Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 03:16 PM

48 posts, read 144,641 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, with the economy that way it is, it has been affecting my ability to save money. I am struggling to make it with my current job. Before taxes, I make 40-45k, and have mortgage, and many other required bills. I also live in Leander, where water/sewer rates are through the roof, and in a propane community, where my bill is $40/month just for water heater and stove this time of year. I've received a pay cut and will take effect in July, but thankful that I didn't lose my job as many others have. With me already struggling, and an upcoming paycut, I see no other alternative than to get a part-time job on top of my fulltime job, but will hopefully get hired fulltime elsewhere making more money without the part-time need.

Guess my question boils down to this -- Does anyone have any suggestions on a "decent" paying part-time job that has hours 5:30PM - 10PMish in NW Austin/CP/RR/Leander? Any suggestions are much appreciated!

PS: Already scouting out monster jobs, craigslist, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 03:36 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
PM work means different things to different people, you might try to be more clear on what that means in your case.

To me PM means Project Management related to architectural and engineering or construction projects. Those areas are some of those that were hardest hit in this recession. There are a lot of qualified PM workers unemployed and looking for work in this economy. In my experience PM jobs are rarely part-time.

I know a lot of people who would feel fortunate to be in your position, having a $40k job. With the Estimated median household income Austin in 2009 of $50,132, you are doing pretty good. I'm not trying to discourage you from trying to better yourself, but the quickest way to give yourself a raise in this economy is to look for areas where you can cut back your expenses. There are lots of good ideas on how to do that here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/frugal-living/

Wishing you all the best.

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-30-2011 at 04:24 PM..

Old 04-30-2011, 04:08 PM

543 posts, read 1,382,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
PM work means different things to different people, you might try to be more clear on what that means in your case.

To me PM means Project Management related to architectural and engineering or construction projects. Those areas are some of those that were hardest hit in this recession. There are a lot of qualified PM workers unemployed and looking for work in this economy. In my experience PM jobs are rarely part-time.

I know a lot of people who would feel fortunate to be in your position, having a $40k job. With the
Estimated median household income Austin in 2009 of $50,132, you are doing pretty good. I'm not trying to discourage you from trying to better yourself, but the quickest way to give yourself a raise in this economy is to look for areas where you can cut back your expenses. There are lots of good ideas on how to do that here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/frugal-living/

Wishing you all the best.
I think by PM the OP means a part time job in the evenings. Or at least that's the way I read the post.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:53 PM

48 posts, read 144,641 times
thanks CptnRn - First action item for me to cut back on, unfortunately, is my silverado pickup truck.. $75/week in gas (Leander to RR daily), then $500/month. Good call on clarifying PM! So I'll clarify by saying: evening work (after 5:30PM).

Old 04-30-2011, 04:55 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,420 times
I make a bit less than you and am also paying the high water and electricity rates in the area as well as a moderate mortgage. Rather than get a part time job I found a room mate. I don't know if that is an option for you but it is something to consider.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:02 PM

I spent most of my professional life as an architect having to do the things I'm suggesting below in order to make ends meet and build our savings, maybe some of these ideas will help you. A few frugal living ideas:

Do you have both a cell phone and a land line? Get rid of the land line.

Do you pay 60-70/month for your cell phone contract? That is at least $720/ year. You can get a pay as you go cell phone with AT&T for only $100/ year which gets you 400 minutes. If you try to ration that you can get by with it, and you can always prepay another $100/400 minutes anytime you need more. It still comes out to a lot less then $720/year.

Do you drive a gas guzzler to work every day? Get rid of it and buy a more economical vehicle.

Do you drive by your self to work each day? Start car pooling.

Use Gas Price Heat Map - Austin Gas Prices to find the least expensive places to buy gas along your commute to work.

Do you buy your bulk grocery items at one of the main chain stores? Start shopping at Sam's Club or Costco for the bulk items you use every month.

Plant shade trees on the East, West and south sides of your house to shelter it from the sun, they will also shelter it from winter winds, saving you money in all seasons.

If you don't already have one, get a programmable thermostate and set it to adjust your house temperatures to save energy when you are gone during the day or sleeping at night.

A fan next to, or ceiling fan over your bed can make it comfortable for you to sleep at night without turning the AC way down.

Get rid of your cable TV and high speed internet connection, Austin has more free wifi internet connections then most any other city, you can get by doing all of your personal email and internet searches at public libraires and other free wi-fi spots such as these:

Leander Free Wifi Hotspots - Free WiFi hotspots wi-fi cafes coffee shops hotels wireless airports

Leander, TX - Free WiFi Hotspot Locations

Cedar Park, TX - Free WiFi Hotspot Locations

Austin, TX - Free WiFi Hotspot Locations

It is still possible with a TV antenna from Radio Shack to get most of the local TV stations without cable. Use NetFlix for a few movies each week, much cheaper then cable.

Get a free email account at gmail.com. You can check it from any computer, including free ones at Schlotzsky's Deli shops and public libraries.

Does your checking account cost you money every month? Does your savings account pay you practically nothing in interest? That is true of most of them, but the following accounts pay 3% for checking and 2% for savings, if you meet the "qualification" requirements which are not difficult to do (Make (8) debit card purchases (excludes ATM transactions), 2. Initiate (1) ACH Direct Deposit or Auto Debit, 3. Receive eStatements).
Free Rewards Checking Personal Account | McKinney - Austin - Waco - Denton | Texas - TX | Independent Bank
REALSaver Personal Savings Account | McKinney - Austin - Waco - Denton | Texas - TX | Independent Bank
These rates are better then any Certificate of Deposit or Money Market accounts I have been able to find anywhere in the US. I know, because I shop around every month to find the best places to keep our retirement savings.

St. Augustine grass in the yard has got to go, it is ridiculous to me when I think back at the thousands of dollars I have spent in past years trying to keep St. Augustine grass looking green. Absolutely insane!

Again, best wishes...

P.S. I know a lot of the things I'm suggesting you get rid of might seem shocking to a younger person, but they are things I spent most of my 60 years of liveing doing with out, so I know it is possible. And not that great of a hardship.

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-30-2011 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: P.S.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinking View Post
I make a bit less than you and am also paying the high water and electricity rates in the area as well as a moderate mortgage. Rather than get a part time job I found a room mate. I don't know if that is an option for you but it is something to consider.
Not a bad idea, maybe someone you or your wife works with, it would be a big help financially.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:12 PM

355 posts, read 923,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurrican19 View Post
Unfortunately, with the economy that way it is, it has been affecting my ability to save money. I am struggling to make it with my current job. Before taxes, I make 40-45k, and have mortgage, and many other required bills. I also live in Leander, where water/sewer rates are through the roof, and in a propane community, where my bill is $40/month just for water heater and stove this time of year. I've received a pay cut and will take effect in July, but thankful that I didn't lose my job as many others have. With me already struggling, and an upcoming paycut, I see no other alternative than to get a part-time job on top of my fulltime job, but will hopefully get hired fulltime elsewhere making more money without the part-time need.

Guess my question boils down to this -- Does anyone have any suggestions on a "decent" paying part-time job that has hours 5:30PM - 10PMish in NW Austin/CP/RR/Leander? Any suggestions are much appreciated!

PS: Already scouting out monster jobs, craigslist, etc.
You mean PT, right? Part time?

Apply at your local Home Depot, then bug the mgr. every week.

You'll probably have to work a weekend day too. Very few companies will hire someone for just evenings during the week.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurrican19 View Post
thanks CptnRn - First action item for me to cut back on, unfortunately, is my silverado pickup truck.. $75/week in gas (Leander to RR daily), then $500/month. Good call on clarifying PM! So I'll clarify by saying: evening work (after 5:30PM).
It is not unfortunate, I owned a pickup truck when I lived in Colorado back in 1973-76, big mistake, was hard to afford even back then, I had to get rid of it so I could afford college. In the last 33 years on Texas I have managed to get by without one, you can too. Rent one for the odd occasion when you actually need one. or pay a friend handsomely to help you by using his. Unless you absolutely must have one to do your job, you will save money.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:41 PM

732 posts, read 2,126,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I spent most of my professional life as an architect having to do the things I'm suggesting below in order to make ends meet and build our savings, maybe some of these ideas will help you. A few frugal living ideas:

Do you have both a cell phone and a land line? Get rid of the land line.

Do you pay 60-70/month for your cell phone contract? That is at least $720/ year. You can get a pay as you go cell phone with AT&T for only $100/ year which gets you 400 minutes. If you try to ration that you can get by with it, and you can always prepay another $100/400 minutes anytime you need more. It still comes out to a lot less then $720/year.
This is exactly how I have started thinking about things. I just add up how much things cost per year. I have never gone without cable my entire life but I dumped that several months ago and with my HSI I don't miss it. $70/mo = $840/year.

I cut my texting and web access on my phone and save another $30/mo = $360/yr. I don't have a landline so I can't get a bare bones phone plan.

Consider a higher deductible on car insurance and shop around. It is still a good idea to have higher than state minimums for your limits because if you end up sued to cover medical bills or the new Mercedes you wrecked you will be in an even worse financial situation and it doesn't cost much more to raise your limits.

Don't drive needlessly. Combine trips to save fuel.

DON'T EAT OUT! I eat out once or twice a month and alternate paying with my girlfriend. We save a ton of money this way. Instead, buy better foods at the grocery store. Generic foods are NOT the same. They tend to have way more sodium. I noticed this just recently when trying to reduce sodium intake as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: