Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:52 PM

944 posts, read 3,064,196 times

Advertisements

I currently live in San Antonio, but am looking for a new home city. I moved to San Antonio from California some time ago, but have been very unhappy with the culture and way of living in SA. I moved for the cheaper cost of living, and because I thought that a city the size of SA would offer more than it has. As I seek another city with a warm climate, I thought I would ask if Austin might be a better fit for me (I'm also seeking possibilities outside of Texas.) About me: I'm a university instructor, female, white, single/divorced and a little older. I'm seeking the possibility of having a group of professional friends and dating partners. I need to be around educated people. These factors have lacked in SA for me (and many other single female colleagues who have already left SA). When I go out to social events in SA, they are dominated by very large Hispanic families, and while there's nothing wrong with these families, that's all there seems to be, and I really have nothing at all in common with this down-homeness.

I guess my question is, would Austin be a step up, or just more of the same? What would be better there, if anything. I don't have or want kids. So I don't care about schools. I don't care about church either. I don't like cowboy hats or many of the social attitudes that reside in the heads that they rest on. Is there a niche somewhere in this state for me?

Old 10-01-2007, 11:07 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,015,743 times
Austin's quite close to SA and might not have all that you're seeking. Have you considered DFW? It's more diverse and cosmopolitan, I think.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:04 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,887,517 times
Everything after the "About Me" segment of your message indicates Austin would be absolutely perfect for you. Not saying another place might be better, but you should give it a try ... SA is totally not the place for a single/older person. Austin is. Give it a try while there is still an Austin to enjoy..

Old 10-02-2007, 05:08 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,055,218 times
I live in San Antonio and have lived in Austin. I think Austin alternative and hippy lifestyle would suit you better. The two cities are so close that me and the lady party and socialize with people from Austin to the SA city limits. Try Craiglists for both cities,
For instance we meet and go to Wimberley market first Sat of every month. There must be some website call meetup that can help you in the Austin/ San Antonio area

Old 10-02-2007, 05:38 AM

592 posts, read 2,025,576 times
try houston or dallas swf

Old 10-02-2007, 05:46 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,655,378 times
Since I have lived in both and "know" how you think Hello I would have to say that I don't think Austin would be a fit for you. I think you might feel the same way here that you do in SA and not be happy at all. DFW might make a better fit for you,even Houston although you might not like the humidity as much.

Good luck

Old 10-02-2007, 06:43 AM

36 posts, read 158,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Everything after the "About Me" segment of your message indicates Austin would be absolutely perfect for you. Not saying another place might be better, but you should give it a try ... SA is totally not the place for a single/older person. Austin is. Give it a try while there is still an Austin to enjoy..
Just curious - what do you feel makes Austin a good place for an older/single person.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:28 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
Sounds like Houston (but it is humid) or Dallas (but it does get colder there) is a better fit. Austin is relatively small, so the cultural scene is limited relative to either of those two.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:00 AM

112 posts, read 485,150 times
Austin would be much better for you! Period. Perfect, no, but much, much better! The fact is the population of Austin is way more educated than that of SA- which is something you said you would like. Every weekend there is some event going on in Austin and the majority of the people at the events are single- not just large cheesy families.
People from California are moving to Austin by the thousands because the cost of living is better and it is very similar to San Diego- the feel, the laid back attitude, the high paying jobs, etc. I have never and I am sure I will never hear anyone say "San Antonio reminds me alot of______" ,well maybe they would say it reminds them of Tijuna- lots of fun to visit but forget living there!!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:07 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,151,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I currently live in San Antonio, but am looking for a new home city. I moved to San Antonio from California some time ago, but have been very unhappy with the culture and way of living in SA. I moved for the cheaper cost of living, and because I thought that a city the size of SA would offer more than it has. As I seek another city with a warm climate, I thought I would ask if Austin might be a better fit for me (I'm also seeking possibilities outside of Texas.) About me: I'm a university instructor, female, white, single/divorced and a little older. I'm seeking the possibility of having a group of professional friends and dating partners. I need to be around educated people. These factors have lacked in SA for me (and many other single female colleagues who have already left SA). When I go out to social events in SA, they are dominated by very large Hispanic families, and while there's nothing wrong with these families, that's all there seems to be, and I really have nothing at all in common with this down-homeness.

I guess my question is, would Austin be a step up, or just more of the same? What would be better there, if anything. I don't have or want kids. So I don't care about schools. I don't care about church either. I don't like cowboy hats or many of the social attitudes that reside in the heads that they rest on. Is there a niche somewhere in this state for me?
If you're a "little older" you may find Dallas is a better fit. Austin is a very youth-oriented city and it seems to me that most of the things to do are oriented at people in their 20s and early 30s.

Come check out Dallas...who knows, you may love it. Come for the weekend. Maybe we Dallas natives ought to have a monthly 'Dallas orientation' where people visit the city and we take them around and show them the cool stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin