Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 02:38 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times

Advertisements

This weeks Austin Chronicle has an article about ZZ Top. In it, they talk some about how Austin use to be and what it is now. Here is a quote I thought interesting.

Quote:
ZZ Top, and Gibbons personally, have strong, deep ties with Austin. Moving Sidewalks, whose second of only three reunion performances occurred at Austin Psych Fest in April, were inspired by and associated with Roky Erickson's 13th Floor Elevators. Gibbons attended UT briefly in 1968, studying art and political science. He credits pioneering KOKE FM as inspiration for Fandango!'s "Mexican Blackbird."

"Austin's become very sophisticated, and I think the groundswell that started long ago for it as a cultural and musical destination has solidified and it's become a source of importance for the players and the observers. Look at South by Southwest now. It draws people from all corners of the globe. It's really something to speak of.

"This is a question that comes up from time to time: 'Well, it ain't the Austin it used to be!' Well, it's never gonna be the Austin that it used to be! And that could be 50 years ago or 50 minutes ago. And the complainers can go and stand in that corner, but those who are willing to move forward and go with the flow have my vote. I certainly have no qualms about enjoying the novelty of the way it's progressing.

"You want to complain about traffic? Well, find me any community with any semblance of civic activity. At certain times of day, people are going to be out and about. Do you really want to spend all your time complaining about that?"
Since these guys are among my idols, I guess I'll try to heed their advice and complain a little less.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 03:03 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Billy Gibbons gets it. I've always been a ZZ top fan and this just makes it that much nicer.

Wish they would play at the F1 race sometime. I think the international fans would really appreciate it, and they are actually from Texas (unlike the previous headliners).

Old 12-29-2013, 03:44 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,279,589 times
Fondest memories of listening to the almost "house band" at the St. Luke's Teen Canteen - Moving Sidewalks. There was no doubt what Billy was going to do for a living, even when he was in the 11th grade at our alma mater, Robert E. Lee. He came from a musical family - his dad was a concert pianist.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:33 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
Amen brother Gibbons, amen. Could not agree more.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:10 AM

215 posts, read 351,198 times
People like Gibbons don't have transportaion problems. Gibbons can wipe his as* with 20 dollar bills. I am sure he can get where he needs to without an issue.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:54 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
He can wipe with Benjamins if so inclined.

He's saying the same thing as I have for years. Most of the complainers are these nOOBs who say, "When I moved here in the '90s" or "12 years ago". LMAO at them.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:56 PM

404 posts, read 712,288 times
easy to lol at the mad traffic from your helicopter big rockstar

the rest of us grunts have a right to whine kick and scream

of course, he's right.. it changes nothing really

Old 12-31-2013, 08:19 AM

I think he's simply stating an attitude toward life in general. A live and let live, "who moved my cheese" approach to change.

He would probably say something similar about the music industry and all the changes to that business. In fact ZZ Top changed up its music quite a bit in the 1980s, and stayed relevant. Even today they can draw a decent crowd for a show.

I'm not saying I don't have a problem with the traffic. It's just going to get worse. But in the end, I can either move, stop driving or just acclimate.

Steve

Old 12-31-2013, 08:57 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,981,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Gone View Post
People like Gibbons don't have transportaion problems. Gibbons can wipe his as* with 20 dollar bills. I am sure he can get where he needs to without an issue.
Unless he's taking a helicopter _literally_ everywhere, he experiences the exact same traffic as everyone else. Congestion is the great equalizer.

And he can't take a helicopter to a show downtown, to lunch, etc. because there are no helipads.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Unless he's taking a helicopter _literally_ everywhere, he experiences the exact same traffic as everyone else. Congestion is the great equalizer.

And he can't take a helicopter to a show downtown, to lunch, etc. because there are no helipads.
Yep. Frank Beard owns a home on Lake Travis. He has to drive 2222 like everyone else, as do his friends and guests.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin