Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:48 PM

7 posts, read 11,686 times

Advertisements

We have a similar situation...the old bat did not want to share the cost in replacing the rotted fence...so we built it inside of our property line with the flat side facing our yard. Then it turns out that the "Road Runner" box is in her yard but it serves our house. It went down. RR showed up to request access to her yard. She said no...RR called the cops and they told her she could politely let them into the back yard or the cops would knock the fence down as RR has the right of way whether she likes it or not. She back down.
It's your property and your fence...build it. She can say no only when it comes to her property...we moved our fence in so there is a gap on her side so if her dog gets out it's her problem now and she cannot attach anything to our fence! Where there is a will there is a way. We are waiting to see what happens when the old battle axe kicks the bucket and she is close to it...do not let her dictate what you can do to your property. Tell her to go pound sand!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 07:01 PM

481 posts, read 2,417,076 times
Thank you. It makes me feel better that I'm not the only one.

I now have to deal with HOA. Apparently I need approval just to replace the existing fence. I thought that was weird. I'm going to let them know about my plans to build my own fence in front of the old fence and why. Not sure what they'll say. The paper work says it takes 2 - 4 weeks for approval which stinks because I have a dog and sections of fence are down.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:14 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
Thank you. It makes me feel better that I'm not the only one.

I now have to deal with HOA. Apparently I need approval just to replace the existing fence. I thought that was weird. I'm going to let them know about my plans to build my own fence in front of the old fence and why. Not sure what they'll say. The paper work says it takes 2 - 4 weeks for approval which stinks because I have a dog and sections of fence are down.
you can buy a roll of chain link from home depot for about $70 and just prop it up against the existing fence. Stake it down and it should keep your dog in.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:06 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
I now have to deal with HOA.
That is a bit odd, where do you live? Our HOA has a blanket approval for fences that basically meet the original construction (i.e. wood, 6 foot, natural or stain colored).

Old 03-10-2012, 08:17 AM

Cat Hollow which is managed by Alliance. I thought it was odd too.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:47 PM

997 posts, read 1,312,534 times
I'm in a similar situation and found this thread. Did your fence ever get installed, any new issues come up?

Old 06-11-2013, 11:29 AM

After contacting the HOA and explaining the situation, they suggested we put our new fence in front of the old fence that we share with the uncooperative neighbors. So the two fences are about a foot apart. I'm always afraid an animal will get stuck down there or lots of weeds growing but so far so good. You know how they say good fences make good neighbors, well 2 fences make great neighbors.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:14 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherofthree View Post
After contacting the HOA and explaining the situation, they suggested we put our new fence in front of the old fence that we share with the uncooperative neighbors. So the two fences are about a foot apart. I'm always afraid an animal will get stuck down there or lots of weeds growing but so far so good. You know how they say good fences make good neighbors, well 2 fences make great neighbors.
Our across the street neighbors could tell you all about critters getting stuck in the space between two solid privacy fences. Let's just say a kitty mom and her new litter/kindle can be really noisy

Pretty sure our HOA allows immediate repair of fences but does want to approve complete replacement. Power...donchaknow.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:12 AM

431 posts, read 474,590 times
our yard is fenced it was when we puchased it and the finished side is facing IN the homes behind and on both sides have had new owners since we bought ours, no mention has ever been made about the finished side facing in. it sits 3/4inches inside my property according to the survey so its mine .i can service it from inside .
we dont have a dog *just indoor cats * both side hiegbour and the one in back have dogs i prefer wild hedges .bushes etc to fences and have no intention of replacing the fence should it die
those with dogs have to keep the pet under control(the law ) so if a fence is to be replaced they will have to do it sorry ..

Old 02-10-2014, 07:43 AM

308 posts, read 600,536 times
The pain dealing with neighbors and stinks for the ones that have the bad apple next or behind them!!

I have to admit that it sucks you cannot choose your neighbors. As I feel most cases like the OP is due to the fact they have no income or don't care for maintenance being a home owner, so why even own a house, right?

In this case, I would have expected HOA to deal with this sour neighbor and make them either pay (their side of the cost) or they are allowed to put a lean on the home owners house and soon can evict them out! Sorry for the OP to deal with this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin