Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:41 AM

392 posts, read 749,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
I know. I never considered pulled pork to be BBQ. I knew it was a North Carolina thing, but to equate it with Texas barbeque! omg..
I admit I associate pulled pork with BBQ, but I'm from Louisiana. I do however realize that brisket is the benchmark. I think I can allow myself to have a weird definition of BBQ though, since I'm sure most of the folks around here can't cook a proper gumbo like I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 04:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu7 View Post
I admit I associate pulled pork with BBQ, but I'm from Louisiana. I do however realize that brisket is the benchmark. I think I can allow myself to have a weird definition of BBQ though, since I'm sure most of the folks around here can't cook a proper gumbo like I do.
Well, my gumbo has been known to drag people in off the street asking if possibly we were having a party and if so, could they come and have some of whatever smells so wonderful, please, ma'am?

Not from Louisiana, but the husband's bloodlines (and thus taste buds) are, so I learned!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:33 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And here we have part of the problem. If folks aren't willing to do what's necessary for really good 'cue, then they're going to think that if it's quick and easy to get to, that's what makes good BBQ to them. If you want to find the best of the best, chances are really good that you're going to have to drive a little. (And any good Texan has no problem with that - heck, we've been known to drive to Houston and back for an afternoon of lunch and shopping!)

Of course, there are several places that I prefer to Franklin's that are as close or closer, which argues against that premise. Sam's, in East Austin, a longstanding tradition with great BBQ. Park House ("Need no teef to eat my beef") is practically downtown and has been there forever. And several others.

I suspect, given the number of really excellent BBQ places that are as available and convenient as Franklin's, that it's more a matter of "new! and! improved!" or "I found a new secret place!" in action.

And thus we have the BBQ wars. There's precious little that's as subjective - or passionate - as BBQ!
Gas is going to be almost $4 a gallon for a while. Distance is a big factor of where I go and spend my money these days. If I can go somewhere just as good and save $10 in gas I will do it. Is Sam's or Green Mesquite actually good? I've never been and the yelp reviews are all over the place.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:39 AM

156 posts, read 404,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I have to disagree. For the best brisket, it's City Market in Luling or a little place in Bartlett where you can only get it on weekends. Franklin's brisket (which I tried because I was hearing all these wonderful things about it and was all excited about a new place) was average. Sauce was very nice, though.

i second that! city market in luling

Old 07-03-2011, 07:06 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
No small feat, considering it's Bon Appetit that's bestowing the honor.

National magazine names Austin barbecue joint the best in America | kvue.com Austin

I had been meaning to go there for some time, but now it's going to be a 2 hour wait.

Congrats, Franklin!
Maybe its good. I am not inclined to wait two hours to find out how good. Regardless of how prestigious the national magazine, the reviewer for Bon Appetit has ZERO credibility. This quote makes it obvious how little he knows about Texas barbecue brisket: "Whereas most places smoke brisket for seven hours at a blazing 500°......." I doubt even Bill Miller stores do this.

Don

Old 07-04-2011, 07:36 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfresca View Post
Gas is going to be almost $4 a gallon for a while. Distance is a big factor of where I go and spend my money these days. If I can go somewhere just as good and save $10 in gas I will do it. Is Sam's or Green Mesquite actually good? I've never been and the yelp reviews are all over the place.
I'd go to Sam's or House Park or Mann's BBQ or Iron Works in town, myself, for close-in BBQ though Green Mesquite is reliable.

Mixed reviews (all over the place) are pretty much a given with any BBQ joint - people have very strong opinions about BBQ!

Old 07-04-2011, 08:40 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,124,507 times
best BBQ in town is your back yard :-) Saturday smoked a turkey, today brisket.... easy to do and very yummy.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 PM

319 posts, read 737,238 times
The Franklins line kills it for me. I have been there, it's good but no food is worth waiting for an hour to find out there is no meat because they are trying to create hype. Silly.

I think Poke E Joes is the most underrated BBQ in Austin...

Old 07-16-2011, 05:34 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
WRONG Carolina for pulled pork(says the USC Gamecock), those tarheels can KEEP their vinegar sauce...even Bobby Flay went to SOUTH Carolina for his sauce in a throwdown!

I'm doing MY best to edumacate Texas BBQ joints about pulled pork and sweet tea. NOT trying to CHANGE the ways of central Texas, just ADDING to the excellent fare currently available. I'm happy to say, we're finding quite a few 'pits' offering pulled pork. Man cannot live by brisket alone!

Can't wait until lunch tomorrow!
KC BBQ: sweet molasses based sauces, beef burnt ends and creamy cole slaw with crisp onion rings
TX BBQ: spicy, robust based sauces, beef briskets and spicy cole slaw with mayo based potato salad
SC BBQ: vinegar based sauces, pulled pork a main stay with mustard based potato salads or green beans with pork
New Orleans BBQ: spicy butter based sauces, featuring shrimp, served with dirty rice or other Cajun dishes on the side

All of these are wonderful, but I think TX wins out. I just went to the Salt Lick today, and nothing beats their pork ribs and brisket, oh my God! I also love the hot potato salad there.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:11 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
KC BBQ: sweet molasses based sauces, beef burnt ends and creamy cole slaw with crisp onion rings
TX BBQ: spicy, robust based sauces, beef briskets and spicy cole slaw with mayo based potato salad
SC BBQ: vinegar based sauces, pulled pork a main stay with mustard based potato salads or green beans with pork
New Orleans BBQ: spicy butter based sauces, featuring shrimp, served with dirty rice or other Cajun dishes on the side

All of these are wonderful, but I think TX wins out. I just went to the Salt Lick today, and nothing beats their pork ribs and brisket, oh my God! I also love the hot potato salad there.
I don't know if we will hit Salt Lick, but we've got a passel of visitors from Mississippi coming tomorrow and BBQ will be a daily staple(I hope). I'm going to vote against Rudy's(not that I don't like it, just want to go somewhere different for the 'large group meal'.) I see Dickey's has a couple of new locations...not bad for pulled pork and sausage. Johnny T's Round Rock BBQ works just fine for me! Got a couple of coupons for Branch BBQ in Wells Branch...might give that a try.

We're 'entertaining' two adults, two teen-aged, football playing boys and four elementary aged kiddos...this BBQ quest could get pretty spendy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: