Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 10:53 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times

Advertisements

Commuting from one side of town to the other (whether it's north to south, west to east, etc) is always going to be bad, that's just normal. So I wouldn't consider that a detriment to the location.

My dh and I sacrificed alot (size..no 3 car garage around here!, newness, etc....) to be closer to where we work. I don't want to pick on/dis anyone, but your commute can be a lot less horrible if you give up on somethings to be closer in. Or at least don't complain about bad traffic if you choose to live far out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 10:56 AM

238 posts, read 763,252 times
The Bilbrook house looks nice. Unfortunately, it shows as pending.

You're on the very southern edge of Austin if you buy that far south, and you're looking at a drive if you're working downtown. I've never made the trip, but I imagine it's at least a half hour, each way, in traffic.

I've looked at the same area, but I'd prefer to get closer in, if I can.

Those prices are, as Steve said, typical for that neighborhood.

Personally, I'd rather shoot myself in the head, than live in Georgetown or Pflugerville, but that's just my opinion ;0

Seriously, though, the commute from up north is from hell.

On the cat thing... I don't know, but I'd be very surprised if anybody tried to take your cats away, in Austin. That sounds more like a Georgetown thing.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:05 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Aww, I'm sure that could happen in Austin too. Georgetown isn't the backwoods place you're making it sound like. Although I have to agree the commute into town would be pretty annoying. Actually, one of the couples we know in Georgetown lives on acreage and has more than a few cats and noones tried to have them taken away. And their neighbors have several cats as well.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:15 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
I live in Round Rock - I am not "conservative" (not sure what you are meaning by that - but I vote liberally and we are not Christian) and I have not had any problems, in that regard, with living here.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:00 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,398,282 times
No offense to Round Rock, I may very well be living there in a year. Just heard "conservative" and the only specifics were general voting records. I'm not that radical actually, but having lived in a *very* conservative sub of Milwaukee I don't think I ever want to do that again.

I was raised in a staunchly republican family and I find the environment rather stifling and not very open to other points of view. Sort of blind belief based primarily on the pocket book.

I don't think the democratic part is the be all and end all, however. Actually, I'm fairly bi-partisan in that I don't trust many (really any) politicians of any ilk.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:08 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,466,427 times
Who built it? Steve, do you know who the builder was?

Old 11-24-2007, 01:13 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
Who built it? Steve, do you know who the builder was?
KB built all the homes in Hillcrest (the one on *****rd). They all have 4-sides brick and a lot of square footage for the money, but the finishouts are "apartment grade" as I call it.

Texas Oaks I'm not sure, but probably Milburn. They look like Milburn homes, pretty well built for starter home product and with good floorplans that hold up over time.

Steve

Old 11-24-2007, 04:24 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tashina View Post
I like most of 78749 better. Some parts of 48 are a little iffy, I think and you have to watch the flood maps very carefully around there (available online). Some mobile home parks in the area but mainly nicer ones. Most of 48 is fine though. I've been here a couple years, and if I was doing it again, I'd move to 78749 (not Circle C, but the slightly older houses - Western Oaks, etc).
Circle C is 78739 not 49 and way more expensive than the house posted above.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:26 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
I must first say that I'm no where near buying (haven't even visited yet), but I'm scoping out the realestate market.

This home seems nice, is reasonably priced and in Austin proper. It isn't my dream house, but I can't afford my dream house so I've moved on to acceptance.

Listing Details (http://www.austinhomesearch.com/Search/Details.aspx?li=451811&or=12&cp=1# - broken link)

Is there anything significantly undesirable about the location?
This neighborhood is middle class. It's about 50% white and 35% hispanic. You can get more stats from zipskinny. I think the schools aren't up to par.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:44 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,617,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Both are typical for what can be found in South Austin in the 78748 zipcode.

Why do you think there might be something wrong with either home?

Steve
Agreed. Also that is a KB home. Keep away.

That is an average style home out here in Austin area btw. That home looks like a KB also. Dime a dozen out this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin