Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 04:58 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
There isn't another music festival of the proposed duration in a public park anywhere else in the country for a reason. At some point, we need to stop being pimps with Zilker Park.

That there isn't another music festival such as ACL anywhere else in the country is NOT an argument against ACL - it's an argument FOR Austin.

Austin is special because we make choices that make it special. There are a 100K communities out there that are cookie cutter - and one Austin. How many cities would have laid concrete and chlorine to Barton Springs Pool and allowed a 100 golf courses over the aquifer? All of them? Let's not try to emulate what everyone else is doing. Let's forge our own way.

That being said - I'm not for doing something for the sake of being different. But the benefits to this City, in terms of revenues, exposure, enhanced QOL and great and the downside, a little more congestion now and then, are easily absorbable. Austin has every potential to be a world class city and the only thing stopping us is our fear of change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 05:33 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Gone View Post
How will anyone know which weekend to attend if the bands are not announced sooner? Much more risk in my opinion.
Michael Corcoran just tweeted:

"It's going to be the same lineup both weekends of ACL Fest next year. That'll be great for Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, OKC concert scenes"

We're not cheap, just easy.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:22 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
"It's going to be the same lineup both weekends of ACL Fest next year.
If that's true... and I don't see how it could be... that WOULD mean an entire week of Totally Insane parties in between.

I wonder if I could arrange for a whole-body transplant before then?

Old 08-18-2012, 06:39 PM

27 posts, read 75,488 times
Actually Coachella was 2 weekends this year. I was curious as to how that worked, so I checked out the lineups and indeed, they had the same line-up both weekends. Very interesting.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:33 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,006 times
Beach Boys were terrible even back in the 1980s. Worst show I've ever been to (out of hundreds).

As far as ACL/SXSW, if you want to live central just move north of the university. Hardly has any effect up here.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:25 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Beach Boys were terrible even back in the 1980s. Worst show I've ever been to (out of hundreds)...
Were you drunk? If not, that's why they sucked.

I saw ZZ Top in 1982 in Corpus Christi when I was 20. Because of a logistical/communication snafu, my friend and I endured the entire concert unaided by inebriates or herbs. We stood stony-faced and sober throughout the entire concert, totally bummed out. When we left I said "that sucked", and my friend concurred. Worst concert we'd ever seen.

Steve

Old 08-21-2012, 07:59 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpurcell View Post
Beach Boys were terrible even back in the 1980s. Worst show I've ever been to (out of hundreds).
I also saw them in the early '80s, before Dennis' death, and I agree they sucked. Brian was catatonic, and soon after that retreated into his sand box - literally. Not quite the equal of when I saw them for the first time in the summer of '63. That is agreed to be the best lineup they ever had - the Wilson brothers, Mike Love, Al Jardine AND David Marks (who left that fall - he was only fourteen!). Marks' effect on the was huge. Before him, they were the Four Freshmen. He brought the guitar licks that make songs like 409 and Surfin' Safari sound like metal vice the early stuff.

That all said, I heard them on a three hour interview/in studio concert on Sirius in June, with their main groupie, John Stamos. They were amazing. Harmonies all spot on. Voices, especially Mike Love's haven't lost a note (compared to others, like Sir Paul, cough, cough). I had always heard that the reason Brian could write the songs that no one else could write, was that he had voices to work with that no one else had. David Marks has rejoined, and even with Dennis and Carl gone, they may be better than ever.

Anyway, the original point wasn't to lobby for the Beach Boys at ACL - it was to point out that Bonaroo can have a headliner that is two standard deviations off their norm, while ACL can't get out of the indie/metal/alt/hip hop rut to save their lives.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:05 PM

160 posts, read 365,753 times
The economic impact of this second weekend will be great for Austin. Maybe not as big as SXSW or F1... but at least C3/ACL is not asking for a 25 million dollar subsidy to bring this event to Austin every year.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
... while ACL can't get out of the indie/metal/alt/hip hop rut to save their lives.
You know, I guess I'm confused. I just can't seem to fit all these acts from this year's lineup into your little 4 part matrix. For each of the following acts, would you please be so kind as to indicate whether it is indie, metal, alt, or hip hop? That would be very helpful to me in planning my weekend so I don't have to waste my time on any of that kind of music I don't like. You know the one.

Red Hot Chili Peppers •Neil Young and Crazy Horse •The Black Keys •Jack White •Florence + The Machine •The Avett Brothers •Iggy & The Stooges •AVICII •BASSNECTAR •The Roots •The Shins •Weezer •Gotye •The Civil Wars •M83 •Tegan and Sara •Childish Gambino •Two Door Cinema Club •Thievery Corporation •The Afghan Whigs •Crystal Castles •Andrew Bird •Gary Clark Jr. Metric •The Weeknd •Band of Skulls •Esperanza Spalding •Alabama Shakes •Delta Spirit •M. Ward •Randy Rogers Band •Die Antwoord •Rufus Wainwright •NEEDTOBREATHE •Big Gigantic • Antibalas •Steve Earle •The War On Drugs •Umphrey's McGee •Kimbra •Barrington Levy •Old 97's •Punch Brothers •Bombay Bicycle Club •A-Trak •Trampled by Turtles •Patterson Hood •Michael Kiwanuka •Big K.R.I.T. •Oberhofer •POLICA •Tennis •Zola Jesus •Stars •Black Lips •Los Campesinos! • Jovanotti •Ben Howard •Ruthie Foster •Freelance Whales •Civil Twilight •The Whigs •Dev •The Lumineers •Bad Books • The Devil Makes Three •Asleep at the Wheel •First Aid Kit •Patrick Watson •LP •Caveman •Lee Fields & The Expressions • Father John Misty •The Wombats •Dry the River • The Boxer Rebellion •The Soul Rebels •Thundercat Gardens & Villa •Willis Earl Beal • He's My Brother, She's My Sister •Kishi Bashi •Lance Herbstrong • The Features •The Deep Dark Woods •Moon Duo •Alt-J • Kopecky Family Band •River City Extension •Quiet Corral• Wheeler Brothers •The Relatives •Space Capone •Native Run • Nikki Lane •Quiet Company •Infantree •Wild Child • La Vida Bohème •The Eastern Sea •The Dunwells •Kenny Vaughan Trio •Justin Jones •Sonámbulo •Royal Teeth • Noah Gundersen •The Aaron Ivey Band •The Mighty Sincere Voices •G.S.T. •Colorfeels •Lera Lynn • Megan McCormick •Shields of Faith •Stapletones • The Baylor Choir •Disciples of Joy •Ralph's World •Orange Sherbet •Big Don •Rocknoceros •Hullabaloo •Jambo •Peter DiStefano & Tor •The School of Rock •The Q Brothers

Thanks

Old 08-21-2012, 10:23 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
I don't know if you can put Die Antwoord in any category, unless there's one for freaky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin