Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 05:46 AM

29 posts, read 44,885 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My family is relocating to the Austin area and I *think* we will focus on Cedar Park when we house hunt. My husband is already working down there, but the kids and I stayed behind and don't plan to move there until right before school starts in August.

I am trying to find a preschool for my daughter who will be 4 in August, but my idea of preschool seems to be quite different in TX. Preschool where we live is generally 2.5-3 hours max. The next option besides that is full-time daycare. It seems like anything part-time in TX is more like 4-5 hours, is that right?

I am trying to find something now since I think it will be hard to find a spot right before school starts. I am trying to call around to all the schools and narrow it down so i can send my husband to visit 1 or 2.

This is what I am looking for, please let me know if you can recommend anything.
1. Part-time only. I don't want a place that has full time kids and part time kids. One of my kids went to a preschool like this, and I always felt like he was a visitor and never really bonded with the other kids since the majority were full-time.
2. Classes grouped by age. A lot of schools where we live lump 3-5 year olds together. I want her to be with kids her age.
3. Have a curriculum, so she will be somewhat ready for kindergarten (letters, numbers, etc). I am under the impression that some (but not all) MDO's are strictly for the moms to get out, so kind of like babysitting (but maybe I am wrong). However, it doesn't have to be crazy academic. No, I'm not expecting her to read... just write her name.
4. Follows Leander ISD calendar. We will likely focus on this ISD when house hunting, so it would just be easier to follow the same calendar as her brothers in elementary.
5. Religious based okay, but not necessary.
6. I am flexible on the number of days... Ideally, I want her in a 3 day program this year and there is a good chance we will hold her back a year so some kind of pre-k (for older 4's, young 5's) would be great. But like I said, I am flexible and would totally take 2 days if that's all I could get.

If you know of anything that I might be interested in, please let me know! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 07:31 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,218,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymaci View Post
Hello,
My family is relocating to the Austin area and I *think* we will focus on Cedar Park when we house hunt. My husband is already working down there, but the kids and I stayed behind and don't plan to move there until right before school starts in August.

I am trying to find a preschool for my daughter who will be 4 in August, but my idea of preschool seems to be quite different in TX. Preschool where we live is generally 2.5-3 hours max. The next option besides that is full-time daycare. It seems like anything part-time in TX is more like 4-5 hours, is that right?

I am trying to find something now since I think it will be hard to find a spot right before school starts. I am trying to call around to all the schools and narrow it down so i can send my husband to visit 1 or 2.

This is what I am looking for, please let me know if you can recommend anything.
1. Part-time only. I don't want a place that has full time kids and part time kids. One of my kids went to a preschool like this, and I always felt like he was a visitor and never really bonded with the other kids since the majority were full-time.
2. Classes grouped by age. A lot of schools where we live lump 3-5 year olds together. I want her to be with kids her age.
3. Have a curriculum, so she will be somewhat ready for kindergarten (letters, numbers, etc). I am under the impression that some (but not all) MDO's are strictly for the moms to get out, so kind of like babysitting (but maybe I am wrong). However, it doesn't have to be crazy academic. No, I'm not expecting her to read... just write her name.
4. Follows Leander ISD calendar. We will likely focus on this ISD when house hunting, so it would just be easier to follow the same calendar as her brothers in elementary.
5. Religious based okay, but not necessary.
6. I am flexible on the number of days... Ideally, I want her in a 3 day program this year and there is a good chance we will hold her back a year so some kind of pre-k (for older 4's, young 5's) would be great. But like I said, I am flexible and would totally take 2 days if that's all I could get.

If you know of anything that I might be interested in, please let me know! Thanks in advance!

Both of these meet all of your requirements and are well-thought of. The first is secular, the second Christian-based.
home
First Foundations Preschool

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin