Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:15 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,061,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
More people plus rising property values should equal more tax revenue.
So this shouldn't be a problem. But why is it?
In a nutshell, it's because the established core areas subsidize growth and sprawl. The new tax base created by new subdivisions doesn't cover the costs of establishing and maintaing the infrastructure such as roads, utilities, services, fire/police, etc.

There was a pretty detailed writeup about this somewhere, sorry I don't recall where I read it, maybe in the Statesman but I think it was somewhere else, that broke it down with actual numbers. It was pretty stark and eye opening.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 07:31 AM

912 posts, read 1,286,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
In a nutshell, it's because the established core areas subsidize growth and sprawl. The new tax base created by new subdivisions doesn't cover the costs of establishing and maintaing the infrastructure such as roads, utilities, services, fire/police, etc.

There was a pretty detailed writeup about this somewhere, sorry I don't recall where I read it, maybe in the Statesman but I think it was somewhere else, that broke it down with actual numbers. It was pretty stark and eye opening.

Steve
What I don't understand is this: A lot of the outlying subdivisions don't want to be annexed. It's a losing proposition for the city to annex them. So why in the world is the city doing it? It doesn't make any sense. There have been multiple articles in the statesman about how the annexation of areas in travis county has made it more difficult for travis county esds to make ends meet... so if it's more difficult for austin to cover that area, I really can't figure out why they keep pushing annexation.

I haven't noticed more litter, but I haven't been out much this summer. If there is an increase in litter - actual trash - then you should contact the city and tell them. Ask for more trash cans, if you see places where they are needed. They need to be held accountable for their lack of interest in maintaining the city. Austin isn't going to be less weird if there are fewer empty cans of lonestar on the side of the road.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:21 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
Quote:
A lot of the outlying subdivisions don't want to be annexed. It's a losing proposition for the city to annex them. So why in the world is the city doing it?
When a subdivision or area is annexed, there is often a decrease in taxes on the residents living there - they trade their various ESD taxes and usually higher MUD taxes for COA taxes. Again, usually (although, not always) resulting in lower taxes. The tax burden that was tied directly to the subdivision is now spread around the COA. The reason people don't want to be annexed is due to the increase regulatory overhead - building codes being one of the main ones, but all the general city ordinances apply (max. number of pets in a house, for example). In any case, you will often find that there is a split between people that want to be annexed and those that don't. The anti-annex group is probably louder, because if you hear anything at all about annexation, it is during the actual process of annexation.

So, why does the city do it? One is long-term financial planning - those negative cash flow, newly annexed areas will one day be part of the core city and will be self sustaining (or sustaining other areas). Another is long-term infrastructure planning - if you don't (or can't) control development around the city, then you can't really control the traffic load in the city. Any area that is going to be annexed is in the ETJ already, so there is some 'control' already. One reason to annex an area is to extend the COA ETJ further out; however, the ETJ is currently 5 miles, so that is not a big issue. Some of the annexation (much?) is to prevent a different city from annexing the area and encircling the COA.

Anyway, I don't think there is any rampant annexation going on right now, and the last few I have heard anything about resulted in huge reductions in taxes (for the annexed areas) while increasing services.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:30 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesmer View Post
What I don't understand is this: A lot of the outlying subdivisions don't want to be annexed. It's a losing proposition for the city to annex them. So why in the world is the city doing it?
I don't think it's a losing proposition for the city. I believe they make a lot of money. They wait until the infrastructure and debt of a subdivision is already paid off before annexing; then when they annex, the additional cost to service the area is minimal. But the income added can be huge -- it's not just the property tax windfall, it's also the water/wastewater and trash service revenue.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:44 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,002,897 times
Ok, since we're talkin trash here I'm going to give my two cents...

The thing that I noticed upon moving here are the restrooms at any given location. Filthy. Absolutely disgusting. Even some of the hospitals have floors with wax build up and the dirt, (among other things) is trapped in the wax. Ugh.

Having been a paid cleaning person for a good portion of my life I can understand because if you don't pay well for those jobs you're going to get what you pay for. And it appears to me the people doing the cleaning in and around Austin are not getting paid very well. Or, perhaps I haven't been to the really clean ones, ("ones" being toilets).

Please, point some out so when I have to "go" while in Austin I don't have to experience what I have seen so far.

Regarding the trash in the city: Does the city have a well paid sanitation crew or are they paying sub par wages under-the-table?

Old 09-04-2013, 03:58 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,898,816 times
About the unkempt highways: Traditionally Austin has kept a "no mow" policy with respect to mowing medians and the like, the justification has always been to allow the wildflowers to grow. In the spring, it works great and the medians around 360 and the like are beautiful with bluebonnets. However, as the summer end nears, the extreme heat of summer has killed off most grasses and everything looks crispy. Occasionally you'll see the mowing crew out in the fall or winter though.

Trash in the river is mainly because of all the construction of the boardwalk and the construction workers a lot of times throw their trash in the river. I presume it'll all be cleaned up in time for by the boardwalk opening date.

Part of what has been mentioned is Austin, it's just laid back with respect to lawn maintenance, if you want sterile mowed lawns along freeways go to Dallas.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:21 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,281,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

Steve
I'd really like to see that, because my visceral reaction is that newly annexed areas are positive cash flow for the COA. All infrastructure is relatively new - no replacement costs for years. Almost no utilization of social services. Takes YEARS to extend library branches (10+ between annexation and construction of the OH branch). Fire and police - many times, the ESDs continue to deliver fire because the city can't justify building a fire station.

Again - I can be convinced I'm wrong - just like to see the evidence.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:25 PM

109 posts, read 161,774 times
It's BS that there's no middle ground between sterile and unkempt. Austin is shocking compared to other cities. Weed-filled vacant lots in the middle of town, overgrown grass in parks, no sidewalks and overgrown trees on streets that should be perfectly walkable. It's not about weird - it's about people being slackers and having no standards whatsoever. If your only basis of comparison is Dallas, Disneyworld, and Anaheim, you need to get out more.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:31 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,886,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackenziep View Post
It's BS that there's no middle ground between sterile and unkempt. Austin is shocking compared to other cities. Weed-filled vacant lots in the middle of town, overgrown grass in parks, no sidewalks and overgrown trees on streets that should be perfectly walkable. It's not about weird - it's about people being slackers and having no standards whatsoever. If your only basis of comparison is Dallas, Disneyworld, and Anaheim, you need to get out more.
Well said! I was just out at two appointments, and drove through the part of town around Braker/Metric/Duval. It was nauseating how blighted the area looks. Crestview looks about as bad. Allandale used to be a superb neighborhood, but if you drive the streets you can see a few junky properties.(not nearly as bad as Crestview). It wasn't that way even 5 years ago. A lot of far west Austin is still beautiful, but the city proper is a mess.

I think what will happen is that people who are disgusted by Austin's blight will leave at first chance, and plenty more people who tend not to care will move in. Overall, growth will continue, but the city will gain national attention for its blight. It seems to be a type of culture that is gaining a foothold in Austin, and it's a shame to see the results.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:45 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,061,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I'd really like to see that, because my visceral reaction is that newly annexed areas are positive cash flow for the COA. All infrastructure is relatively new - no replacement costs for years. Almost no utilization of social services. Takes YEARS to extend library branches (10+ between annexation and construction of the OH branch). Fire and police - many times, the ESDs continue to deliver fire because the city can't justify building a fire station.

Again - I can be convinced I'm wrong - just like to see the evidence.
OK, I dug up what I read:

This one explains that the total cost of each new housing unit is $26K to taxpayers, and is not recouped from new taxes.
http://www.fodorandassociates.com/Re...n_Exec_Sum.pdf

and

This one is more about how Austin taxpayers subsidize large commercial projects such as the Austonian.
http://costofgrowth.com/Cases/Tax-Inequity-Texas.html

It's boring wonky reading, but that's the case with most solid research writing.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin