Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 12:00 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Welcome to Austin in the winter! Overcast, windy and cold!
...sure, except it hasn't been windy, it hasn't been cold, and it's not winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 10:28 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,597 times
I wish we hadn't already had that freeze/frost. My plants were looking great until then and would have really appreciated the rain. Oh well. I'm just happy we're getting it! I planted wildflower seeds with my fingers crossed in Sept and Oct that we would get enough rain this winter to get them going in the spring. So far so good!

Old 12-19-2011, 08:10 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
More rain today too!

Old 12-19-2011, 08:15 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,058,220 times
A nice drizzly morning here in RR to get things started before that (hopefully) big front moves in later today!

Altho I know they said all this rain we're getting is a "fluke" because of the drought and things should stay "dry" until June of next year. But they also said if every rainstorm we had been getting lately equaled 4-5" each time - it would help replenish the watersheds. Most of it seems to be evaporating.

But in the meantime, I'll enjoy every drop we're getting...

Old 12-19-2011, 09:07 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
A nice drizzly morning here in RR to get things started before that (hopefully) big front moves in later today!

Altho I know they said all this rain we're getting is a "fluke" because of the drought and things should stay "dry" until June of next year. But they also said if every rainstorm we had been getting lately equaled 4-5" each time - it would help replenish the watersheds. Most of it seems to be evaporating.

But in the meantime, I'll enjoy every drop we're getting...
I've heard the same things. I understand that 4-5" would be better but come on, there is no doubt that this rain is helping. It's also good that there is very little runoff so all this water gets absorbed.

It can take a long time to emerge completely from "drought" status...but I doubt that it will be in extreme status that whole time.

What remains to be seen is if La Nina re-emerges in the winter and Austin has another drier than average winter season.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:47 AM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
I've heard the same things. I understand that 4-5" would be better but come on, there is no doubt that this rain is helping. It's also good that there is very little runoff so all this water gets absorbed.

It can take a long time to emerge completely from "drought" status...but I doubt that it will be in extreme status that whole time.

What remains to be seen is if La Nina re-emerges in the winter and Austin has another drier than average winter season.
They were telling us La Nina was going to continue for another 6 months up here in Seattle but we have had a really dry fall with a great deal more sun than we usually have this time of year. That typically means rain for my family in Texas. Works for you and works for me! Except it means the skiing is not as good as I had hoped. We've only had one day of powder

Old 12-20-2011, 11:27 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Welcome to Austin in the winter! Overcast, windy and cold!
Hi eepstein, thanks for chiming in. I just wanted to remind you that you accidentally forgot to respond to the questions about how the city forced people to shut down their Christmas lights: http://www.city-data.com/forum/21931024-post28.html

Thanks for your help in clearing up any confusion.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:31 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,058,220 times
Back on topic: Got 1/2" altogether from that all-day Monday rain yesterday in RR!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:36 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Rain for tomorrow too!

Old 12-20-2011, 05:03 PM

7 posts, read 15,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cking27 View Post
Here's a great site to view rain totals. At top left change the Hydromet data to the various Rainfall options.

Hydromet
Weather Underground lets you select the nearest weather station to your home so you can get a pretty accurate rainfall read also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin