Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:39 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,591,634 times

Advertisements

All of this talk of pre-paying an entire lease up front sounds very risky to me.

I actually did the opposite of what most people are stating when I moved here (granted this was in 2006). Both my wife and I were leaving our current jobs in CA to come to Austin without jobs. We did have excellent credit, so that is one difference compared to "looking2tex". Also, I could see this as being a problem if you were renting a home from an individual landlord and not a corporation.

We just went to one of the larger corporate apartment complexes and they didn't have a problem renting to us without jobs. We just put "looking for work" in the employment section. They did ask for copies of our income from our previous year tax return, and did a credit check, but other than that it seemed like a pretty normal process. This was with one of the mega "Gables" complexes in North Austin.

I would call one of those mega complexes, be honest about your situation, and see what they say. You'll be talking to a salesperson for the apartment complex who gets commission for filling their empty units. And contrary to the talk about rental occupancy being at an all time high, you can easily bring up multiple mega apartment complexes in the Austin area that have 15 or more vacant units. When a complex has hundreds of units, they always have vacancies.

The bottom line here is to pick up the phone and call a reputable mega complex and talk to a salesperson there. They will be able to tell you what they're not allowed to post on-line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 12:45 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,918,310 times
I agree with sbjanda but just a word of caution - if you do go with a small place that will rent to anyone without checking credit, job, etc. just be careful to read any fine print and know your rights. Make sure you aren't renting from a slumlord. I have a friend who does poverty law/landlord tenant law and she said you wouldn't beleive all the people who lose a LOT because of mistakes made when renting - like getting behind in rent, having some infraction that allows the LL to kick you out, not understanding when you can withhold rent because of repairs, etc. Maybe she's biased, but she said the law is stacked in favor of landlords and owners.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:26 PM

14 posts, read 34,991 times
I moved here with no job, 10k in the bank. The apt rented to us with the bank statement. Plus I had crappy credit.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:04 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,043,663 times
Occupancy rates in Austin have increased dramatically in the past year or so. Renting a place here is much harder than it used to be and rents are continuing to skyrocket. The only suggestion I have is that you pre-pay some months. However, my brother is having a hard time finding a place to rent to him without a job and even pre-paying.

Good luck, you'll need it.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 AM

77 posts, read 202,633 times
Take it from some one who just went through this in the last 90 days, it difficult to do ....BUT...not impossible by any means.
My wife and I moved here for school and did not have jobs but really had no big hassle finding a place.
Try the Camden properties.....
They are located in varius locations through out Austin and range from average to high ($670- 1400) in rent.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:26 AM

8 posts, read 14,478 times
RomeandJill, thank you so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin