Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:39 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Why do people anywhere and everywhere overate anything that comes from here in California? Austin already has great burger joints and doesn't need another one. Nothing wrong with the idea of having in-n-out in Austin Metro Area, nothing wrong with being a fan of it either. It's just simply not news. Burgers are decent, not bad at all, but not as good as being religiously all over it. That's when it starts getting annoying.
Migo nailed it.

Much ado about very little.

BTW - The I&O shakes I've had were the worst ever - nothing but foamy air.

Whataburger shakes kick butt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 07:46 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

I agree that In-N-Out shakes are nothing special. They're always too thick so you have to wait for them to melt a bit.

I've had Whatburger shakes, but they didn't blow me away. I'll have to give them another shot. I know that it's not real ice cream, but Chick-fil-A shakes are hard to resist especially since they now make them in a smaller size. If I'm going to get just a shake through a drive-through without any food and it's not Sunday then Chick-fil-A always wins for me currently. I try to limit those trips to once every 8 to 10 weeks.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:08 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I agree that In-N-Out shakes are nothing special. They're always too thick so you have to wait for them to melt a bit.

I've had Whatburger shakes, but they didn't blow me away. I'll have to give them another shot. I know that it's not real ice cream, but Chick-fil-A shakes are hard to resist especially since they now make them in a smaller size. If I'm going to get just a shake through a drive-through without any food and it's not Sunday then Chick-fil-A always wins for me currently. I try to limit those trips to once every 8 to 10 weeks.
I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I love their chocolate shakes, not sure what kind of syrup they use but it's just the right amount of chocolate every time. Whataburgers chocolate malts have ranged from fabulous to horrible based on who is making them. Sometimes Whataburger employees put too much syrup in them and they are sickeningly sweet.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I love their chocolate shakes, not sure what kind of syrup they use but it's just the right amount of chocolate every time. Whataburgers chocolate malts have ranged from fabulous to horrible based on who is making them. Sometimes Whataburger employees put too much syrup in them and they are sickeningly sweet.
I can definitely see that. It doesn't surprise me that In-N-Out's shakes would be more consistent as they do pay their employees a little more so they normally have more attentive workers. I definitely can't go around to try all the shakes that I want anymore like I did as a 17 year old so I try to be a bit more selective.

I do agree that the taste of the In-N-Out shake was always good, but the thick consistency was more annoying than anything else because you're trying to drink the shake, but it's too thick to suck through the straw. You could wait for it to melt a bit, but if you only purchased a shake without food, you want to drink that shake immediately. So you end up popping off the lid and stirring it up with the straw while sitting in your car and of course chocolate shake then drips out over your clothes and over the sides of the cup and it's a big mess. Plus, you don't have any napkins in your glove compartment and you forgot to ask for them at the drive through because after all, it's just a shake, why would you need napkins?

So you're left with a sticky chocolate shake cup that you're trying to finish while transferring the chocolate shake that has dripped all over your hands to your steering wheel and you get the rest. I'll stick to Chick-fil-A shakes for now until I determine that In-N-Out makes their shakes with a consistency thin enough to actually drink immediately.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:34 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Well, burger joints are like BBQ joints....it's all a matter of one's preference & personal tastes.

There really are very few bad burgers out there.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:56 AM
hlk

24 posts, read 42,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
IMO, In-n-Out is fresher and much more unique in taste than P. Terry's regular burger which seems bland, and InO is much better than Mighty Fine.

After hearing all the crazy hype here about P. Terry's, we were underwhelmed... nothing really original about their patty, sauce or toppings, very decent but just unoriginal taste-wise. I do like their chicken burger though. Also, the buns are not great; InO makes their own and P.Terry's does not (Mrs. Baird's).
Agreed. I like that P. Terry's has chicken and vegetarian patties, in addition to beef, but in spite of being a direct, unabashed rip-off of In-N-Out, their regular burger is much blander, and their bread is just AWFUL. In-N-Out's buns are spongy and fresh; P. Terry's buns taste stale, gummy, and gross.

Regarding lines, there are a zillion In-N-Outs in the west, and the lines still get pretty long at mealtimes.

I understand the frustration with the chain invasion. I also really like In-N-Out. Life is so complicated!

Old 06-29-2012, 10:18 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Is In-N-Out Burger coming to Central Texas? It looks like all of this joy might be a bit premature. It MAY be coming to Round Rock. The corporate offices say they don't have it on their list of new openings and it looks like they need a zoning variance from the city of Round Rock still. That can take a lot of time.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:18 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Migo nailed it.

Much ado about very little.

come on give some love to the sweet tea in whataburger. now that's something i'll cry over not having any good sweet tea here in cali.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:22 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
(still don't get the fascination with Mighty Fine, but apparently a lot of people like it).
the fascination still isn't as disproportioned and unnecessary as it is for in-n-out, but i kinda agree with you. i personally like five guys better than all three mentioned. but i wouldn't make a big heap about it and can understand if people wouldn't like it.

but yes, since we're comparing just fast food joints, i still don't think that in-n-out is such a big deal to drive all the way to round rock for it. i mean, it's just fast food. if i had the option of having p.terry's and in-n-out right around the corner, i'd probably go with p. terry's. and it would certainly depend on what i felt like eating. but since in-n-out would be all the way out in round rock and i'd live in austin, no doubt about it i'm just gonna take a quick little stroll and grab a bite at p. terry's. it's really not that big of a deal.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
but yes, since we're comparing just fast food joints, i still don't think that in-n-out is such a big deal to drive all the way to round rock for it. i mean, it's just fast food. if i had the option of having p.terry's and in-n-out right around the corner, i'd probably go with p. terry's. and it would certainly depend on what i felt like eating. but since in-n-out would be all the way out in round rock and i'd live in austin, no doubt about it i'm just gonna take a quick little stroll and grab a bite at p. terry's. it's really not that big of a deal.
That's understandable. Once the first In-N-Out goes in, they will expand throughout Austin like they've done in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. They went from having none in TX just a few years ago to having 15 in North Texas now.

I'm actually the opposite in that I live about 3 miles from the proposed Round Rock In-N-Out site. There really isn't a close P. Terry's to me. My nearby choices for fast food burgers are all the places mentioned above not including P. Terry's so adding In-N-Out to the mix will be a welcome addition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin