Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 03:23 PM

7 posts, read 30,471 times

Advertisements

I live in Zilker Park and I'm looking to build a permanent detached garage. I have a few issues I need to contend with.

Like most houses in my area, my garage will be in my backyard, which means, I have a long driveway run to the garage itself. I'm currently at 45.3% (3490 sqft) impervious cover, but 33% of that (1138 sqft) is driveway.

I'm 585 sqft short in impervious cover allotment to build a bigger garage. My questions are:

How hard is it to get a variance?
Do I have options as far as materials that would reduce my impervious cover?

Thanks for any help/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 03:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
The best option is probably to make the driveway permeable... a gravel driveway, or permeable pavers.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:42 AM

It sounds like doing driveway runners is our best bet. I hate the way they look, but I guess I don't have a choice.

Am I better off doing pavers or concrete?

Old 08-04-2012, 05:56 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,632 times
Pavers for sure - it's easier to keep them level as the years go on, and if one breaks - easier to replace! It's a bit more work putting them in, but easier to maintain.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:44 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,015,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
The best option is probably to make the driveway permeable... a gravel driveway, or permeable pavers.
I've never checked but I've been told that Austin does not consider gravel to be permeable. It's so stupid an idea, it makes perfect city government logic.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,055,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
I've never checked but I've been told that Austin does not consider gravel to be permeable. It's so stupid an idea, it makes perfect city government logic.

It appears that in some cases it is excluded from "Impervious cover" but if used for a driveway may still have to be counted.

Quote:
http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Texas/austin/thecodeofthecityofaustintexas?f=templates$fn=defau lt.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:austin_tx$anc=
§ 25-1-23 IMPERVIOUS COVER MEASUREMENT.

(A) Except as otherwise provided in this section, impervious cover is the total horizontal area of covered spaces, paved areas, walkways, and driveways.

(B) Impervious cover excludes pools, ponds, fountains, and areas with gravel placed over pervious surfaces that are used only for landscaping or by pedestrians.

I can see that making a certain amount of sense, if the gravel surface is used for a driveway automobiles will compact the soil and it will shed water rather then absorb it.

Last edited by CptnRn; 08-06-2012 at 05:33 PM..

Old 08-07-2012, 07:24 AM

547 posts, read 1,434,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxman1100 View Post
I live in Zilker Park and I'm looking to build a permanent detached garage. I have a few issues I need to contend with.

Like most houses in my area, my garage will be in my backyard, which means, I have a long driveway run to the garage itself. I'm currently at 45.3% (3490 sqft) impervious cover, but 33% of that (1138 sqft) is driveway.

I'm 585 sqft short in impervious cover allotment to build a bigger garage. My questions are:

How hard is it to get a variance?
Do I have options as far as materials that would reduce my impervious cover?

Thanks for any help/advice.
You have no options for reducing impervious cover with the garage itself, but as others have stated you can tear up your existing driveway and use impervious cover for the new run back to the garage.

As for the variance, it can be difficult and time consuming. IIRC, your variance has to be approved by the city, but a notice is also sent out to everyone who lives around you and they all have to approve as well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understand is that if even one person who is notified objects then the entire project is off.

I explored this issue when I was considering a detached garage in the Zilker neighborhood. Builders advised me that it is a lengthy and frustrating process and that you're much better off making decisions that do not necessitate a variance.

If you're curious I have not yet build the garage. I was considering building a garage apartment above it, which is why I would have needed the variance. My lot falls short by 150 sq ft for allowing a second living unit.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the responses, I think I'm going to take everyone suggestion on the pavers. Another question: What is the rear setback for a garage? Also, does anyone have the definition of an "accessory" building?

Context for the question is that I want to build the garage with flex space (~300 sqft) that I want the option to convert to an office and potentially plumb for a toilet.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:36 AM

I expect that building inspection will consider pavers as a paved area, 100% impervious cover.

With some work you might be able to find the answers to your questions here Online Tools & Resources | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin

The FAQ here FAQ | AustinTexas.gov - The Official Website of the City of Austin under Uses and Development Standards on my property – What is permitted? if you click on Residential Zoning the pdf file that downloads says that for most residential property the interior side property setback is 5', a street side yard setback is 15' and the rear yard setback is 10'. I don't the rear yard setback has always been 10' as there are several houses in my neighborhood with the back of the garage closer to the rear property line then that.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:01 PM

Looking for a better definition of impervious cover I found this:

Quote:
http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Texas/austin/title25landdevelopment?f=templates$fn=default.htm$ 3.0$vid=amlegal:austin_tx

§ 25-8-63 IMPERVIOUS COVER CALCULATIONS.

(A) Impervious cover is calculated in accordance with the Environmental Criteria Manual.
(B) Impervious cover calculations include:
(1) roads;
(2) driveways;
(3) parking areas;
(4) buildings;
(5) concrete;
(6) impermeable construction covering the natural land surface;
(7) for an uncovered wood deck that has drainage spaces between the deck boards and that is located over a pervious surface, 50 percent of the horizontal area of the deck;
(8) interlocking or permeable pavers, except up to 20 percent of the area of the pavers may be excluded in calculating impervious cover if the pavers are approved by the director for recharge enhancement under Section 25-8-151 (Innovative Management Practices); and
Given that they count a wood deck with spaces between the boards as 50 percent impervious cover, I can't imagine them not counting pavers with narrow cracks between them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: