Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 05:53 PM

173 posts, read 460,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashina View Post
That describes me for sure. Be careful about moving to Austin just because you've heard it's "hip". Make sure your lifestyle matches Austin's or you'll be very bored.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Just think about it just about anything you wanna do you have to leave town to do it. Even lake Travis is not technically in Austin.

And I actually like Austin very much, for me it's home right now. I don't know that I'll stay here for the long haul though. As I would like something to do some of the time...which is why I am seriously considering a permanent move to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 05:57 PM

173 posts, read 460,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharNative View Post
I think that you're imagining things. A cross dressing, gay, Amish couple wouldn't draw "looks" in downtown Austin much less an Asian/white pair.
Are you kidding?

I look at people all the time in downtown Austin and a gay, cross dressing, amish couple would definately catch my attention.

A white and asian couple...not so much. But I won't deny the man his experiences, he knows what he goes through everyday.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:11 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I have a very good friend who left Texas for NYC for about the same reasons. She's built a good life for herself there, but last time I talked to her she said that one of the things she misses about Texas is the peace and quiet and privacy you don't find in NY. And sometimes she likes a break from all the go,go, go lifestyle there too.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:10 AM

6 posts, read 19,762 times
Default Reaching out in Austin

Hi,

I've been in Texas my WHOLE life, and I am itching to leave. I've tried making Austin work for the past 12 years, and I agree, it just ain't happening.

I've tried reaching out to African Americans during several points in my Austin tenure, and I've limited success. For some reason, I've found in general that it's hard for African Americans to commit to plans, or take time out to make an effort. I am not sure why this is.

I did start a natural hair meetup group, and to my pleasant surprise, I met some amazing women. I would recommend giving meetup a try, perhaps even starting a new group.

I've never been a church-goer, but at for one stretch, I did visit Mt. Sinai, and the minister is amazing.

One more point, if you hear about how great and liberal Austin is - it's really about how great and liberal it is for Whites. Blacks simply don't have enough presence (8-9%) or economic influence to make an impact culturally. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:47 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Austin is really overhyped and it just does not live up to it. Its no different than any other city.
Chose a nice active neighborhood to live in and you too can enjoy Austin like I have for the past three years!

Old 12-04-2007, 02:25 AM

226 posts, read 1,169,170 times
I think Austin, like any place, is largely what you make of it. Of course, you want to choose a place that suits you to begin with, but, after that, I think it's entirely up to you to fit in and make it happen. I think we, myself included, are very child-like at times, complaining about how this or that place or situation doesn't suit them. I've learned that once I take my own responsibility to make it happen, whether person, place, or thing I'm involved with, things get much better. When I used to blame things or situations, it was just a cop out. You can make any place you live in a paradise, short of an abject ghetto, and maybe even there. Most people will spend their entire lives, even in old age, whining about external circumstances, which were really under their control the whole time, if they just took the effort and responsibility to make it happen for themselves.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:55 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates1234 View Post
I think Austin, like any place, is largely what you make of it. Of course, you want to choose a place that suits you to begin with, but, after that, I think it's entirely up to you to fit in and make it happen. I think we, myself included, are very child-like at times, complaining about how this or that place or situation doesn't suit them. I've learned that once I take my own responsibility to make it happen, whether person, place, or thing I'm involved with, things get much better. When I used to blame things or situations, it was just a cop out. You can make any place you live in a paradise, short of an abject ghetto, and maybe even there. Most people will spend their entire lives, even in old age, whining about external circumstances, which were really under their control the whole time, if they just took the effort and responsibility to make it happen for themselves.
Great post. I generally think it's easier to complain than to create.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,078 times
Thanks spreading truth. You are so correct in saying all that you have stated. I only wished I had read this from a cultured human being before moving here. Either way I am applying for jobs elsewhere as I have found Austin to be VERY OVERHYPED. Even if cost of living is a little cheaper than California and other places, it does not have enough to offer with diversity. Unless you are perhaps a 20 year old college student. Beware anyone moving here, Don't do it if you think life will be so much cheaper and people friendlier. It is absolute BS. They have great marketing though.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:42 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary111 View Post
Thanks spreading truth. You are so correct in saying all that you have stated. I only wished I had read this from a cultured human being before moving here. Either way I am applying for jobs elsewhere as I have found Austin to be VERY OVERHYPED. Even if cost of living is a little cheaper than California and other places, it does not have enough to offer with diversity. Unless you are perhaps a 20 year old college student. Beware anyone moving here, Don't do it if you think life will be so much cheaper and people friendlier. It is absolute BS. They have great marketing though.
Hmmm....I guess NOTHING's changed in the FOUR YEARS since this thread was active. Maybe I'm lucky to keep running into the FRIENDLY folks in Austin. We didn't move here for 'hype', although I believe there IS a conspiracy to keep the relentless 30mph winds a secret from outsiders!

Old 05-01-2011, 01:57 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary111 View Post
Zombie thread!!!

Let it die, sweetie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin