Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 06:33 AM

11 posts, read 14,195 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my family and I are relocating to Austin in the next month for a job opportunity. I'm familiar with Austin from a lot of travel there, but have no insight to the neighborhoods and school systems. I've read through similar threads, but haven't found a similar scenario with the same likes and dislikes my family has.

These are the things that are important to us. If you can take that into account and recommend areas for us to look into further, we'd appreciate it.

Family of four, one child in high school (10th), one in middle school (7th). The one in high school is leaving a medical magnet program here in Florida and would love to continue in a similar program if it exists. The one in middle school is a tech kid and would like something similar if there's a school specializing in technology. Regardless, we are looking for good strong schools.

My new employment is just south of downtown near I-35. A 30 minute commute, 45 max would be ideal.

We would love some land with out buildings. We spent the last 10 years in a near zero lot line home and would love some space. Minimum would be 1/2 acre, but really hoping for 1-5 acres if it's possible. The outbuilding I'm looking for is a garage/shop for working on jeeps (for fun, not commercially), but clearly want to avoid ordinance/HOA issues that would prohibit having a shop.

Would love water access or views.

Low crime, good shopping for groceries, standard retail.

Budget is 250-400k, but looking for good value/investment. I don't want to go to the latest trend that has a high premium that may not last.

Thanks! The whole family is really excited about moving to Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 07:43 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,446,532 times
You can check out Dripping Springs / Driftwood, but you will be hard pressed to find anything with that lot size for under $400K

Old 08-04-2013, 08:32 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,658,733 times
You might try looking in the Leander, Liberty Hill area for land but in Liberty Hill area you are going to find fewer school program options than you mignt find in Leander schools due to it being a larger school district.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
You might try looking in the Leander, Liberty Hill area for land but in Liberty Hill area you are going to find fewer school program options than you mignt find in Leander schools due to it being a larger school district.
But if he's working south of Downtown near 35, there's no way that's going to be less than the 45 minute commute max he desires.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:49 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,739,043 times
Northwest or Southwest Austin would be best for shopping and schools.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:57 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,118,706 times
You can't get what you want at your price range. What are your priorities?

You can get the land but not the commute or schools.

You can get the schools and the commute but most likely in a master-planned HOA community in SW Austin. Or something even closer in (on a small lot) and send the kids to probably the best schools in the area (AISD Kealing Academic Magnet MS and Liberal Arts and Science Academy LASA magnet) and have very little commute.

But you will give up the acreage.

If it helps, the total package of what you want (acreage, close-in, strong schools, good shopping) is hard to find in Austin at any price range!

Old 08-04-2013, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the recomendations. So far, we've been looking at dripping springs and to the south east, such as Cedar Creek, Bastrop through San Marcos. How would the commutes be from those areas? How would you characterize those areas?

Old 08-04-2013, 12:05 PM

Liberty Hill and Leander look nice, but I'd hate to drive through downtown to get to work everyday. I'd prefer a 30 min commute on streets that are an interesting drive as opposed to rush hour traffic on expressway(if Austin has a lot of that)

Last edited by WhiskeyMike; 08-04-2013 at 12:24 PM..

Old 08-04-2013, 12:11 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,118,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyMike View Post
Thanks for the recomendations. So far, we've been looking at dripping springs and to the south east, such as Cedar Creek, Bastrop through San Marcos. How would the commutes be from those areas? How would you characterize those areas?
It tells me that you are prioritizing land over schools. (Dripping Springs would have the best schools out of the lot). And most likely if you commute at typical times, you are stretching beyond 30 minutes -- especially during the fall and winter.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyMike View Post
With the exception of Dripping Springs, your commute will be hell and frankly, those schools are not the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin