Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:20 PM

473 posts, read 1,328,241 times

Advertisements

The BBQ song:

Last edited by SickOfCalifornia; 08-26-2012 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 06:21 PM

709 posts, read 1,401,590 times
I know this isn't close to Austin but there is a place near La Grange she would probably like. I can't think of the name right now though. We have only stopped there once. We always stop at Peter's which is half way between La Grange and Columbus when we are driving to Houston. I LOVE Peter's! So we only stopped at this other place the one time because my partner wanted to give it a try. It was good, but not really my style of BBQ.

I wish I could remember the name, since with out it this will not be an at all helpful post. lol. It wasn't Prause.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:51 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
A lot of what OpenD has described is specific to Central Texas, which, in many circles, is considered uniquely Texan barbecue, but it doesn't necessarily apply to the entire state.

Speaking for my background, the highlight of East Texas barbecue - from Houston to Texarkana - is the pork and not beef. Brisket takes a backseat to ribs, and, yes, sides do play a significant role. This is what I grew up on.

True, when people come looking for Texas barbecue, they'll be directed to Lockhart, but they'd be doing themselves a disservice to overlook the other varieties found in Texas.

JMHO

Old 08-26-2012, 07:08 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I know this isn't close to Austin but there is a place near La Grange she would probably like. I can't think of the name right now though. We have only stopped there once. We always stop at Peter's which is half way between La Grange and Columbus when we are driving to Houston. I LOVE Peter's! So we only stopped at this other place the one time because my partner wanted to give it a try. It was good, but not really my style of BBQ.

I wish I could remember the name, since with out it this will not be an at all helpful post. lol. It wasn't Prause.
The place you're thinking of is likely the one I was in the other thread. East TX BBQ might be the ticket for Mrs. G.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:11 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
There's a new place in Jarrell that I didn't have high hopes for but now that they're open and I've been there a couple of times, they've knocked my socks off. Not only because the brisket is so tender and juicy (which it is), and the sauce is tasty (which it is), but these people really know how to do sides - they give them the same attention that a good pitmaster gives the beef. Or the pork ribs..
Please tell us the name and if they are open on Monday! An early morning dentist visit in Round Rock and I could be on my way!

Old 08-26-2012, 07:12 PM

597 posts, read 1,317,441 times
She should try the non-local chain bbq places. Voodoo BBQ in Round Rock,etc. The fact that she's all about no sauce means she's not a Texas BBQ person. No shame. I have a brother who I offered to bring BBQ to and all he wanted was sauce. BBQ means meat dripping in sauce to a lot of people.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickOfCalifornia View Post
The BBQ song:
That's actually quite good, although they left out one distinctive barbecue style: Kansas City.

I've had them all, enjoyed them all, and for sure they got it right that Barbecue = Meat.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:48 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Speaking for my background, the highlight of East Texas barbecue - from Houston to Texarkana - is the pork and not beef. Brisket takes a backseat to ribs,
Pork makes me think of the Georgia BBQ I had while working there for a while. Good stuff (I had to learn the difference between chipped and chopped), but definitely what I picture when I think of SE BBQ.

For sides, I have always liked Pokey Joe's, despite its lack of fame relative to the heavy hitters .

Old 08-26-2012, 10:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Dang, I just realized when reading 10scoachrick's post above, that I didn't put the name of the new BBQ place in Jarrell. It's Rider's BBQ & Sausage.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:42 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la60336 View Post
I thought Memphis style was all about the dry rub...
Yes and no. There are actually two Memphis styles for ribs (pork). One which starts with a dry rub, one which starts with a wet mop. But regardless of the start, both get basted with a wet mop sauce during the long slow cooking and again at the end. So it is much more sauce-centric than Texas BBQ. Their barbecue sandwiches are more like Eastern BBQ, with chopped pork piled on a bun, doused with a vinegar based sauce and with a dollop of cole slaw on top. This is almost identical to the style my ex grew up with in Virginia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
A lot of what OpenD has described is specific to Central Texas, which, in many circles, is considered uniquely Texan barbecue, but it doesn't necessarily apply to the entire state. Speaking for my background, the highlight of East Texas barbecue - from Houston to Texarkana - is the pork and not beef. Brisket takes a backseat to ribs, and, yes, sides do play a significant role. This is what I grew up on. True, when people come looking for Texas barbecue, they'll be directed to Lockhart, but they'd be doing themselves a disservice to overlook the other varieties found in Texas.
True. There are actually three distinct Texas styles, East, Central, and West. And it's all good. East Texas is basically Southern Style, slow-cooked pork and sides, as practiced throughout the deep south with local variations. And West Texas style is direct cooking over mesquite, rather than the indirect cooking over oak that marks Central Texas "market" style. But when food writers wax poetic about Texas BBQ... and write their long paeans to the glories of the BBQ trail... well, no offense y'all... but they're talking about BBQ the way it gets done best in Central Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin