Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:55 AM

64 posts, read 104,836 times

Advertisements

Artz Rib House on S. Lamar. Really good BBQ, cole slaw and great live music (love the Blue Grass)! They have really good lunches, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 06:10 AM

597 posts, read 1,317,821 times
According to the Times article one of the Mueller kids is opening a spot in Austin, praise the lord. Driving to Taylor for BBQ is a real pain.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:42 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,355,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I've never gone by Texas Monthly's ratings on BBQ (or much of anything else), though I do use them sometimes to find new places to try and make my own judgment.

I have to agree with tfresca. Our impression when we did go to Franklin's (and I will go back just to pacify some on here and to give them a second chance, though my husband says no way I'm going to drag him back, there's too many consistently good places to go without the crowds generated by hype) was that the people surrounding us "weren't from here" and really didn't have much to compare to and were overly impressed by it being (a) in a trailer and (b) on the east side of I35, barely.

I DO think they have an awesome marketing campaign going, though. Sometimes that's enough.
Franklin 'que's reputation was not built by "hype" in the media or by the official food critics. It was by word of mouth for the first year of his existence.

Aaron has no real marketing campaign.

The "original" fans of Franklin are resentful of the Johnny come lately media hounds who are generating excessive traffic at the place.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:30 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfresca View Post
According to the Times article one of the Mueller kids is opening a spot in Austin, praise the lord. Driving to Taylor for BBQ is a real pain.
And here we have part of the problem. If folks aren't willing to do what's necessary for really good 'cue, then they're going to think that if it's quick and easy to get to, that's what makes good BBQ to them. If you want to find the best of the best, chances are really good that you're going to have to drive a little. (And any good Texan has no problem with that - heck, we've been known to drive to Houston and back for an afternoon of lunch and shopping!)

Of course, there are several places that I prefer to Franklin's that are as close or closer, which argues against that premise. Sam's, in East Austin, a longstanding tradition with great BBQ. Park House ("Need no teef to eat my beef") is practically downtown and has been there forever. And several others.

I suspect, given the number of really excellent BBQ places that are as available and convenient as Franklin's, that it's more a matter of "new! and! improved!" or "I found a new secret place!" in action.

And thus we have the BBQ wars. There's precious little that's as subjective - or passionate - as BBQ!

Last edited by TexasHorseLady; 06-22-2011 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: Word change - my fingers typed a different word than my mind was thinkiing!

Old 06-22-2011, 09:27 AM

Since the tourists are overrunning Franklin, I'd just as soon run by Rudy's for a quick fix.

I'll probably go to Franklin on a Tuesday or a Wednesday this Fall & get in line early to have son & DIL meet up for a lunch. Otherwise it'll be a rare treat.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:45 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,871,129 times
A lot of you in here are what I'd like to call BBQ snobs.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:54 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
Define "BBQ snob", please?

Is that someone who is serious about BBQ and has a preferred style and place or places that serve it? Or someone who only eats BBQ and thinks all other foods are somehow inferior? Or what?

Old 06-22-2011, 11:01 AM

Not me.

I like the HEB Mesquite smoked briskets.

We even serve it sliced in small fingerfood size pieces at our Christmas party here at home.....along with all the other goodies.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Define "BBQ snob", please?

Is that someone who is serious about BBQ and has a preferred style and place or places that serve it? Or someone who only eats BBQ and thinks all other foods are somehow inferior? Or what?
When people start to overanalyze bbq... that's when it gets snobby. If it's good, then it's good. If Franklin's has a lot of people going there, then something must be good. If Salt Lick still holds its reputation then it still must be good. If Lockhart is still considered the capitol of BBQ then the bbq joints there must not be at all overhyped. I mean... this gets really silly at some point. Enjoy your bbq people!

I'm in California and how I wish I could at least have the least of the bbq joints from austin. Lambert's, Iron Works, Ruby's... any of that would suffice.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Not me.

I like the HEB Mesquite smoked briskets.

We even serve it sliced in small fingerfood size pieces at our Christmas party here at home.....along with all the other goodies.
Heck! Anything from HEB right now sounds good! The barbacoa, (which is the real BBQ, by the way ) would be killer to have right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: