Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 04:26 PM

9 posts, read 37,354 times

Advertisements

We were in Austin last weekend and fell in love with Belterra. Now I am reading about the propane scam and the water costs....we already live in Texas and are used to the taxes. So I have a few questions for you residents if you would be so kind....We drove through Circle C and thought it was nice...but didn't see the hill country views that we loved in Belterra. Are they there (for under 300K)? I see that Highpoint has natural gas....are the water costs the same? How are the schools in Circle C? I have heard mixed reviews for Dripping Springs, but that new elementary school looked pretty nice...

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 07:08 PM

314 posts, read 1,230,764 times
They are all awesome neighborhoods with lots of kids and lots of social activities.

In Circle C, you do not have the view but the commute is easier. The taxes are also much lower, but prices are higher for what you get.

Belterra taxes are lower than Highpoint, but I personally would still choose Highpoint. It just feels good to me - but everyone likes different things.

If my husband did not have to work in town (off SW Parkway), we would move to Highpoint. However he is unwilling to deal with the traffic. I have a neighbor who has to go to the airport each week, and he moved to Shady Hollow because the commute from Sawyer Ranch was too much.

So it just matters what you need/want.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:04 PM

40 posts, read 130,900 times
my wife and i chose highpoint. we haven't moved in yet, but we,re excited. its a lovely place and besides whats a longer commute when there's jazz.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:07 PM

75 posts, read 467,578 times
Belterra and Highpointe are both really nice communities with lots of green space. We chose Belterra so that we can walk my child down the street to school each day (elementary). It's a huge brand new school. My highest propane bill which was last month was $211, and in the middle of summer, it ran at an average of $50 for a 3000 sf home, so i suppose it runs high when it's cold, which isn't for much longer. I don't know if it's a scam, but the propane company can charge high prices being a private company.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:23 AM

351 posts, read 1,431,738 times
I have resided in Highpointe since 4/06. What really did it for me was the lot sizes and terrain. The lots give you nice room between houses, our street has lots around 16K. With that though, there is a lot of mowing and high water bills.

As far as the commute, I work on 6th and Brazos, it takes about 25 minutes to get to work at 6-7am. I tell my employer don't dare schedule me 9-5 If I did come in at that time though, it would be about a 45 minute commute. My wife used to work close the the airport, she had slowdown just a handful of times during her employment out there. She worked 9-6.

The community was originally supposed to be 100% Pulte, but because of the economic downturn across the country they were forced to sell off land. Wilshire Homes then moved in. Most recently (12/08) Pulte has sold ALL interest in the land to another developer,Hanna/Magee LP. I believe they are the developers of the Meridian @ Circle C. This is good news since they are privately funded and will have hands on interest in our community. Pulte still will be out here though selling what lots they have kept in the transaction.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:27 AM

95 posts, read 569,350 times
I can only comment on Circle C & Meridian, no info on Belterra.

Commute would be great for both.
Elementary schools are Exemplary here!!
No hill country views, but this means, no hilly streets for kids/toddlers learning how to ride their bikes. Nice flat cul de sacs & Streets.

V. family oriented communities. Still building a lot in Meridian & def has homes around 300k

Old 02-24-2009, 02:27 PM

675 posts, read 1,905,723 times
Circle C has fantastic schools. It also has a great park - the Metropolitan Park (off Slaughter). I think the two things it has over High Point and Bel Terra is a Central Market/ HEB hybrid grocery store and lack of a commute. I would think the distance of High Point and Belterra would affect the resale value, unless Dripping gets some giant companies to locate there/ employers that will help. The commute to me is unappealing. Schools are very good in both places.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 13,360 times
I live in Belterra and feel there is no scam on the propane or hte fact it is a water district. You should always do your research before purchasing anywhere. I have had natural gas and propane and i do not see a big difference in the price. Belterra has 400 acres of open green space and play areas. It is an awesome place to raise a family or retire...

Old 06-20-2010, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 12,389 times
Default 5 Years in Belterra

We built a large, one story house on a greenbelt in Belterra 5 years ago and love the view (can't see the neighbors behind us!) and there are so many walking paths and open spaces with grand views of the Hill Country here. Rooster Springs School, K-6, opened 2 years ago in Belterra, and the Dripping Springs ISD is the highest ranked public schools district around.
In nearby Dripping Springs, there is a new Walgreen's and a H.E.B. supermarket is due to open in July. Near HWY 290 West & RR 12, there is also a great fine dining restaurant, the Creek Road Cafe, and the new Flores Mexican Restaurant is only 2 miles past Belterra.
The traffic congestion that some people complain about occurs at the 290/Hwy 71 "Y" which is 7 miles East of Belterra and has been a problem for over 20 years. Texas D.O.T. is finally finalizing a solution that could be started in 2 years.
We have reluctantly decided to list our lovely 3000 sq. ft. home because we want to downsize for our retirement years, but we will miss all that Belterra has to offer.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:40 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,436,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senorakristen View Post
We were in Austin last weekend and fell in love with Belterra. Now I am reading about the propane scam and the water costs....we already live in Texas and are used to the taxes. So I have a few questions for you residents if you would be so kind....We drove through Circle C and thought it was nice...but didn't see the hill country views that we loved in Belterra. Are they there (for under 300K)? I see that Highpoint has natural gas....are the water costs the same? How are the schools in Circle C? I have heard mixed reviews for Dripping Springs, but that new elementary school looked pretty nice...

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful info!
The elementary school that is new does not feed into Circle C. It feeds into Meridian and other areas. Some people complain about the noise from Nutty Brown (music amphitheater) that live in Belterra. Belterra and Highpointe are further from Austin. If you want to live in SW Austin, I would shoot for Circle C or Meridian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin