Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 04:58 AM

11 posts, read 16,948 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are looking at a house in this area for the mid 200s - however this house is tax appraised by the low 200s and it seems that many houses in the area are appraised at 150 and lower. It seems these houses on average are smaller as well (~1000-1800 sqft) while the house we are looking at is much larger. From what we can tell.. in the past year within a mile 32 houses were sold under 150k, and it looks like around 8 over 200k.

I'm worried about buying into one of the more expensive places in the area. Also, since its Cedar Park and new construction seems to be popping up all over the place in between neighborhoods I'm worried that over time the area will become less desirable.

The area seems nice - and the houses are smaller, the price per sq ft is in line with the bigger houses - I'm just worried of potentially losing my down payment etc.

We like the house, and we feel comfortable with the payments - we just came from selling a home and losing 20k (luckily we sold FISBO to mitigate) and we really don't want to put ourselves in the same position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,358 times
We actually live in Buttercup Creek and there are a variety of homes in the subdivision alone. The older homes (1980's) are selling at about $150-ish. This is a drop from what we paid in 2008 but that's because now is the time to buy! Off Nelson Ranch are more in the $200's and then corner of Buttercup Creek and Lakeline is a new area with even higher values. The market is stable and Cedar Park is growing like crazy so I would not worry about prices getting any lower. If anything you are buying at the bottom of the market and once lending lightens up (i am actually a mortgage loan processor) then things will pick back up. It's really a great area and we enjoy it. Close to mall and everything in Cedar Park but still pretty quiet area.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:51 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,458,709 times
We are closing on a house in Buttercup Creek on Friday. This will be our first home and we are getting it for $20,000 less than what Williamson County appraised it (sellers had another house in escrow). Our home is north of Buttercup Creek Blvd, in a very well kept, slightly older area. I've noticed some of the homes south of Buttercup Creek, but north of Cypress Creek are a bit smaller, and a few could use better upkeep, but many are still well kept houses. They sort of remind me of the Millwood area in North Austin (except they are not in Austin-some can be hit or miss). North of Buttercup Creek, the homes seem larger (ours is nearly 2400). If you are looking west of Cripple Creek/north of Buttercup Creek (near the cave area), the homes are newer and a little more. I think SDonnel is right, you are buying at a perfect time in CP. I agree that the market in the area will only go up. It is a great neighborhood with lots of trees, good schools, and close to everything. I think this area should stay strong as Buttercup Creek is a desirable area (whether one can afford 250k or 150k). And again, look at all the wonderful mature trees!

Last edited by Acuda; 04-11-2011 at 05:03 PM..

Old 04-12-2011, 04:44 AM

8 posts, read 21,999 times
Default as a current homeowner

We have had our home for sale for over 4 months... market was dead but seems to be picking up. We are North of Buttercup Creek and not in the area that seems to need a little upkeep... although that area seems to be "cleaning up" a bit.

Very nice neighborhood, though and the "feel" is the same in surrounding areas. Cedar Park is an overall quiet neighborhood and the aggressive police force keeps things quiet.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:23 AM

11 posts, read 16,948 times
Thanks guys, that gives me some relief - we want to live in an area that isn't all brand new construction - we just tend to get wary when it comes to a big investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin