Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:29 AM

12 posts, read 20,071 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a house in Austin Hills Estates (right off Marley) which is zoned to Valley View Elementary 5 miles away. I have never seen a a scenario where the school is not physically in the area it is zoned to. I would love to hear from some of the parents who live in the are.

-Is is 'weird' to have a school so far away?
-How long by bus? How long to drive home if the kid stays for after school activities. Do many parents carpool?
-Does it take away from a sense of community?
-Do the kids hate it /or not even care?

Does anyone have any idea on how that zoning care around? is it due to growth further out?

I really appreciate any answers you have - this is a huge concern for me with a particular piece of real estate we are looking at. My kids are going ot be incoming 2nd and 5th graders - girls.

Thanks! Leah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,809,488 times
5 miles doesn't seem that far to me. I consider anything within 5 or 6 miles as 'nearby,' at least in a town where you're driving most everywhere already.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:30 AM

3,982 posts, read 6,692,397 times
I don't know the political or ISD factors but looking at the area you have large homes on large lots, plus you have "wasted space" in the form of multiple golf courses. Then add in undeveloped tracts of land between developed tracts and all this low density sprawl makes for most amenities being at least 5 or 6 miles away. I also don't think Lakeway has much in the way of apartments either, forcing everyone to have front and back yards just adds to the swaths of land that must be driven past every day. Buy hey gasoline is cheap as a percentage of household income compared to your average family in the developing world so people will buy into it.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:05 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,438,169 times
Interesting...contrast that with the situation in Avery Ranch---where the new elementary school being built on AR Blvd. can be seen from the 'front porch' of the Patsy Sommer ES built just three years ago . Of course, there is some move afoot to send the MS kids 'around the corner and up your block' to a new MS pretty far away. Ah, growth...ain't it grand!

Old 03-16-2012, 12:31 PM

361 posts, read 1,158,489 times
Always rumors of a new school going up closer and converting Valley View to admin but hasn't happened yet. I know people with kids at valley view and they love it.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:34 PM

12 posts, read 20,071 times
Thanks GreenPlastic that's positive - do you know if their kids take the bus? It just seems like all the other schools are in the actual geographical boundaries of the 'hoods they are zoned to

Old 03-16-2012, 01:06 PM

499 posts, read 1,300,123 times
Yeah, EISD owns property off River Hills, but I think the new school idea was voted down last year. Probably would be built too late to affect your kiddos anyway.

On the plus side, all of Cuernavaca and your neighborhood goes to Valley View (Marly is pretty much the eastern edge of the Valley View boundary!) So it's not like you'll be alone as long-distance commuters, if that's any consolation

Old 03-16-2012, 01:17 PM

13,715 posts, read 30,993,781 times
Eanes tried to replace and relocate Valley View Elementary as part of a 2010 bond election. I don't think voters bought into the idea of replacing a perfectly good campus simply to put another elementary school in a more popular location. All three bonds in that election were defeated. Eanes held another election in the next cycle without the school replacement.

Eanes school bonds fail

Old 12-27-2012, 12:54 PM

64 posts, read 130,683 times
I have often wondered about vally view being so far from your neighborhood. Though Vally View is not the only elementary in Eanes like that. Right behind Vally View Elementary is Forest Trail Elementary. Forest Trail Elementary is mostly for the area called lost creek which is found on the other side of 360 (Capital of Texas Highway). Both serve kids far away from their school, though Vally View much further away from the other. I would imagine it would take a while to get there but the thing about Eanes ISD, unless you are zoned to Cedar Creek elementary walking to any elemetnary school is virtually impossible because of the hills. Bridge Point and Barton Creek may have a very select amount of kids able to walk but no one else would be able to, so unlike in Central Austin elementary schools you would not be looked down on for not walking with your kid to school. Vally View is way out of the way by a lot and though it may be 5 miles the way the bird flys, the way your car goes will be closer to 8 I assume, though never looked up exactly.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:59 PM

64 posts, read 130,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Interesting...contrast that with the situation in Avery Ranch---where the new elementary school being built on AR Blvd. can be seen from the 'front porch' of the Patsy Sommer ES built just three years ago . Of course, there is some move afoot to send the MS kids 'around the corner and up your block' to a new MS pretty far away. Ah, growth...ain't it grand!
You may say that is odd for those two elementary schools to be close but Vally View elementary and Forest Trail elementary share a drive way in eanes isd. The only thing that separates them is a chain linked fence. Much more bizarre. And even weirder is that there is a middle school a couple blocks from both of those schools that neither school is zoned to, but instead a school much further west. Doss Elementary and Hill Elementary in Austin ISD are only a mile apart on the same road and Laurel Mountain Elemntary and North Oaks Elementary in Round Rock ISD are also only blocks away from each other. It is not uncommon or unheard of except for Eanes Scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin