Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,134,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmith825 View Post
Is there anything that fits the bill (above) that also has views... either of the hills or lake?
dominion at great hills has houses built in 2000/2001. They are all in the 3000-3600 sq ft range, generally much less than 850K (around 600-650K) feed into laurel mountain elementary. Some cul de sacs have block parties and BBQ's but it really depends. Yaupon is built on a ridge so about 1/5 of the houses back up to greenbelt with great hill country views.

Northwest hills has houses on the ridge off mesa, and the schools are good. Westlake has lots of houses with hill country views, but 850 will be on the lower end except lost creek which is a good value in the eanes district.

My recommendation would be to look at lost creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,320,166 times
At that price, I'd recommend Tarrytown. Maybe some areas of Westlake, but Westlake is less central and I'm pretty sure that the homes with those kinds of views in Westlake will be particularly pricey.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:25 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,784,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmith825 View Post
Thanks everyone! Really appreciate all the advice. Centrally located would be ideal and with a budget around $850,000 or so. Schools are important with at least the elementary school being "exemplary" or rated 10 on Great Schools ideal. Lower property taxes are ideal. Also, awe would love to be in a tight knit community if possible. As we will be transplants from out of state, we would love to know and hang out with our neighbors (block parties, BBQ's, kids play groups, etc.). Also, we are looking for something completely updated... maybe 3000-3600 sq feet being ideal... over 4000 is too much for us. No desire to furnish, clean, heat/cool a McMansion.
Not sure what "Centrally located" means. But with a budget of 850K the annual real estate tax would be 15-20K. Not sure what your definition of "lower property taxes" is.

"Exemplary" schools (whatever that means) aren't typically found near downtown.

Block Parties & Playgroups etc. are normally found further out. (& BBQ is a food group....not an activity)

3600 sq. ft. would be considered a McMansion in most areas....especially Central.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 AM

227 posts, read 366,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post

3600 sq. ft. would be considered a McMansion in most areas....especially Central.
No kidding. What do people *do* with all that space? We don't even look at houses with over 2000sf. Now I get if we had 3 or 4 kids, we'd want more, but still...

Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tildahat View Post
No kidding. What do people *do* with all that space? We don't even look at houses with over 2000sf. Now I get if we had 3 or 4 kids, we'd want more, but still...
We LIVE and play in that space. I don't think I'd want to live in a home that's less than 3k sq ft unless I am a senior or infirm. There are many people who like to live in larger homes and they don't have a tribe of kids either.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Not sure what "Centrally located" means. But with a budget of 850K the annual real estate tax would be 15-20K. Not sure what your definition of "lower property taxes" is.

Block Parties & Playgroups etc. are normally found further out. (& BBQ is a food group....not an activity)

Correction. BBQ, in non-Texan parlance, is an activity. firing up the grill, inviting friends/family over, the party is called a "BBQ."

Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Correction. BBQ, in non-Texan parlance, is an activity. firing up the grill, inviting friends/family over, the party is called a "BBQ."
Why not just call it a party?

I'm well aware (& everyone on this board knows) that heathens from elsewhere call a backyard party that serves grilled weenies "a BBQ". Just sharing with the newbie that to most of us who've lived here a while those 3 letters are reserved for meat that's been smoked for 8+ hours. And the term sounds like fingernails on the chalkboard if used in any other manner.

To use it to describe a "grilled weenie party" borders on blaspheme once one MOVEs south of the Red River.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Why not just call it a party?

I'm well aware (& everyone on this board knows) that heathens from elsewhere call a backyard party that serves grilled weenies "a BBQ". Just sharing with the newbie that to most of us who've lived here a while those 3 letters are reserved for meat that's been smoked for 8+ hours. And the term sounds like fingernails on the chalkboard if used in any other manner.

To use it to describe a "grilled weenie party" borders on blaspheme once one MOVEs south of the Red River.
Because we don't, that's why.

You stated that it's not an activity, when it is to many people who don't live in Texas. Maybe state that here in Texas, BBQ is a food group. Funny enough, most Texans I know really don't care what us transplants term things, meat or otherwise..it's not like we're imposing our will on them, are we?

Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Because we don't, that's why.

You stated that it's not an activity, when it is to many people who don't live in Texas. Maybe state that here in Texas, BBQ is a food group.

Since I'm in Texas & the OP is moving to Texas, i kind of thought that the "here in Texas" comment was always implied when answering a question or making a comment.....like higher property taxes & 107 degree summer days?

Funny enough, most Texans I know really don't care what us transplants term things, meat or otherwise..it's not like we're imposing our will on them, are we?
Just sharing information to the newbie. Most Texans also wave when folks let them into traffic & will open doors for people who are coming in afterward. Newbies don't have to do this & if they don't, I rarely feel anyone is imposing one's will on me.

But most newbie neighbors are glad when they find out the difference between a weenie roast & sliced beef from Mann's or City Market.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,109,315 times
Quote:
Not true! In central, south central, and north central Austin there are many excellent public schools!

South: Dawson, Becker (dual language), Barton Hills, Zilker, and Travis Heights (which is being transformed into an in-district charter).

Downtown/central: Pease Elementary, Matthews, Lee, Bryker Woods plus Ridgetop now has dual lg.

North central: Casis, Gullet, Highland Park, Doss, Pillow.

2012 State Rankings Exemplary: Barton Hills, Becker, Bryker Woods, Casis, Dawson, Doss, Gullet, Highland Park, Lee, Matthews, all in central Austin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin