Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:26 PM

55 posts, read 235,817 times

Advertisements

Hi! What can y'all tell me about the buttercup creek and forest oaks subdivisions in cedar park? What's the lowdown - especially as it applies to families with young kids? Being a current ausinite, Im trying to get a feel for these areas as we househunt. And why is cedar park soooo much cheaper than austin as far as home prices??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 07:35 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,436,440 times
It's cheaper because you aren't in Austin, and you don't have as easy access to the city. I prefer SW Austin. Lived in Cedar Park about 10 years ago and hated it. It's more chain restaurants and more like Plano than Austin.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:50 PM

43 posts, read 84,797 times
ditto to what llkltk said. It's far, far away from Austin. So far, that I actually think twice about going into the city, I have to strategically plan it. Lived here for ~2 yrs. Looking forward to being closer in. BUT, you are married with kids. You might find it just dandy, as do my other family members, who also have spawn.

If you are single, it sorta sucks. uh, not sorta, it does.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:06 PM

55 posts, read 235,817 times
Well, we would be moving from just north of Lakeway, actually. We live right across the street from Lakeway! So maybe we'd feel closer in then?

Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,436,440 times
I would consider Dripping Springs or SW Austin. What's your budget?

Old 07-26-2011, 10:19 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,995 times
I always get a kick out of people who answer a question with completely irrelevant information. OP was asking about a specific part of Cedar Park, so who cares about SW Austin (SW Austin is chock full of big boxes and chains too)? OP specifically stated, "especially as it applies to families with young kids," so who cares if it sucks for singles (which I agree with)?

My wife and I just moved to Buttercup Creek from 2222/620 area and love it so far (I'm from Portland, OR and she is from South Austin). Both of us are teachers and are beginning a family soon- and we are even dare I say it, progressive liberals in Wilco. Buttercup Creek is great for families. It is safe and quiet, has good schools, mature trees (our home has over 15 large oaks), tons of little parks, is close to the lake, and CP has enough conveniences for a young family. CP has a nice recreation center, 3 nice city pools, a farmer's market, and city festivals every once in a while.

If you have a need to go into downtown Austin every day, it may be a bit far- traffic at times, using more gas, killing the the whole world with pollution thingy. But, it really only takes about 25 minutes once you get on 183 (with no traffic). We play a ton of tennis, cycle, jog, pretty much anything active and Buttercup is close to open space to do all that as well. If you are currently in Lakeway area and work up north, it is a much straighter shot.

Cedar Park is a suburb in every sense of the word (but it has a solid sushi place- Daichi, 2 good places to get a Michelada, and yes, of course a few chains too). It is certainly a family city. Hipsters must really hate it when they go back to visit their mums.

***Buttercup Creek north of Buttercup Creek Blvd. is nicer and has larger homes than south of the street

Last edited by Acuda; 07-26-2011 at 11:11 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 09:23 AM

554 posts, read 1,746,737 times
I have friends who live in both neighborhoods, Forest Oaks houses are a little newer but buttercup seems to have larger yards. In general Cedar Park is family friendly and very suburban and if you live near Lakeway now you will like it just fine. There are some nice parks and regular events that are kid and family friendly. You can get to any job in North Austin in 30 minutes on weekdays and anywhere downtown in 30 minutes or less on nights and weekends. You will be headed to Austin a lot if you enjoy eating out.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:21 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
More of the homes in Forest Oaks will have to 'enjoy' the noise of the train and 183A...just depends on the actual location of the lot. Buttercup has more park areas and tennis courts and as Acuda mentioned, quite a difference in appearance when comparing north of BC Blvd vs the section to the south.

I'm afraid Brushy Creek Rd. will become more of a 'cut-through' once it is widened; but I suppose that's progress. Nice that there will be a bike lane along the new, wider Brushy Creek Rd.

I know I sound a bit like a broken record; but, Avery Ranch West might have something new-ish in your price range. Five amenities centers/pools and just a touch closer in with 'easier' access to arteries headed toward Austin proper. Just a thought.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:59 PM

61 posts, read 147,712 times
Been in cedar park for 3 weeks and I live on cypress creek road in an apartment complex, I think it might be considered buttercup creek area because buttercup creek road is the next road over. Anywho if it is, I like it a lot. But coming from NY my expectations are probably different. I have everything I need right here, and downtown not at rush hour is 25 minutes away. Hope this helps...goodluck!!

Old 12-14-2014, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,229 times
Buttercup is the best neighborhood ever ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin