Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 02:53 PM

57 posts, read 158,496 times

Advertisements

The segment of Ronald Regan north of Hwy 29 seems to be quite popular among cyclists. There is a broad shoulder and low traffic, so I understand the appeal. As a driver, though, I do not understand this: Why do so many cyclists choose to ride on this shoulder, hugging the dividing line? Cars and trucks are zooming past mere inches away at 70mph. I see this everyday! Did I say the shoulder was quite broad? I guess it is somewhat understandable, when they are riding two abreast. But why would someone riding alone choose to ride so close to traffic? Baffling. If it were me, I would ride as FAR away from traffic as I could! Is it just carelessness? Or is this some kind of misguided assertiveness? I understand that pedestrians and cyclists are entitled to use the road as much as drivers, but in this age of distracted drivers, this is plainly reckless. It is just a matter of time before a fatal accident occurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 02:55 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
Well, my guess is that it is due to the debris on the shoulder. Most shoulders are very 'clean' near the roadway and very 'dirty' near the outer edge....

Old 08-27-2014, 03:01 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
The segment of Ronald Regan north of Hwy 29 seems to be quite popular among cyclists. There is a broad shoulder and low traffic, so I understand the appeal. As a driver, though, I do not understand this: Why do so many cyclists choose to ride on this shoulder, hugging the dividing line? Cars and trucks are zooming past mere inches away at 70mph. I see this everyday! Did I say the shoulder was quite broad? I guess it is somewhat understandable, when they are riding two abreast. But why would someone riding alone choose to ride so close to traffic? Baffling. If it were me, I would ride as FAR away from traffic as I could! Is it just carelessness? Or is this some kind of misguided assertiveness? I understand that pedestrians and cyclists are entitled to use the road as much as drivers, but in this age of distracted drivers, this is plainly reckless. It is just a matter of time before a fatal accident occurs.
As someone who does NOT go north of 29 on a bike(on Ronald Reagan), I'll offer this explanation: Parmer and Ronald Reagan are notoriously trashy along the shoulder and the debris only gets worse as one moves farther to the right(edge). The 60-70+ mph traffic does a decent job of blowing the junk a few feet to the right of the 'fog line'; but not very far. I ride as far off the fog line as is practicable based on the condition of the shoulder.

I don't know any cyclists who 'asserts' themselves physically into 60+mph traffic...especially along Parmer/RR where the bubbas in their diesel pickups are known to perform that delightful 'blast the exhaust at the cyclist' routine.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:02 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,982,479 times
Quote:
Usually it's because there's a bunch of trash and crap on the shoulder. And overgrown grass/brush.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:28 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,740,504 times
Yes, usually debris for a wide shoulder like that. For bike lanes it is usually debris, trash cans, and parked cars that steer me towards the road.......and of course preparing to make a left turn.

Those Parmer shoulders are wide enough for two abreast with a nice buffer to the street if I recall.

Last edited by verybadgnome; 08-27-2014 at 03:38 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 04:19 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,985,481 times
Tires on road bikes can easily get flat tires from sharp objects and debris that gets blown into the shoulder.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:13 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,099,534 times
Quote:
Is this in Austin?

Old 08-28-2014, 03:14 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,099,534 times
Quote:
Are you trying to seemed concerned for the well-being of cyclists? You're not doing a great job.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:00 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,561,432 times
Did an informal 'study' today on my ride from Avery Ranch to Parkside @ Mayfield Ranch. Again, this is NOT north of 29, but the road conditions are similar(although the construction traffic north of 29 certainly is lighter than that along Ronald Reagan from 1431 up a few miles).

It appears that the highway speeds of larger vehicles(among other things) will only blow debris such as pea sized gravel and broken glass a foot or two off the fog line. The intersecting roads with 40 mph speed limits have sand and small rock debris just a few inches off the fog line. I'm sure there are many other factors at play; but I do wish TXDOT would run the sweeper trucks along those stretches a bit more often. Generally speaking, the shoulders in this general area are quite wide and in very good shape and quite conducive to bicycle traffic....although, I am glad I took the 29er with the knobby tires rather than my road bike with the skinny 110psi rubber (better workout, I reckon )

Old 08-28-2014, 08:30 PM

256 posts, read 321,265 times
I just have to say, I went to high school in Liberty Hill (just west of the intersection being referenced) and I can't believe to see mention of hwy 29 on here. That area must be growing like crazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin