Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 04:50 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,774,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCBTEX View Post
Thanks for the info. Another way to look at it is:

Austin prop tax of $4,600 = residence with value of $185K

Cali prop tax of $5,400 = residence with value of $577K

So for $1,200 more in property taxes you get a residence that is worth $392K more than what you have in Texas. When I view this ratio of tax vs. property value Texas still appears excessively high to me.

Also, your $4600 tax rate for a $185k house is high... even in Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 PM

404 posts, read 712,733 times
its really hard finding GOOD work...

Old 01-31-2012, 12:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,082 times
My wife, son, and I getting out of Austin after five very long years. My wife thought Austin was alright while I honestly was not a big fan. I moved from Denver so like some other posts I miss mountains. And yes, Austinites can be ignorant to blatantly racist to minorities which is another reason we are leaving. It is still the south. I always found it interesting how Austinites like to call themselves progressive. But you can be progressive and ignorant to other cultures at the same time. But I would not call Aistin progressive in comparison to other parts of the USA. Maybe within in TX. We are headed to the NW. Our move can not get here sooner. If you have to live in TX you want to live in Austin as the rest of TX is like a wasteland. Texans love how green Austin is unfortunately these Texans probably have never seen outside of Texas. To me Austin is a near desert even before the drought. I even live in NW hills and feel like I am in a desert. I am so looking forward to getting out of here and try to get my five years back!

Last edited by bxw133; 01-31-2012 at 12:28 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 05:17 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,277,105 times
This is a very interesting thread and I've enjoyed reading the posts, positivie and negative. We have a possible job opportunity in Austin and I'm just starting to read the Austin boards again.

I think that with any area of the US, there are positives and negatives. When the negatives start outweighing the positives, then it is time to start looking for a move. Unfortunately, this is our case in trying to get out of New Jersey. I don't want to bash NJ since I've have made some wonderful friends here. People also aren't as unfriendly as others make them out to be. I always make eye contact with people and greet them and 99% of the time, I will get a smile in return or a friendly wave. Probably not as friendly as what I've experienced in other places but not as bad as you hear. Then again, I'm originally from Hawaii and have always had that "aloha" spirit. Now don't start my husband on NYC folks--he has to work there and that place has slowly crushed his spirit, along with his 2 hour commute each way into work on the train. Reading this thread, I don't really see any huge negatives that would steer us away from a move. The heat? Not a problem. I enjoy the heat and like being outdoors. Austin may not have the cultural offerings like NJ/NY. Unfortunatly, it takes a miracle to force my husband to go into the city on a precious weekend so we haven't taken advantage of all the offerings. Just getting into the city is a giant pain in the butt for us so we don't go all that often. I will miss all the great dining opportunites and the pizza here. Pizza---yummm!! I will also admit that I have gotten spoiled having my gas pumped for me, lol, especially when it is cold and rainy out. My husband on the other hand hates that you can't pump your own gas.

As to property taxes, let me give you a bit of perspective. I just received our yearly tax summary in the mail. In 2010, we paid $13,100 (I'm off a few dollars so rounded it off) for a house we bought for $296k 13 years ago. Our house is nothing fancy--4 bedrooms, .25 acre lot, in a rather cookie cutter neighborhood. I love our house but the tax situation makes me see red. Our township is nothing spectacular but we have the honor of having very high tax rates and it is slowly driving people out.

We aren't sure about this job yet but are praying that it is a good fit for him. At this point, we are looking at almost any opportunity to move to leave the NE region. There are much worse places you can live in the US and from what I'm reading on this thread, Austin looks pretty good for our family.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:20 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,063,445 times
I don't understand transplants who do this. It sounds like you came with preconceived notions of Texas and never let these go. I don't think Austin is racist, but to imply the rest of the state is (Houston?? Dallas?) is absurd and false. Austin isn't green enough for you, then you say the rest of Texas is even more a wasteland? Obviously you've never set foot near east Texas. You think The Woodlands (Houston suburb) name is just a joke someone made up? The Piney Woods? Texas is ignorant to other cultures? Central Houston probably has more cultures than Denver plus several other cities combined. And Austin feels like a desert even before the drought? That's a first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxw133 View Post
My wife, son, and I getting out of Austin after five very long years. My wife thought Austin was alright while I honestly was not a big fan. I moved from Denver so like some other posts I miss mountains. And yes, Austinites can be ignorant to blatantly racist to minorities which is another reason we are leaving. It is still the south. I always found it interesting how Austinites like to call themselves progressive. But you can be progressive and ignorant to other cultures at the same time. But I would not call Aistin progressive in comparison to other parts of the USA. Maybe within in TX. We are headed to the NW. Our move can not get here sooner. If you have to live in TX you want to live in Austin as the rest of TX is like a wasteland. Texans love how green Austin is unfortunately these Texans probably have never seen outside of Texas. To me Austin is a near desert even before the drought. I even live in NW hills and feel like I am in a desert. I am so looking forward to getting out of here and try to get my five years back!

Old 01-31-2012, 08:25 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,067,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxw133 View Post
I've lived in the PNW (Seattle for 18 years). I don't find Austin anymore racist than Seattle to be honest. I've seen other parts of TX. It's fine that you don't like TX or Austin, but I don't really think it's a "wasteland."

Old 01-31-2012, 11:11 AM

48 posts, read 184,558 times
Haven't gotten through all the posts yet, but this is an extremely helpful thread. We've lived in DC for almost eight years, so clearly we scoff at Austin traffic. Moved here from Florida, so the heat may be a little more intense there and last longer, but eh. That's what a/c and margaritas are for.

Looking for a little slower pace, friendlier people/real friends, less crime, lower cost of living, better food. Also considering ATL, Raleigh, and Charleston, but would prefer a more progressive political mindset. Austin seems to hit everything we're looking for. We don't have kids. Want a place we can really settle into, stay for a long time, possibly until old(er) age, and make great memories with fun people who know that your job doesn't define you (as it does in DC). It just seems like a good fit for us.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:19 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,579,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Also, your $4600 tax rate for a $185k house is high... even in Austin.
I wish that was the case. I just paid my $5400 2011 property tax bill for my house that is appraised at $196K in NW Round Rock.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:20 AM

481 posts, read 2,418,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
I just received our yearly tax summary in the mail. In 2010, we paid $13,100 (I'm off a few dollars so rounded it off) for a house we bought for $296k 13 years ago.
Wow. That's crazy.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:13 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,057,555 times
Great thread. It's interesting to read all the comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin