being created here are in that industry. They aren't the highly desirable tech jobs everyone expects, but the fact that there is so much activity there indicates good health in that market segment. So you have that going for you.

But you are correct to surmise that cheap labor from south of the border is plentiful here... that probably does put downward pressure on the price for services like yours. On the other hand, anyone can play that game -- so if you needed cheap labor to stay competitive, it's available to you just like anyone else in your business.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:11 AM

170 posts, read 446,644 times
Why Austin? Have you been here? Are there specific things you like about it? Moving is a huge decision and "it's cold in Wisconsin" may not be the best reason to move to Austin. Austin's a place with a strong personality (in addition to those mild winters) and it may or may not be a good fit for you. A little more information would help everyone give you some specific recommendations.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:09 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl26 View Post
Why Austin? Have you been here? Are there specific things you like about it? Moving is a huge decision and "it's cold in Wisconsin" may not be the best reason to move to Austin. Austin's a place with a strong personality (in addition to those mild winters) and it may or may not be a good fit for you. A little more information would help everyone give you some specific recommendations.
I Agree.

Why not the Metroplex, or Htown (that are frankly MUCH bigger with more potential clients & more job opportunities for your wife) or a dozen other mid sized cities (that are similar in size to Austin) that don't have Wisconsin winters.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiegirl26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I Agree.

Why not the Metroplex, or Htown (that are frankly MUCH bigger with more potential clients & more job opportunities for your wife) or a dozen other mid sized cities (that are similar in size to Austin) that don't have Wisconsin winters.
Because Austin rocks! the better question is, why not?

Old 02-10-2011, 02:14 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
Because Austin rocks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
Georgetown is still known for its small business community.
Yes!!

The Greater Austin–Round Rock–San Marcos Metropolitan Statistical Area rocks!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin