Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:24 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times

Advertisements

From Texas-on-line:
Quote:
GUN LAWS FOR TEXAS

Handgun ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required

Rifle and Shotgun ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required

Semi-automatic "assault weapon" ownership: unrestricted, no permit or license required

Machine Gun Ownership: no state restrictions, compliance with federal law only

Firearm law uniformity: preemption statute, firearm laws uniform throughout state

Concealed carry: licenses granted on a "shall issue" basis; reciprocity available for nonresidents with carry permits from certain other states

Vehicle carry and transportation: unlicensed individuals and non-residents may not carry handguns on or about their persons while in a vehicle loaded rifles and shotguns may be carried in plain view or in a case

Texas, like much of the Southwest, has adjusted its frontier laws to properly fit the demands of a modern society. Travelers should be aware of how these laws affect their ability to carry firearms while trekking through the Lone Star state.

Carry of handguns "on or about one's person" on foot or in a vehicle is explicitly prohibited by statute. "On or about one's person" has been defined by the Texas courts to include any handgun within arm's reach of an individual whether concealed or open. Under one's seat, on the dash, in the glove compartment or even in the backseat are spatial positions which have been held to be "on or about one's person." Texas law, however, exempts individuals who are carrying handguns for self-protection while traveling across Texas on a "bonafide" journey or engaged in a lawfully related firearm activity such as hunting or target shooting. Although police should not arrest an individual who falls within these exemptions, any doubt as to a person's true intentions could result in a delay or an overnight jail stay. Travelers unable to maintain their classification as "bonafide travelers" should carry their handgun unloaded and cased in the trunk. Texas law contains no prohibition on the transport of loaded rifles and shotguns in vehicles. Such firearms may be carried in plain view anywhere in the vehicle or secured in a commercial gun case or gun rack.

Texas' concealed carry law allows for the concealed carry of a handgun on onels person and in one's vehicle by properly licensed individuals. The Texas Department of Public Safety may negotiate reciprocity agreements with other states for the recognition of their citizens' carry permits. This reciprocity is conditioned upon formal agreements and may be subject to periodic revision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 10:34 PM

118 posts, read 296,206 times
Hey That is some awesome info..Thank you!

Old 09-28-2007, 09:06 AM

414 posts, read 1,505,630 times
Dont understand the whole conceled handgun thing myself. I think of many senarios in which you could effectively use your pistol in a reasonably valid circumstance. I cannot think of many good. your driving down the street and someone cuts you off? you are getting carjacked and have a shoot out? you plan on vigilante style rescues? too many Clint Eastwood movies. high powered rifles for hunting? not too sportsman like if you ask me. Bow and Arrows, Shot Guns are one thing but picking off an animal with a high powered rifle through a scope is easy and not real challenging.
I'm moving out west and suppose I'm in for a real eye opener when i get there.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:28 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
The concealed handgun law in Texas was spearheaded by a lady that my parents were acquaintances with, although the story is fairly well known:

This lady (a lawyer) was having lunch with her parents in Killeen (at a Luby's, if I remember correctly). She carried a gun in her car for self defense (I supose in case she broke down somewhere remote?), but, since there were no concealed handgun laws, she could not carry it on her person during lunch, etc. so she left it in the car.

A man crashed into Luby's in his truck and proceeded to gun down quite a few people, including this lady's parents. I think, actually, the mom and lady got out, but the dad had been shot and the mom got killed going back for him.

Anyway, she claimed that, as a person trained in shooting (she apparently was quite proficient with the gun) she could easily have gunned the guy down and saved many lives.

I guess that would be an example of some use for a concealed handgun permit. Anyway, I don't think I personally know anyone who has a license, so it is not like everyone is whipping out their guns on the highway. I would wager that most handgun incidents involve an unlicensed individual anyway, so I am not sure that the handgun law really has any effect that you would notice.

Edit: Luby's massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 09-28-2007 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: edit: wiki link

Old 09-28-2007, 10:47 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I remember that. It was such a sad thing. I'll tell you an instance it came in handy for me. At the time, I was dating a guy who had turned into a crazy nutball stalker on drugs, and one morning, after an all night toot, he came to my apartment and started banging on the door. I wouldn't let him in, so he pushed the door in and sat on my couch and I couldn't make him leave. My friend, who carries a concealed handgun, lived downstairs and heard all the ruckus. Needless to say, the threat of her actually using it on him was enough to run him off. For a few days he called and threatened to end both of our lives, but my friend told him he'd have to get past her first. Thankfully, he just disappeared into the ether. But Trainwrecked is right, people aren't going around having shooting free for alls. That's a complete misconception.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:01 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I'll tell you an instance it came in handy for me. At the time, I was dating a guy who had turned into a crazy nutball stalker on drugs, and one morning, after an all night toot, he came to my apartment and started banging on the door. I wouldn't let him in, so he pushed the door in and sat on my couch and I couldn't make him leave. My friend, who carries a concealed handgun, lived downstairs and heard all the ruckus. Needless to say, the threat of her actually using it on him was enough to run him off. For a few days he called and threatened to end both of our lives, but my friend told him he'd have to get past her first. Thankfully, he just disappeared into the ether.
Wow...interesting story.
Did the stalker know your roommate had the gun, and that was enough to scare him off? Or did the gun come out before he got scared?

Old 09-28-2007, 11:11 AM

No, he didn't know she had it, but he also knew her, and knew she wouldn't be afraid to use it if she had to. Thank Goodness

Old 09-28-2007, 07:23 PM

2 posts, read 18,300 times
Concealed Hand Gun License

Old 09-30-2007, 01:21 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
So... out of curiosity, if I bought a handgun... how would I transport it home? Or, say I want to take it to a gun range. Would I put it in the trunk of my car? Or is that "concealing" it? Could I be arrested for that?

Old 09-30-2007, 09:41 AM

It has to be in a case in the trunk. At least, by what it says it the first post on this page. If you get pulled over, you have to say you have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin