Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 04:16 PM

334 posts, read 916,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Actually, Cedar Park was an entity unto itself and had its first post office in 1874. Much as Round Rock did, starting in 1854.

It behooves us not to think of these as "bedroom communities" just because people move out there to get out of Austin proper. It's disrespectful, among other things.
But by definition a bedroom community is a place that is for the most part residential, and where most of the population commutes elsewhere for work. That may not have described Cedar Park in 1874, but it does now. I'm not sure why that should be insulting.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:37 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,427,996 times
Because it describes a community that has been a community in its own right (and still is) solely based on its relationship to another city, as if all of that history simply doesn't count because the other city has grown out to meet its boundaries. I did not say insulting, by the way, I said disrespectful, which is not quite the same thing. Cedar Park, Round Rock, Pflugerville, Hutto, Buda, and so forth and so on, are not suburbs of Austin. They existed on their own for well over a century, some a century and a half; that Austin is getting so large should not in any way change the perception of them into being somehow "hangers on" of Austin proper just because there are new folks in town who don't know anything yet about where they live.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:35 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,358,198 times
Bear in mind that out here in the suburbs, new & recently built tract homes have pretty small lots.
My 2,000 sq.ft. home sits on a 6,600 sq.ft. (60'X110'), which is fairly typical. It might sell for $190-$210k (but we aren't moving - we like it here too much)

But it does snow here once every few years:

Old 03-29-2012, 05:41 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,741,310 times
Quote:
Because it describes a community that has been a community in its own right (and still is) solely based on its relationship to another city, as if all of that history simply doesn't count because the other city has grown out to meet its boundaries. I did not say insulting, by the way, I said disrespectful, which is not quite the same thing. Cedar Park, Round Rock, Pflugerville, Hutto, Buda, and so forth and so on, are not suburbs of Austin. They existed on their own for well over a century, some a century and a half; that Austin is getting so large should not in any way change the perception of them into being somehow "hangers on" of Austin proper just because there are new folks in town who don't know anything yet about where they live.
The difference is 100 years ago those small towns were inhabited by farmers that worked the land and did not commute into Austin on a daily basis, hence the term bedroom community is appropriate today. Maybe if these communities concentrated more on job creation instead of expanding feeder roads into Austin they could rightfully escape that designation.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:48 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,418,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie425 View Post
Thanks Texas Lady! So, it seems that it's not a fairy-tale, huh? It's all true. Wow!
How's the job market down there?

Round Rock VS. Pfluegerville? Thoughts?

Real estate agents have told me to stay away from areas East of I35. Why?
More blacks and Mexicans over there, poorer quality schools. There---I've said it, we all have a right to make choices!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:55 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,427,996 times
So, are the communities expanding feeder roads into Austin, or is Austin/the State expanding feeder roads out to them to fuel more growth for more people to feed Austin?

I believe Round Rock has more than a little industry (including Dell), and others of the communities have businesses choosing to locate there rather than Austin. So they're doing exactly what you say they should be doing - creating jobs.

I find it interesting that there are people who are clinging to the idea that these towns are somehow simply appurtenances to Austin. Wonder why that might be?

Old 03-29-2012, 07:14 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,358,198 times
Quote:
So, are the communities expanding feeder roads into Austin, or is Austin/the State expanding feeder roads out to them to fuel more growth for more people to feed Austin?

I believe Round Rock has more than a little industry (including Dell), and others of the communities have businesses choosing to locate there rather than Austin. So they're doing exactly what you say they should be doing - creating jobs.

I find it interesting that there are people who are clinging to the idea that these towns are somehow simply appurtenances to Austin. Wonder why that might be?
Not to mention all the new hospitals with their attendant support businesses & college branches opening up on the north side of Round Rock.

Magpie425's husband might try looking into the business side of those kinds of institutions, as they are expanding quite a bit. But again, there is a LOT of competition for those types of jobs.

New openings for Language arts teachers are as scarce as Clara Cluck's teeth, unless you look in a small rural district way out from the urban areas.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:24 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,706,405 times
I was going to mention the same things THL and ScoPro just did. There actually are employers out this way, with Round Rock seriously trying to draw lots of medical professions and biotech. Hutto wants to draw biotech as well, since it shares a border with that side of RR. I think they are planning an eventual "medical center" type corridor, as I've read it.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:17 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,538,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie425 View Post
No, I've never been further than Iowa, I'm embarrassed to say.
I preferred the weather in TX to the weather in Iowa. Lived in Iowa 22 years and TX for almost 12.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:40 PM

334 posts, read 916,017 times
Quote:
But the city's own history site refers to its past a being of a "small bedroom community." Even when it was a small farming town, where do suppose they sent their produce to market? It's always been in Austin's sphere of influence, and there's no disrespect in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin