Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:38 AM

6 posts, read 9,014 times

Advertisements

Okay, I mean, I obviously know what it means in terms of direction, but what neighborhoods are those? Do they have specific names? Are they "good" neighborhoods? I am getting ready to move down to Austin to reunite with my boyfriend who has been living there for the past 8 months. He's currently on the East side and while he doesn't hate his neighborhood, he'd like to try somewhere else. We're in our mid-20s and are young professionals more on the "artsy" side of things (but who isn't in Austin?). He works right downtown and I am in the process of finding a job, but am much less particular about a commute. I was just curious about this area and it's specific neighborhoods/what to expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 10:13 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
"south of east Cesar Chavez" would basically be the lake!! Find out if they mean south of the river/Lake Ladybird. There is a bunch of new development just south of the lake there -- most of it still under construction. It might be a "good" neighborhood someday but it would be a stretch to call it that now. Basically, a working class, predominately Latino area that is gentrifying. (It is certainly NOT a shooting gallery or anything, overall, violent crime rates in Austin are low).

Old 03-31-2012, 10:32 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
East of I-35, the "south of east Cesar Chavez" neighborhood is a small, traditionally Hispanic area... only about a dozen blocks by a half dozen... that is now being "re-gentrified" by artists and hipsters because the small, old houses there are relatively affordable and very handy to downtown.

Looking at my map of last fall's E.A.S.T. art studio tour I see maybe a dozen exhibitors listed for that area.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:29 PM

6 posts, read 9,014 times
Awesome, thanks guys! I was going to try to do a little more research from my end but it's difficult to look for apartments/housing with a neighborhood name or something, so I was curious. I'll be down there in a week and a half so I'll be able to get more of a feel for it.

Old 03-31-2012, 01:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
East Cesar Chavez Street, Austin, TX - Google Maps

That is the area between E. Cesar Chavez St. and Ladybird Lake. Many consider it a desirable place to live considering its close proximity to downtown. You could easily bicycle to work anyplace in the downtown area if you wanted to.

These map based websites can be helpful in finding an apartment. You can set filters for price and size, etc.

http://www.padmapper.com/

http://everythingaustinapartments.com/

Old 03-31-2012, 01:59 PM

404 posts, read 712,066 times
I would think it means the Riverside/Pleasant Valley area, and south of the river.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:07 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredding_Gnar78 View Post
I would think it means the Riverside/Pleasant Valley area, and south of the river.
No, that's a different area. Close, but different. East Cesar Chavez is North of the river/lake, and Pleasant Valley is at the east end. Just look at the map and it becomes clear.

Last edited by OpenD; 03-31-2012 at 02:26 PM..

Old 03-31-2012, 02:53 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgeese View Post
Awesome, thanks guys! I was going to try to do a little more research from my end but it's difficult to look for apartments/housing with a neighborhood name or something, so I was curious. I'll be down there in a week and a half so I'll be able to get more of a feel for it.
You can look at the area in East Cesar Chavez Street, Austin, TX - Google Maps Street view to see what it looks like, move up and own the streets and swivel the camera around, even zoom in on features.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:29 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,545,822 times
Just did a bike ride through there this morning. Started at Mellow Johnny's and went out to McKinney Falls Park(crossing the river/lake on Pleasant Valley). A somewhat funky area, some homes and yards maintained better than others. Pretty skinny streets when folks are parked on both sides...speed humps to slow down the through traffic. Parks and green spaces abound all along the lake...the VegFest(or something like that) was being held today...quite a crowd. As you slide just west of IH-35, you have G'Raj Mahal restaurant and a number of former residences that are now commercial...studios, restaurants, gallery type businesses. Makes for interesting traffic through there. Not totally easy to go south out of that neighborhood(that pesky river thing and all) but you're darned near within walking(certainly biking) distance of a whole bunch of 'Austin'.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:04 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
It might be a "good" neighborhood someday but it would be a stretch to call it that now. Basically, a working class, predominately Latino area that is gentrifying. (It is certainly NOT a shooting gallery or anything, overall, violent crime rates in Austin are low).
Hold up. What do you mean when you say that? What I think is even more noticable are the other posters that did not bat an eye when you said it. You need to know that there are hispanics and blacks who post on this forum and rationales like the one you posted are insulting and an example of "unconscious" racism.

Whether you realize it or not, you are equating "good" and "bad" neighborhoods based on its ratio of whites as the majority. (You would never say that to a person of color. Wouldn't even cross your mind.) That's not a true comparison, and never has been.

It's got to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin