Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 02:51 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times

Advertisements

BTW, the snake issue is not unique to Steiner. My mom lives in a condo off of Brodie Lane and has seen more than one rattlesnake in the 5 years she's lived there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 03:33 PM

327 posts, read 774,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
Our dog "discovered" it.
That would be my biggest concern. We have two dogs, one is eight and wise enough not to bother a snake, but the other is still a puppy and curious. Our kids are four and six, so they know what to avoid, but sometimes when they are playing they don't always pay attention to what's right in front of them.

I grew up in Pennsylvania and we had a lot of non-poisonous snakes so I don't fear them, but I do respect them and will give them space. I used to be scared because we'd get big black snakes in our basement, but they were harmless to people and not aggressive. The little garter snakes that lived in our shed were pretty mean though.

I have no experience with Texas rattlers, but where we're living now next to a rocky greenbelt I kind of expect to see one eventually.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansZ View Post
That would be my biggest concern. We have two dogs, one is eight and wise enough not to bother a snake, but the other is still a puppy and curious. Our kids are four and six, so they know what to avoid, but sometimes when they are playing they don't always pay attention to what's right in front of them.

I grew up in Pennsylvania and we had a lot of non-poisonous snakes so I don't fear them, but I do respect them and will give them space. I used to be scared because we'd get big black snakes in our basement, but they were harmless to people and not aggressive. The little garter snakes that lived in our shed were pretty mean though.

I have no experience with Texas rattlers, but where we're living now next to a rocky greenbelt I kind of expect to see one eventually.
I'm from PA too

They make a rattlesnake vaccine for dogs. It doesn't offer total protection, but it can make the effects of a bite less severe. Our dog is 7 years old, but wise isn't exactly the word I'd use to describe her. It is a concern, so she has been vaccinated. In our cul-de-sac of 6 homes, 3 families have had their dogs bitten by rattlesnakes in their yards.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:04 PM

Default Another pic

Here's the same snake that was removed from my yard last night. The Snake Guy took this one today in the daylight. I have to admit, she's impressive.
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another snake post-snake05.jpg  

Old 09-26-2012, 09:43 PM

62 posts, read 77,531 times
Quote:
I'm from PA too

They make a rattlesnake vaccine for dogs. It doesn't offer total protection, but it can make the effects of a bite less severe. Our dog is 7 years old, but wise isn't exactly the word I'd use to describe her. It is a concern, so she has been vaccinated. In our cul-de-sac of 6 homes, 3 families have had their dogs bitten by rattlesnakes in their yards.
I'm also from PA

I lived in North Central PA and we had rattlers every now and then. They scare the mother loving **** out me! My dog has the rattlesnake vaccine - I asked the vet if I could get the shot also - she said no.

If I saw that in my backyard I would move....and I am not joking!

Old 09-27-2012, 10:00 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
My younger sister just got out of the ICU after being bitten. They think it was a rattlesnake, but not positive. I guess they did a few different anti-venoms on her. I think I'll avoid walking in the woods near her house'

Old 09-27-2012, 10:05 PM

Just a little update...

My neighbor just had one removed from her front porch tonight. It wasn't as big as the one we had, but it was a whole lot angrier.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:26 AM

172 posts, read 563,803 times
I live in Lakeway and have not seen or heard of any venomous snake sightings - yet, although being close to the lake & around wooded areas, I'm always on the lookout when I go outside. It seems, however, they are more prevalent in Steiner Ranch. Is this true? Or do we just hear about it more - the SR Snake Guy is so good about posting pics on FB & educating the community.
I can deal w/Scorpions, spiders, Centipedes etc., but am terrified of snakes.
Love Roses - glad your Sister is OK. How scary that must have been for her!

Old 09-28-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur~de~lis View Post
I live in Lakeway and have not seen or heard of any venomous snake sightings - yet, although being close to the lake & around wooded areas, I'm always on the lookout when I go outside. It seems, however, they are more prevalent in Steiner Ranch. Is this true? Or do we just hear about it more - the SR Snake Guy is so good about posting pics on FB & educating the community.
I can deal w/Scorpions, spiders, Centipedes etc., but am terrified of snakes.
Love Roses - glad your Sister is OK. How scary that must have been for her!
I don't know if they are more prevalent here or not. I do remember a few years ago that a women was bitten by a rattlesnake at the Home Depot in Lakeway. It was curled up in a plant in the garden center. She didn't see it (they camouflage VERY well), reached to grab a plant, and it bit her.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:02 AM

390 posts, read 670,957 times
Quote:
I'm from PA too

One of our neighbors did a snake adversion class with their dog after the dog was bitten (and they had a $2000 vet bill despite being vaccinated) in their backyard a couple of years ago. Their dog was young, so I think they thought the class was a worthwhile investment.

The Circle C facebook page had a picture of a dead coral snake on LaCrosse Blvd posted in the last day or so. Several other people have posted about rattlesnakes. I didn't here a whole lot about rattlesnakes last year. Did the drought impact their population last summer? When do they typically hybernate for the year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin