Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:47 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
A concept shared by actors Martin and Charlie Sheen, Jeannine Garofalo, Ed Asner, Whoopie Goldberg and Woodie Harrelson, comedienne Rosie O'Donnell, musician Willie Nelson, former senators Max Cleland and Mike Gravel, former congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, and former governor Jesse Ventura. He isn't exactly alone in that belief.

Look, I hear all kinds of nutty things - usually every morning when the usual parade of leftists show up on Morning Joe. But I listen, because the best way to understand your beliefs is to burnish them against the other side of the argument. I would NEVER label an opposing view as "dangerous" because I don't share it. The original premise of this thread seems rooted in an embarrassment that Alex Jones could even be associated with Austin. I find that association as further proof of our well deserved reputation for tolerance and diversity - which must include thoughts we don't agree with.
Oh Charlie Sheen believes it - must not be crazy!

Winning post.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,777,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Every one of those celebrities is a political lunatic, IMO.

If I were a conspiracy enthusiast, I wouldn't want my name connected to any of those nutcases.
Quote:
Willie Nelson

somebody...get a rope!...

Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaday View Post
I just love how you chose to post that picture. Did you take the time to read any articles out there on what she's talking about or did you just run to find the most "taboo" photo you could find to prove some sexist point?
Oh yes, in fact, I only read Playboy for the articles.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Kohmeht, to answer your original question, Austin gives Alex Jones a platform to spew his opinions (which I agree with you are nonsense) for the same reason that you and I are given a platform here to spew OUR opinions. Which no doubt some consider to be nonsense. It's what freedom (never mind weirdness, unless you consider freedom to be weird) is all about.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Kohmeht, to answer your original question, Austin gives Alex Jones a platform to spew his opinions (which I agree with you are nonsense) for the same reason that you and I are given a platform here to spew OUR opinions. Which no doubt some consider to be nonsense. It's what freedom (never mind weirdness, unless you consider freedom to be weird) is all about.
His rage and hate, his barely contained racism, his incitement to taking arms and making enemies of the state all seem inherently contrary to the laid back, tolerant spirit and ethos of the Austin I know. In not saying he should be run out of town, what I don't get is why he gets a base of support for such idiocy in a town that seems pretty well stacked with intelligent people.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:22 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Unless you're an immunologist, we all get our information from somewhere else. As between a former nude model for Playboy and the CDC...I'll go with the CDC.
My kids are immunized, that doesn't mean everyone's should be. As for the picture, thanks for keeping it classy. Definitely keeping in character.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:28 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
His rage and hate, his barely contained racism, his incitement to taking arms and making enemies of the state all seem inherently contrary to the laid back, tolerant spirit and ethos of the Austin I know. In not saying he should be run out of town, what I don't get is why he gets a base of support for such idiocy in a town that seems pretty well stacked with intelligent people.
The key word in your post is "I". YOU don't get it, and you don't have to. Agree, disagree, and move on. Alex Jones certainly doesn't corner the market on rage, or hate. I also don't understand your criticsm of "taking arms", a protected right. Enemies of the state? I don't understand that either. The government does some (few) things well, but many things wrong. Is it un-American for me to say that? I don't think so.

The very "tolerance" of which you approve should lead you to welcome him and his viewpoints to the airwaves....or are you just "tolerant" of those things with which you agree?

Old 04-25-2013, 12:48 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post
somebody...get a rope!...
Willie is the good kind of crazy.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:13 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,783,174 times
Quote:
Unless you're an immunologist, we all get our information from somewhere else. As between a former nude model for Playboy and the CDC...I'll go with the CDC.

(check out the pic on the previous page)
I'll go with the blonde.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:53 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawkcab5 View Post
At least Glenn Beck is not based out of Austin. He's right up the road in Dallas however right?
Oh, that's OK. We got Jim Hightower in an even swap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: