Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 23,369 times

Advertisements

I'd like to move from the Boston to Austin for the warmer climate and affordability, and I'd like to buy a house on acreage in the area. I want to do some organic farming. Live more simply. Do something I like doing and make a little less. In order to offset the cost, I'd like to build another house or guesthouse on the property for a family member. For someone who has never owned a home, I don't know what I'm getting into as far as zoning requirements related to the second house? I'm also interested in natural building; earth-ship or cob, and I'd like to build the second house using a natural method. I keep hearing how green Austin is, but I haven't heard much about allowances for alternative building. Does anyone know if and where this can be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 06:45 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
If you build out in the county (outside of the city limits) there are almost no restrictions. I say 'almost', since I am sure there are a few, but having a second house on a property will not be a problem...the State of TX does not grant any zoning authority to counties. Building codes will be either state level or national - I know next to nothing about that. There are some green builders out there, I see them in the papers every so often, but I don't know any specifics off the top of my head.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Look outside the city limits and outside the ETJ. Also ask if there are deed restrictions on the property you are considering and get a copy and read every line.

I looked for my perfect piece of land for 2 years. I wanted to live in the country but within a subdivision but also wanted just the right amount of restrictions that I could live with. I did find it finally and have been here for 10 years.

The farther away from the city you get..the less restrictions you have on the land but always ask about deed restrictions.

Oh..and ask about water..you may be limited to a single water tap on the property.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:30 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,265 times
If your in the City of Austin you will have zoning and building code provisions.

If your in Travis County, you will have water quality restrictions. If you build in the Edwards Aquifer area, you'll need to meet the requirements of Edwards Aquifer Authority.

Additionally, the State of Texas has adopted the 2006 International Building Code and International Residential Code. Neither the IBC or IRC recognize cob or earth-ship types of construction. It's not prohibited - rather, it means your design will need to be sealed by a Texas registered Professional Engineer or a Licensed Architect and you'll need to convince these design professionals of the validity of these materials. It can be done but it will cost $$.

Your best bet is in the County or even in Bastrop County. But you are required to comply with the State Building Code.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:27 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,051,726 times
Check east of Austin, out near Elgin for example, where the land is better for farming and is still relatively affordable. SE of Austin (Buda, Kyle) and out toward the Bastrop area is also a good candidate for what you want. Also some smaller towns like Lockhart. and Luling.

steve

Old 10-26-2007, 05:54 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,005 times
Dripping Springs seems to have a decent amount of green built houses... you may want to look out that way.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:13 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
The only problem with Dripping Springs is I'm not sure it would be good for farming. Land west of 35 is typically too rocky.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 23,369 times
Thank you for the information. I appreciate the help. Are there any places I should avoid due to flooding?

I have to say, I'm discouraged that there are so many obstacles to alternative building. I thought a place like Austin would be more open to the idea. If they approved some basic but attractive designs that incorporate water harvesting, passive solar, natural light..., and even tax breaks to help encourage their construction, I think it's a win win. The builder/ buyer gets an affordable and nice place to live and the state, county(?)... gets water conservation and other green benefits.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:07 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,265 times
The problem with most of the alternative construction practices is the folks who produce these designs are neither architects or engineers but ask us who are educated and licensed in these disciplines to validate the design at no cost. They believe the contributions to green building negate our liability insurance. It does not. Plus, these materials can have so many regional variables relating to strength, moisture content, etc., that they are not as predictable as other construction materials.

Regarding flood plains, check the city or county website and search for "GIS." Most of the counties in central texas are web-savvy. If they have GIS, you can search the web for flood-plain maps.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:14 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,319 times
You could look into Hays County/ Dripping -Driftwood-Wimberley area .. just stay out of any EJT and you can build nearly anything.. we have neighbors with Haystack houses, real Adobe houses, Log homes and even one underground..
They other posters are correct though, ckeck the land carefully if you plan to farm, its pretty hilly, but nice pastures are still plentiful. Also ditto, read every line of the deed restrictions (if any)

Expect to pay 10-15K/ acre or more .. some are now getting 20K/ acre
Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin